1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Saying "I'll take it" and not paying

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by rockgolfer, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    "i'll take it" is an offer to buy. You accept that offer by saying you accept, by sending the knife, or by saying "I'll take it means the poster of those words has purchased the knife." Otherwise, there is no deal and you are free to sell to someone else.

I think the custom here is that "I'll take it" obliges the offeree to promptly pay. Promptly. That includes promptly doing what needs to be done to arrange payment - as in asking "What's your PayPal Account Number?" if he it's not in the sales thread.

If there is a deal, delaying payment is low class, even for non-"professional" buyers.

2. NinjaRyder0920

NinjaRyder0920 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Just as others have said...add "expect quick payment" or "payment to be made within ___ hours" otherwise the item is again available to the next person in line. I have had to do this in the past and it just helps keep the thread moving. Just keep in good communication about it, stay polite and carry on!

3. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Although I have not sold here I do other places. I alway like the buyers who want to negotiate on price a bit and once we finally agree then says "let me see if I have enough funds in Paypal" (and they usually don't). Umm, isn't deciding whether you can actually afford it the first step before even negotiating?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

4. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I've had this happen also and that's why I never mark a knife SPF or Sold until I get the paypal notification that the funds hit my account. Had too many people pull the disappearing act before. Marking an item SPF or Sold just makes other people pass over when they see it, some never return, some do.

5. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    I don't buy from anyone who won't give me an SPF for a reasonable amount of time. The reason I do that is when I was overseas the connection could be so crappy at time that it might take me 15-20 minutes just to get into paypal. I didn't like the idea of the knife being sold out from under me while I was trying to pay. I'd especially not like having my payment go through and find out it had been sold to someone else. Once I got back to the US I don't have the connection issues, but still want a fair amount of time to pay. By fair, I mean an hour or so, in case I get called away from my computer.

6. AF1928

AF1928 Banned BANNED

Dec 13, 2016
    I think the beauty of Bladeforums is the concept of integrity. Not everyone, but the vast majority of members have it......at least in my experience. The learning curve here is steep.....but not unreasonable.....and tends to weed out the more undesirable buyers.

7. Undefeatable

Undefeatable

Feb 28, 2015
    Oh I agree. Like I said in the second part, if someone says they can't pay right away, but can send payment later, that is fine. I will essentially hold the knife as long as they stick to the ballpark time they said they would. I have had people say that they will send funds and then I never hear back from them, so I dont make it SPF on the thread, I just let other people who inquire about the item the situation.

8. flipe8

flipe8

Oct 24, 2005
    It's a tick-off, for sure. I just had it happen very recently with not one, but two members. One emailed me directly, while the other stated in the thread he'd take it. Neither did. It's poor etiquette, plain and simple.

9. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Rockgolfer, I'll take it. I'll just let you know in advance. I don't have an email. No phone number, my PayPal has been disabled. I'm on the government no fly list, and have been trespassed from all mailing locations within 900 miles, and I've been selected to fly to Mars, tomorrow..... On a one way mission.......

Is that knife still available? Because I posted "I'll take it." On 4 other knives that are the same, and I have questions about all of them...... Like what is the blade steel???......Are they good for self defense???........Do these handle scales make me look fat?????

Also, now that I've indicated I'm passingly interested in the knife (well, at least mildly curious) and sabotaging your sales thread, would you take 1/10th your asking price if I tell you a sad story about my cat's health?

On a side note, I had a member with no feed back and no PayPal ask me to hold a knife till he got paid.......

I indicated I would. Held it for a month. He contacted and said the USPS money order was enroute. I told him great, I'll let you know as soon as payment arrives. I got another email asking where the knife was (after a week). I told him no money order no mailing the knife. Eventually, when he realized I was not going to run out and mail because he assured me the money was on its way, he blamed the "old lady" for not mailing the money order. I did get the money order, two weeks later, and sent the knife. It was a disaster, but I was honestly surprised the money order came, and was legit.

