Scale knocked out of alignment

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by inkynate, Nov 23, 2019.

1. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    So it's fire season again and I batoned up a bunch of firewood in my garage a few days ago. For the first time in literal years of doing this, an errant blow on the handle end of my fat BG FSH must have missed the tang and struck the scale hard enough to shift/bend the flared tube and knock the micarta out of alignment (usually only do this to level out the blade).

I managed to turn it over and knock the scale back into place. Everything is square again and the scale is still tight, but I suspect the tube is permanantly weakened now and more likely to move out of place and or loosen up after more use.

Assume Busse will take care of me if/when that ever happens, so I plan to just keep using it and not worry about it too much, but was curious if anyone else has seen this and what action was taken, if any?

2019-11-23 11.21.11.jpg

gorshi, luethge and WatermanChris like this.
  2. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Yeah man that can happen....you can use a "Punch" with flared shoulder to center and re-seat the flare.

[​IMG]

3. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks Busto, I'll look into one of those to have on hand.

4. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    They are Dirt Cheap every toolbox needs a set!!!

5. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    if ya got a harbor fright near, that's where I got mine...very handy as Busto said-- no reason not to have a set or two

inkynate and vkp78 like this.
  6. Busto

Jul 26, 2011
    Because they are so Cheap it's good to have a couple of sets and I've modified them to do a lot of crazy tasks. I have sets for doing critical Firearm tasks as well as Junk ones ground down to a nub for fixing Tube Flares....;)

inkynate likes this.
  7. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Will definitely pick up a set. Was just out in the garage busting up some more wood and, on closer inspection, can see that the first tube on my FSH is out of round.

8. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Oh yes, this has been reported on occasion. Happens to some folk who like to throw their knives.

chiral.grolim likes this.
  9. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Didn't someone once mess up the handles by shooting it with a .50 BMG?
    I'm pretty sure Busse would still fix it.

10. Busto

Jul 26, 2011
    I don't recall the caliber being mentioned, but yeah they were shooting at the cutting edge and splitting bullets when either a fragment or whole bullet hit the scale...Jerry posted photos along with the letter to show damage and show what great customer service Busse provides despite knucklehead shenanigans:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Why not split with a 40$ axe if your at home? Thats a lot of work to baton wood for the winter (tedious)..I understand at a camp site when your away from the heavier tools...Do you though. Rock on!

12. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I had one a comp finish Bush Wacker Mistress.

The previous owner shot the blade on the flat with .50 BMG armor piercing round!! It ended up in two big main pieces. With a few shards. The shrapnel did damage the upper portion of the Micarta (little bits of jacket embedded).

I got the busted pieces and nice sheath as part of a purchase of another intact Busse from him.

Sold the pieces and the sheath separately (I had thoughts of making an folder out of part of it, but never got around to it).

The shooter knew the al.50 AP round at 90° angle would shatter it. He did it to 'prove a point'.

As to OP, some users will drill out the tubes, and replace them with a threaded tube and screws on either side to make the scales removable.

If you have a plastic dead blow hammer, you might also be able to shift the scale back with out too much work.

13. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    We generally make fires for the ambiance, now, not really for heat. Since the amount of wood that needs to be processed at any given time is small and it's fairly convenient to do the work in the garage, I prefer to baton. Plus I think it's fun. :)

I do have a good splitting axe that I'll use outdoors on larger rounds, etc, when needed. My last house was much older and had a proper wood stove. In that scenario we went through a lot more wood and I used the axe most of the time. Only batoned to make kindling.

14. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    No way... :D

extrastout likes this.