1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

second anvil sample - not as bad as I feared

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Atlas Knife Company, Dec 20, 2018.

1. MBB

MBB Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Any chance there's a surface layer of decarb that didn't fully get ground off?

2. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    I really like the shape of that! What's the weight? Are you thinking of offering light and heavy versions?

allenkey and Justin Schmidt like this.
  3. synthesist

synthesist So many knives so little time

Sep 14, 2004
    That LITERALLY cracked me up...................... USPS, Fedex and UPS all do something similar with us. Given the possibility of an itinerant porch pirate swooping in they all have specific instructions on what to leave and where to leave it.

Corey "synthesist" Gimbel

Justin Schmidt and SBuzek like this.
  4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Anvil arrived nicely packed in a flat rate box with straps around it. No sign of any damage or contents movement. UPS guy just carried it to the back door and said he knew it was for me. Haven't opened it up yet, but it is pretty heavy to carry one handed.

I will open it tomorrow morning when Steve is there. Nothing like an anvil under the tree to make a fellow smith jealous.

DevinT and Justin Schmidt like this.
  5. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Well when your done stacy just send her this way and I'll test it out so you get an expierenced smith and rookie smith perspective. :D;)

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Steve will probably give it the rookie workout. He swings a mean hammer ... as most new guys do. Us old guys pace ourselves.

I'll make a simple but sturdy stand and make a set of instructions that Charles can send with the anvils once things get going.
    Steve and I are hoping for a couple forging days in January, so it should get smacked a lot.

I may not wait that long, and will likely go out and do my Christmas tradition of forging myself a knife on Christmas day. I have a bar of Hitachi white #1 sitting on the forge cart waiting for me. Tanto is my favorite shape, so we'll see what forms when I start hammering.

WValtakis, Tin.Man and Justin Schmidt like this.
  7. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    Really looking forward to your review. If he can get the hardness nailed that's gonna be a perfect design

8. danhowl

danhowl

Aug 22, 2017
    what do you think the price point will be?

Justin Schmidt and DanF like this.
  9. Will52100

Will52100

Dec 4, 2001
    Very nice blade smith anvil, really like the shape. What's the weight? Shame about the heat treat, looks to me like it's in a very close to annealed state from the hammer marks. I did some experiments a while back on building a hornless anvil. I basically welded up a 1/2" 4140 top to a 3" thick mild steel block, left about 3/8" gap and filled with weld. Welded up fine, but the issue was heat treating. Even with a super quench I never got the face harder than about 50 RC, not long after I located a hornless Refflinghaus so abandoned the idea. If you do heat treat it, you will likely need several drums of water to dump over it waterfall fashion. A lot depends on size and weight.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  10. Brian Stucker

Brian Stucker Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2016
    What is the weight on this anvil?

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  11. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Feb 16, 2010
    The anvil weighs in at 65 lbs. price will be around $300 shipped, as to compete with other anvils of similar weight. I'll probably look at a bigger 135 lbs. version as well. Above that, shipping gets expensive.

12. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Yep, it weighs exactly 65 pounds on the scale. A solid wood base will probably weigh around 65-75 pounds. This will give the anvil and base a mass of around 130-140 pounds. Since all the mass is under the face, it should work well. I didn't get out in the forge yesterday. but set aside some 2X12 to make a base Saturday and test it out.

It seems much heavier when you try to lift or move it because it is so compact. I would swear I can move my 125# anvil easier. I have had three strong guys pick it up and every one said, "Jesus, what is it made out of?".

Will52100 likes this.
  13. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    Face dimensions?

14. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Feb 16, 2010
    4x6 with extra 2" radius around the hardie hole

Justin Schmidt and DanF like this.
  15. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    Man I'm excited for this

16. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    I would call the face 4X8, with the hardie making for a 4X6 work area.

This is a simple and effective size and shape.
    No horns …. because we don't make horseshoes.
    No bending cleats on the side … because we don't make curls and such.
    No overhangs … because we don't bend blades at 90°.
    No pritchel hole … because we don't punch holes in knives.
    A hardie placed with lots of mass under it for doing any of those tasks with a hardie tool. You can make as many hardie tools as you can dream up uses.

One problem is because it doesn't have places to grip, it is a bit difficult to pick up. You have to tilt it and slide your fingers underneath, then lift. I have come up with a way of moving it about that works very well. I'll take photos this weekend.

17. Will52100

Will52100

Dec 4, 2001
    Personally, I'd prefer just a bit bigger, say about a 6"x8" face, or maybe a 6"x10" with or without the hardy hole. But that's just a personal ideal for me, the 4"x8" would work just great as is. If I didn't already have a couple good anvils, including a hornless then I'd be chomping at the bit to get me one of these. Love the design, it's just about perfect for bladesmithing, and I for one and glad someone finally is bringing one to market.

18. danhowl

danhowl

Aug 22, 2017
    Do you have an anticipated timeline for delivery of final design?

Atlas Knife Company likes this.
  19. Atlas Knife Company

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes, these should be ready for Christmas 2018. bahahaha, that didn't happen. 30 days to get the next order started, 45 days at the foundry, 45 shipping, 4 months minimum. at this point, it depends on stacy's review, otherwise I start over with a new foundry.

20. gruntinhusaybah

gruntinhusaybah KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2006
    I’m keeping an eye on this! I had made up my mind on a TFS double horn or Nimba Titan, but if these come about in time I could save some more money, have a good anvil AND support supporters!

Atlas Knife Company likes this.