1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Seasoned veterans, I need your experience

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Mr Krieg, Aug 22, 2018.

Sheepsfoot or Clip Point?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2018.
  1. Sheepsfoot

29.3%
  2. Clip Point

70.7%
  1. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    This Spear is not too bad either ;)

[​IMG]

neal70, meako, knowtracks and 7 others like this.
  2. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    That would solve all the problems, unfortunately only one for now. But may end up with both eventually

neal70 likes this.
  3. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    Sadly I shouldn't get both at the moment. Will definitely be the always on me knife. Might have to find a reason to get the other some time down the road

neal70 likes this.
  4. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    A couple of my buddies who have a little interest in knives say the same thing. That I should get a sheepsfoot blade. Variety is the spice of life. But they are both so good looking

neal70 likes this.
  5. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    I think I saw on their website they have some shufflers likely to come in 8/31. So might not have to wait too long. But they have a natural micarta Dom available now that is tempting me

neal70 likes this.
  6. 155440

Aug 7, 2012
    If you think you're gonna carry the sheepsfoot blade more because it's a change of pace from what you're modern folders offer, than go with that, otherwise the clip is more versatile as a primary blade.

neal70, Prester John and Mr Krieg like this.
  7. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    Definitely a fine knife, the spear point just doesn't do it for me. I think it's specific to the lionsteel RH, but the shape just seems forgettable I guess. Just my opinion though, I know a couple people that swear by the spear point blade

Will Power and neal70 like this.
  8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    It's OK, all is subjective aesthetics.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've never understood the fascination for Spey blades, particularly singles-absurd :D

neal70, WinchesteRalox and Mr Krieg like this.
  9. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Well I know for me, the Dom spoke to me first. I kept an interest on the Roundheads and Shufflers, but until the Dom rolled out I wasn't expecting to buy one for a good long while. Roughly a week and a half or so after I got my Dom I was able to get a Shuffler and jumped at the chance. No matter what you choose they're really great knives.

I use them as I do my mini Grip or Manix and they've been great to me. I cut a lot of cardboard and the Sheepsfoot really lends itself to that type of cutting. It may not be the best to carve up an apple, but it does the job just fine. I carry the Clip just to change up from the Sheepsfoot. My Shuffler's actually in my pocket right now, though so I really do love them both, haha.

I know I always stayed away from Sheepsfoot blades because I like knives that have points, and holy cow was I underestimating the puncture power of the Dom and most Sheepsfoots out there(if they're shaped right). It's beyond sharp, it can draw blood just from a touch.

neal70 likes this.
  10. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    The Dom spoke to me first as well, will probably have both eventually but will pick one for now

neal70 likes this.
  11. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    Well despite the large preference to the clip point over the sheepsfoot in the poll. I couldn't control myself and I jumped on a lionsteel Dom (the sheepsfoot blade). there is a couple reasons I chose to go with the Dom. The first being that it was readily available and seeing so many good ones on other posts I was getting excited. It also was available in the natural micarta which is the cover material I chose. I have another knife with micarta handles and I really like that it seems to get more 'grippy' when it gets wet (working with sweaty hands). The biggest factor though, was mentioned by a couple posters that it can be a nice change up to my current collection, enough so that it may entice me to carry it more. I really appreciate the input from everyone and I will do my best to update the post with some pictures when I get it. Thanks all

12. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    Clip all the way usually. im certain to say almost 85% of my collection of traditionals and knives in general are clips. Just not a huge fan of the muskrat clip or california clip. Usually prefer bowie style or something to that affect. In terms of utility it is versatile in many aspects as many have mentioned. Also ive tried the 35, i wish they can take out the 2nd blade and have perfect regular clip, not a canted one. perfect one blade clip equal ends knife.

neal70 and Mr Krieg like this.
  13. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Get both! In all seriousness, I am a huge clip point fan. A majority of my collection are clip points. I like to have something with a belly. But I don't scoff at a straight edge.

Both blade shapes are great.

JTB_5, neal70, dc50 and 2 others like this.
  14. Mr Krieg

Mr Krieg

Feb 3, 2014
    Both will most likely be in my possession at some point. Will see how it goes carrying the Dom. It will be a real change of pace from my usual carry being a chris reeve small sebenza, which gets probably 85% of my pocket time. But only time will tell.

However, I am looking forward to the slowed down more deliberate approach of a slipjoint. Sometimes with the modern folders, they are so easy to manipulate one handed and perform the cutting task, that you don't really notice the knife much. I think that's why it seems like the traditional guys appreciate their knives a bit more. Because the knife requires you to slow down and pay attention

15. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    As far as the two knife carry, this is my favorite combo, both in carbon steel. I normally carry a stockman, with clip, sheepfoot and spey blades, but with two single blades you get perfect ergos on the handles without any closed blades messing with the grip. The linerlock tab on the Bulldog rides perfectly between my two fingers for a very comfortable and secure grip.

3¾" Bulldog USA (GEC made) Montana Trail Lock in ram's horn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3½" A. Wright & Son Guardians' Real Lamb Foot in ebony
    [​IMG]

16. Shurke

Shurke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Clip and sheepsfoot are my two favorite blade shapes, and for users I seek out knives that have both. Having said that, upwards of 90% of the time, I find myself using the sheepsfoot over the clip.

If I was going to buy one and only one Lionsteel barlow, I'd go with the Dom.

neal70 and Mr Krieg like this.
  17. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    REASON ?
    what's that?
    Legend has it that long ago in the mists of time last century about 1997 an ancient parchment was unearthed from deep beneath the bowels of the porch.
    Scribed in a lost language of strange symbols akin to hieroglyphics in blood ....it is rumoured or so I've been told...to depict an almost human like face with a drooling mouth and swivelling eyes that seem to gaze reverently at a primitively scratched knife-like symbol. There are two hands....one clutching a wad of cash...the other with coins spilling out it's palm...
    The literal translation of these simplistic rudimentary symbols of a bygone world ...is
    No Reason At All....!

Or so I've read..

18. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I think you'll like the Dom @Mr Krieg. I have the Shuffler and I like it a lot, but the sheepsfoot is a really fine blade for most tasks (not that the clip isn't). If you get the itch to try a carbon steel knife, I'll add another vote to those who mentioned the #35 Churchill. It has really smooth action and is one of the most versatile two-blade knives you can find.

Mr Krieg likes this.
  19. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Whenever my knife has multiple blades, the sheepsfoot gets used the most. If there is more than one knife in my pocket, the sheepsfoot comes out most often.

Mr Krieg likes this.