1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

San Mai Japanese-made Tanto series and titanium ti lite discussion

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by jencarlos, Mar 23, 2019.

1. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    Not true, the gray Ti-lites are bare, beadblasted titanium. I had six VG-1 versions at one point, down to the last one now.

This one I went a little over the top on the anodizing;)

[​IMG]

~Chip

The Whip and nephron like this.
  2. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Wow...that's some electrochemical art there....

WValtakis likes this.
  3. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Yes, the Blue Anodized have a polished blade, at least all examples I have seen. I think CS mentions it being polished in the Catalog too.

4. jencarlos

jencarlos

Sep 23, 2016
    Apologies. I must be incorrect. I guess it just the blue one then. Thanks for the correction!

:)

5. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Had to check my Ti-lite to see which style false edge it had...couldn't remember. It has the square transition, but I definitely like the curved transition better, so yet another reason to continue looking for a VG-1 version...

jencarlos, WValtakis and nephron like this.
  6. jencarlos

jencarlos

Sep 23, 2016
    I need to start an arc angel thread after this :D. along with the histories as typed by @jlauffer, we could have all of cold steel's cool exotic early stuff documented

nephron and jlauffer like this.
  7. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    I decided to delve into my archives to do some research on this topic myself. (I know this isn't very impressive scholarship now that Cold Steel has added many years of catalogs to its archive on the new Web site. But I have a few different catalogs than what appear on the site. Plus, mine still show the original prices!) Here's what I learned with regard to the early Ti-Lite history.

The Ti-Lite was introduced in the Spring 2001 catalog. The only version was the gray titanium-handled model (26S) with the Gen 1 features.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the pocket clip had the bead-blast finish. The description doesn't mention the pocket clip material, but it's steel. How do I know that? Because the model doesn't change for the 2002 catalog, but the description now includes that fact.

[​IMG]

The Spring 2003 catalog sees the introduction of the blue, anodized titanium model (26SB) and the Zytel-handled version (26SP). While the description still specifies steel clips, only the original model's clip is shown and it's still the bead-blasted version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the 2004 catalog, all three clip styles are depicted, one for each model. The new swedge appears, but only on the Zytel version.

[​IMG]

2005 brings the introduction of the six-inch Ti-Lite (26SXP, only available in Zytel and not yet designated the Ti-Lite VI). This is also the year that the clips are switched to plain, polished steel on all of the four-inch models. (Note the unique, slotted clip on the six-inch version. This was only used for two years. When I saw a picture of one of these several years ago, I had forgotten about their existence and was fooled into thinking it was a counterfeit!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have a 2006 catalog (it's an inexplicable gap in my collection that bothers me like an unreachable itch!), but Cold Steel's archive (thanks for the link, Ken) shows no changes that year from 2005.

[​IMG]

The 2007 catalog describes the change to VG-1 steel for the titanium models and AUS-8A for the Zytel models. The photo depicts the Gen 1 titanium versions, however.

[​IMG]

By 2008, the titanium models were gone, replaced by the 7075 aluminum-handled versions, available with both four- and six-inch blades. Based on what I've seen, no photos of the Gen 2 titanium-handled Ti-Lites were ever used in the catalogs. Even when the descriptions changed, the knives shown were Gen 1.

-Steve

8. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Excellent!

The Whip likes this.
  9. jencarlos

jencarlos

Sep 23, 2016
    I wonder what they used to color the steel pocket clips. Thanks for the info, @The Whip !! :)

The Whip likes this.