1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Scammed out of $500.00 by cro91 / Marin Topic / Brandi Via

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by notsnhoj, Jun 17, 2014.

1. notsnhoj

notsnhoj Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I am posting this in hopes of preventing someone else getting taken by this guy and his wife. Here is my tale of woe:

Looking for a Busse SHSH2, I found one in this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1043345-Shsh2?highlight=shsh2

I contacted cro91 via PM on 4/26/2014, and he responded promptly. He sent me photo's and we settled on a price on 5/2/2014. He asked for a USPS Money Order and gave me a PO Box address to send it to. He has received 23 positive feedbacks and rates at 100%. He has not been active much on the forums.

In good faith I mailed him the MO on 5/5/2014. His wife, Brandi Via, who had emailed me the pics, confirmed receipt of the MO via email on 5/7/2014.

During the following two weeks, Brandi Via and I had a number of emailed conversations, with me asking if/when the knife had been shipped, and her giving me excuses about why it had not yet been shipped - weather/kids being sick/living in mountains causing bad Internet reception/etc. I last heard from her on 5/21/2014.

From 5/21/2014 to 6/13/2014 I have sent both Brandi via email, and her husband Marin Topic via PM, a number of requests to reopen communications with me, without success. The last two communications have informed them that I intend to name them publicly via this forum. In my last email on 6/13/2014 I told them that I would go ahead and post if did not hear back from them in 24 hours. Four days have now passed with zero response.

This is information I have on them, and have come up with doing some simple Internet based searches:

- MO was mailed to PO Box 39, Rollinsville, CO 80474.

- Brandi's full name in Brandi Nichole Via. She is 26 years old. Her email address is [email protected].

- She is listed as owning property in Gilpin County - 1670 Karlann Drive, Blackhawk, CO 80422.

- A job search showed she worked at Green Room Consulting at some time.

- There is at least one other property owner in the area with the last name of 'Via', so perhaps the Via family are long-time residents of the area. This address is 133 Wallens Place, Blackhawk, CO 80422.

Hopefully their next would-be victim will do a search and come across this thread. My advice is to give them both a wide berth!

Edit 6/18/2014: Pics of actual knife sent to me by Marin Topic / Brandi Via before we closed the deal - see Post No. 26 below.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. Marko3

Marko3 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Geez...Why do people have to be this way. It always mystifies me when after these people receive the money then all the sudden loose internet or car is broken some mysterious illness ,,,,ETC .

Maybe we can put enough pressure on them to get this settled.

3. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Contact the postal inspectors. Mail fraud is a felony in EVERY state!!

4. truth-seeker

truth-seeker

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm sorry about your loss, But I don't like outing people in public until I've tried everything else giving a persons home address and naming a 26 year old female leaves her open to harrassment and worse.
    If she cashed a money order and didn't deliver the promised goods, get in contact with the law thats fraud and stealing.
    She got got it through the us mail? Thet's Federal mail fraud a felony. Start by contacting calling the local authorities where they reside. Just don't give up.
    For what its worth the few times I use a MO I always write what its for someplace on it.

5. notsnhoj

Oct 14, 2002
    Done - thanks.

6. notsnhoj

Oct 14, 2002
    All details posted are public record. As I mentioned I have tried numerous times to contact them over the past three weeks with zero response. They know they owe me the knife and have chosen to ignore that. I have filed a complaint with the US Postal Inspection Service. I have kept the mailing receipt as well as the MO stub and also have a pic of the MO itself should they need it. It says for SHSH2.

7. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    The 26 year old female had no problem taking the five hundred dollars, she was given plenty of chances. She and whoever else is involved should think about consequences of their actions, before attempting to rip people off.

8. notsnhoj

Oct 14, 2002
    Thanks for your post. My thoughts exactly.

9. opscwo

opscwo

Dec 14, 2005
    Sorry for the loss. I too had dealings with Brandi Via, on a different forum for a gun sale. After several emails, etc. She did finally send the gun as it was described. Good luck.

10. notsnhoj

Oct 14, 2002
    Thanks. I have my fingers crossed. If they don't send the knife, I will be more than happy to get my money back too!

11. keroscene

keroscene

Nov 9, 2013
    It's terrible that we live in an era where a man/woman's word doesn't mean shit! People have become so terrible that nothing amazes me anymore. Really sorry you're in this situation bro. Hope u get a blade or $$ real soon! And I hope karma unloads a 100 megaton nuke on those that have betrayed you!

12. uofaengr

uofaengr

Jan 9, 2014
    Seems the vast majority of his posts are either buying, selling, or trading. Might not be a fair assessment, but even if someone has a high amount of good feedback but never contributes anything else to the forum, I generally do not buy from them. Gives me a funny feeling.

13. sirupatespecial

sirupatespecial

Oct 16, 2013
    Based on your dealings and Opschwo comment I would guess that they are selling items that they don't currently possess. Taking your money, and others, and then trying to produce the items they have "sold". I hear it happens a lot. But what do I know.......

14. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    It is always a good idea to err on the side of caution and if you don't feel right about a deal or person don't go through with it.

I will say that I've had a few deals with members who mostly just stay around the exchange and they've all went smoothly. This past month I had a trade with a member who has good feedback but the last one was from later 2011. Went just as well as any other. I'm just saying that you can't judge a book by its cover. All you can do is go by the information presented and your gut.

OP, it's a shame how some people conduct themselves. I hope you get made whole. Good luck.

15. RevDevil

RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    Good post Benchwarmer. I sent the cro91 account a private message with a link here.

16. wazu013

wazu013

Dec 14, 2011
    I agree with Jill. Why should you worry about a scam artist being exposed to the world? Any and all forum buys need to be protected some how. Maybe another scammer will see what could happen if they rip someone off. Post any new personal information you get as well. Keep after them!!

17. Sande5412

Sande5412

Dec 30, 2012
    This makes me sick hearing that im truely hate seeing this happen to anyone!! Now growing up my parents never taught me that your word is everything, ive learned that through my elders, and honestly its one of the best things they ever taught me. You would think with all this technology it would give more and more opportunities, but instead alot of times ive noticed its more opportunities to steal from people. Its sad really. I wish you best of luck brother!!!!!

18. dcbowtecher

dcbowtecher

Jan 21, 2010
    Get your money back and forget the knife!

19. notsnhoj

Oct 14, 2002
    Maybe a bit harsh but I know where you're coming from! I will say, however, that I firmly believe that by far the majority of folks are trustworthy. Stuff like this just spoils it all for those of us that are.

20. notsnhoj

Oct 14, 2002
    Thanks and I agree with all your comments!