1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Scotch-Brite belt conditioning

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Robert Erickson, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    I have some Scotch-Brite belts that I've been using for a few months now that seemed to be getting clogged. My questions are: 1) when do you know they are unusable? and 2) can I use a rubber belt "eraser" like I use on regular belts or some other means of re-conditioning them?
    Or do I just bite the bullet and buy new ones when the scratch pattern seems irregular?

2. They don't last forever but they do last for a while. I did some searches on the matter here and I found that a couple guys were mixing up dawn dish detergent with water in a five gallon bucket and soaking them in it for a day or two. They said it brought them back to life nicely. I haven't tried this yet so I can't say for sure.

3. Burton Harruff

Burton Harruff

Oct 1, 2007
    I like to give it a spray of wd 40 once it starts running. Seems to cut nice might just be in my head though. Give it a try.

4. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    +1. This is exactly what I do. It works.

The WD40 trick works well also.

I replace my SB belts maybe once every year or so.

5. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks everyone, I'll give those things a try!