Season 3 Knife or Death

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by ShannonSteelLabs, Aug 28, 2019.

1. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    Season 3 discussion thread!!!

Excited to see how the competitors did on this season!
    Best of luck to all our friends here who competed and to makers who made knives for the show!

2. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    Great job Donovan Pillips!!!
    First winner on S3!!!

Murphjd25, JJ_Colt45 and WValtakis like this.
  3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    It looks like it's a continuation of season 2. I think it's Ep. 9. Strange how they broke up the season the way they did. Donovan was a beast!

ShannonSteelLabs and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  4. Currawong

Currawong Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 19, 2012
    Colin didn't you get a knife on there? I think I saw a pic somewhere, looked like a great knife.

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  5. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I’ll have to catch up next week when I get back from vacation! I got the DVR all set up while I’m gone!

6. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Yes. There is a short sword prototype on this season.

@91bravo I'm not sure why they split season 2 into 2 seasons.
    But it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

JJ_Colt45 and 91bravo like this.
  7. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Hopefully It does well enough that season 4 is a possibility.

I have a few ideas for a KOD blades!

8. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    I hear that they were currently filming for the next season of KoD. Not sure how true that is. There's a 2 hour special on tonight! Maybe your sword or a Bladeforums member will be on TV tonight!

9. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Welll shit that's a bummer.
    If that's true they have been super secretive of a new season. I follow a few pages for the show. I havent heard anything really.

91bravo likes this.
  10. David Saldivar

David Saldivar

Aug 30, 2019
    I don't understand how this show made it. They have a bunch of grocery store samurai swinging blades they bought and not made. How is that exciting?

11. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    All I can say is, sign yourself up and go show em how it's done!

12. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Most of the contestants made the knives or had the knives custom made.
    Yea the first season had a couple of people with the typical katana or crappy online Ebay knife.

But season 2 had quite the showing of people who researched the first season. The knives made for the show are pretty impressive.

13. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    The show's been on long enough, that folks know to bring a good blade now. Honestly, I think any good quality blade with a good quality steel, will get through the course just fine. It's folks that don't know anything about knives, that bring the junk on to the show.

JJ_Colt45 and ShannonSteelLabs like this.
  14. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Exactly.

Even any basic carbon steel will survive. 1084, 5160, 8670 etc.
    Just have to make sure heat treat is good, and edge geometry is correct.

15. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I don't understand how some people can think a light weight sword that's made to cut flesh is going to hold up too beating it on hard objects. A couple of those swords looked like pretzels after the beating they took. I guess some folks just don't do their homework.

16. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    I'm sure some people just applied and didnt do any research whatsoever.

I remember first season. Two people BENT Katanas. This course is 90% hard targets like wood and ice.also some plastic if you make it to the final round.

17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I watched some of last night's show, but had to go to bed, so I DVRed the rest. Looking forward to watching the rest tonight!

I couldn't do this competition, since I just don't have the upper body strength for the chopping. (I just started watching this year, have any women won yet? I'm rooting for them!) I do know that if I did compete, I'd sharpen the darned blade, though. I think I saw the first guy last night using a little pull-through "sharpener" o_O:eek:

91bravo likes this.
  18. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Congratulations to @Mecha! What a helluva run!

19. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I'm enjoying watching this show, but I gotta say, when they bisect the raw chicken it triggers my germophobia. The slow motion shots of salmonella spraying all over...:eek:

ShannonSteelLabs and 91bravo like this.
  20. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    The sharper the knife the less the splatter! Lol

r8shell likes this.