1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Sebenza 21 lock problem

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Sergeua, Jul 14, 2020.

Do you consider my knife to have an issue at all?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    @Sergeua you are a patient person for trying to explain the situation and engage with the people here, but you’ll never get neutral opinions.

This is a CRK fan forum, aka an echo chamber of CRK fanboi circle jerks. You are going to get condescended, made fun of, meme-d, and flooded with life advise about how to use a CRK from the fanbois.

Reference the Seb 31 lock rock thread. Some people took it as personal attack whenever the illusion of CRK’s perfection is at risk. See how ugly the situation become. Fellow CRK fans turning on each others, personal attacks on people integrity etc. Some people here still has PTSD and holds grudge from Cold Steel vs Sebenza lock test videos from 4 years ago like it was some kinda traumatic life event.

So if you are looking for consensus here that there’s a problem with the lock, you’ll never get it here. Save yourself some trouble and deal with CRK directly(of course im contributing to the pool of unsolicited advice).

P.S. INB4 offended people start digging into my post history and start putting labels on me, it was nice watching the tempest in this teacup.

2. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    With regards to the above underlined. It is not a detent ramp.

In his book: Tactical Folding Knife: Bob Terzuola discuss the reason for knocking off this "leading edge".

From looking at yours it might be that the leading edge was knocked off a bit too much resulting in what you are experiencing. This is done by hand in CRK.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  3. gastonian

gastonian Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    I get what you’re saying about trying to show what happens when the lock starts to slip. I just believe that the framelock lock, which relies on friction, was not designed to be subject to repeated failures like you have shown. I believe that the more you fail the knife the easier it will be to get it to fail, as you mentioned your lock face is smooth and lost friction.

Again, I totally understand your frustration with this. Have you reached out to CRK? I have reached out to them in the past for an unrelated issue and the service I received was excellent!

4. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    I'd hope members here don't act this way.

There are two things at play here. A design question, and a this particular sample question. For the design question we can have a long-winded discussion about locks, mechanics, and geometry. Probably better suited for another thread.

For "this particular sample" question the only good advice if you have a failure, experience a fault, or thing something might be broken is to contact CRK. It's very hard for them—professionals who build these knives—to diagnose over the internet. It would be close to impossible for a large internet community of enthusiasts to diagnose over the internet. @Sergeua thanks for the post. If you do decide to send it in we're all curious how it turns out.

5. AKWILD

AKWILD Christi crux est mea lux Platinum Member

Nov 13, 2011
    This is a non starter for me. I have owned over 100 CRKs and never been unhappy with the lock on any. Use the knife as intended and be happy. Or sell.

kidcongo and loon#r like this.
  6. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    @Sergeua

Whats happening brother?

These are just my “internet expert” thoughts. Haha. No need for anyone to agree, but...as far as I understand...the lock face on the tang of a blade is cut in either an arc or on an angle. This is partially for clearance or the lockbar back edge would catch the blade. Remember, the lockbar is travelling in an arc as it closes.
    The other reason for the arc or angle is to have the lockbar hit the blade tang perfectly as it comes to its finished arcing position mating with the tang to create lockup. If we move that lockbar a touch backwards, there is a greater chance of lock slip.
    The lockbar has tension (the proper amount) in order to “swing” the lockbar into full lockup position. If by chance, the lockbars tension is reduced, that can cause failure as their isnt enough “spring” or force to fully engage the lockup.

So if the lockbar was backed off the fully locked position, and the tension on the lockbar was reduced too much, there would be a good chance of failure with not much force.

It is a framelock, and they will fail. All of them. Depending on force used.

This was just me trying to explain some of the reasons for failure. Not looking to have any arguements.

Thanks for your time, brother.

Ajack60, Clem Fandango and Dcdavis like this.
  7. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Take personal issues to Whine & Cheese, don't do it here; discuss knives not people.

BD_01, Clem Fandango and insta9ves like this.