Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by HikingIsLife, Mar 16, 2020.

1. bmilleker

bmilleker Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I have three 31's now. A large black micarta, large natural micarta, both birthed the same day (March-ish), and a large PJ that was birthed in June.

They all have varying degrees of flex. Which doesn't bother me, anymore. The natural is the easiest to flex, but has the best action of the three. The black has a small amount of flex, and a more stiff action. The PJ has almost zero, and has stiffer action, but is still new and breaking in.

They have been disassembled multiple times each. I have had no issues with side to side play. Or screws backing out with use. They are more finicky to assemble right, which I dislike. I have three 21's, and they assemble the same every time. The 31 should be the same.

Alsharif and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  2. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Delete

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  3. HulkHogan55

HulkHogan55

Aug 8, 2020
    this is quite a thread to stumble into shortly after joining

P2P likes this.
  4. HulkHogan55

HulkHogan55

Aug 8, 2020
    Curious to hear what the latest is with your 31.

5. Srtr

Srtr

Feb 9, 2016
    is pivot screws backing out common on the 31s? happens easily on my 31 but never on my 21s.

6. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2020
    For what it’s worth none of the screws back out on mine.

7. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    IMO it's not worth very much.

Reading this thread it really looks like CRK needs to take a step back.

marrenmiller and insta9ves like this.
  8. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Nice

353 likes this.
  9. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
  10. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    I’ve been considering the 31 but the flexing lock bar has me spooked... but relative to Shirogorov.... I bought a Neon Zero a year ago. It also had flex. Long story short, I made several attempts to bend the lock bar (they said it would be easy) and through what can only be Devine Intervention while sweating bullets thinking that I just trashed a new $700 knife did I end up with a perfectly functioning knife that was not perfect when I started. A year later it remains my daily carry and locks as solid as any pre-31 CRK.

I’ll never take that risk again bending a lock bar on a pricey new knife.

jux t likes this.
  11. HulkHogan55

HulkHogan55

Aug 8, 2020
    Why not?

12. HulkHogan55

HulkHogan55

Aug 8, 2020
  13. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    still sitting at my friends store waiting to go out. He’s waiting on something so he can ship a bunch of stuff at once. :/ Gotta love Canada to USA shipping. I have plenty of 21’s, so Im not in a hurry.
    Sorry folks.

14. bmilleker

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't know if people missed this in my previous post, but my latest 31 had negligible flex, and now after a couple weeks of use, it has zero. I also noticed that the lockbar itself is machined differently in comparison to my two older 31's. There is less cut off the lockbar face, which makes the ceramic ball sit lower in the lockbar itself. Imagine the ceramic ball not moving from where it has always been placed, but now there is more material around it. I'll try and get some photos of this. I am not saying this fixed the flex, but after pondering and looking to see why this newer 31 has no flex, and my previous two do, it's all I could really see for a difference.

Anyone else have a newer 31 without lockflex?

15. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Definitely have flex with my small 31, dated July 2020.

I'd be very interested to see photos comparing the differences you're seeing between your older and newer 31. If you could, please include the date of the knives as well. I'm starting to wonder if CRK is making adjustments as they put out more 31s.

Alsharif, BD_01 and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  16. bmilleker

Nov 26, 2012
    You just debunked my theory. My latest, the PJ large 31 is from July 2020 as well.

I will get some photos up when I have some free time.

rileybassman1 likes this.
  17. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’m also really interested in photos.
    ....and if there is a rolling change maybe it hasn’t reached the smalls yet.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  18. V-1

V-1

Apr 14, 1999
    If CRK have made changes to the design/manufacturing of the 31, I would hope they would announce it. It might bring some of the people back who walked away from the 31 design.

19. rileybassman1

rileybassman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I would buy one again for sure if they made changes and there were reports that it was improved for sure...

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  20. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Do you guys think that this is happening because Chris himself isnt there anymore to oversee the design/making of the 31 ?

jux t likes this.