I was pretty annoyed he did not leave me any feedback...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  10. Kyui Su Kim

Kyui Su Kim Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Sorry to hear that. It is incredibly annoying but the best thing to do is just keep track of their name and ignore them if they ever come back to another of your sales posts. I keep a text document with a list of names of folks that have demonstrated that they are less than honest or will not hold to their word and I just ignore their posts by immediately replying that the item is still available. I think some of them have figured it out. :/

11. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    I understand, and probably shouldn't have picked you to quote. I remember back to a time when I posted an "I'll take it" in a thread, and the seller replied back with not only his paypal email, but with the statement that the knife was still available until someone sent him the money. I replied to that by saying that in that case I'd leave it for someone with a faster connection.

12. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    I should do that, I've had my time wasted a few times too. I put the person on my ignore list, so I don't mistakenly let them waste my time again.

13. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    One thing to keep in mind when dealing with registered members is that the BF email system is not reliable. They could have sent an email for the PP address, but you just never got it. This happened to me recently. Not saying there aren't plenty that say I'll take it with no follow up(also happened recently), but it is something to be aware of.

14. Brusiedmeat

Brusiedmeat Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2015
    I've had a guy string me along for about a week and then he backs out. Problems with paypal, bla, bla, bla.. It sucks but my meals fortunately do not depend on knife sale, so you put them on ignore list and move on. I try not to hold anything unless I have prior transactions or you are a well known member.
    There are also knife/scale makers that have been under fire, I will avoid if I hear about negative press on multiple occasion. Even if I am interested in their products.
    As a Man, your word is all you have, especially in the internet. "I will take it" should be considered as a binding statement.

15. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I have to agree with this 100%. Even if you're surfing the forums on your phone, then you should be able to bring up your Paypal app*, enter the seller's address, and send him the funds.

I think the real issue here is that what you're seeing an epidemic of how people do business online these days. It's easy to say you want something, but when you have to actually pony up the funds, a lot of tirekickers balk at the completion of the deal and pull a vanishing act.

*Which is a free download that takes seconds, btw

16. 10after10

10after10 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I put the following in my terms & conditions of sale.

"- I will confirm sale by providing you with my PayPal email.

- PLEASE BE PREPARED TO PAY IMMEDIATELY upon purchase confirmation. Otherwise no sale, sorry."

My feeling is that if you have time to look and shop online for a knife, then you have time to pay for it without undue delay. And if you don't read terms & condition of sale, oh well.

It's probably not a perfect solution for everyone to avoid the problem as originally stated by rockgolfer, but it's the best thing I can come up with for myself.

17. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    :thumbup:

Yes; that is the way it should be and that is what people need to adhere to in the knife community.

18. RLDubbya

RLDubbya HMFIC

Dec 21, 2016
    I've never sold here, but have bought quite a number of times (here and elsewhere): if I say "I'll take it" that carries a burden which includes: I've made up my mind and want the item; I will pay within 30 minutes - if I cannot, I will contact seller by all means and let them know what is up, and ask politely for grace -; and until I send the money, the seller can choose to deal with somebody else.

Having been in a situation where I was unexpectedly hospitalized with no warning and placed in a medical coma for a week, I can also say "Stuff happens." I would never expect a seller to wait for me in those circumstances (and frankly, I have other things on my mind), and I will do my best to explain when I am able to be at a computer again.

Perhaps adding some wording to the effect that until money changes hands there is no deal, and you reserve the right to halt a transaction in process at any time until there is a deal, is enough.

Sorry this happened. It sucks when people are not responsible enough to even keep their word as a bond.

19. RLDubbya

RLDubbya HMFIC

Dec 21, 2016
    That is a good point. As a buyer, with no immediate intent to sell anything, I solved that problem by forking out for a gold subscription so I have access to PMs. It's a small price for me to pay to facilitate communication on deals.

20. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    If I say I'll take it, I have the funds ready for immediate transfer. I guess I'm spoiled because I expect the same thing in return when I am selling. If you can't pay immediately, then communication goes a long way. I can't stand someone saying they'll take something and then go missing.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.