1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Second AR-15.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by trailbum, Jan 2, 2012.

1. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    For $1000? Buy a Colt LE6920 from Grant a G&R Tactical.

2. SGTCap

SGTCap

Oct 21, 2007
    I'll second that. Probably the best deal on the market for all around useful AR's. Great deal if your new to 3-Gun as well.

BTW I wouldn't own an AR with a carbine length gas system unless it was a SBR. Even then they generally blow (I have a 10.5" AR, I hate it). Go mid length at least, if you decide on an 18" gun go for rifle length if possible.

3. mr.trooper

mr.trooper

Dec 5, 2005
    I really don't think it matters what brand.

The alphabet soup the zealots use in reference to the lower parts and bolt are essentially just extra (expensive) quality control testing done to them at the factory. The chances of these parts having any sort of defect is very low and, even if you are the unlucky sort, it would most likely manifest itself within a few hundred rounds.

So why pay $300+ extra for an equivalent AR with a different name stamped on it? Even if you purchased a spare bolt and LPK (that you will likely never need) alongside one of the bargain brands, it would still cost less than the other rifle alone, and then you would be ahead on parts AND money.

I would go for a CMMG bargain bin rifle, a DelTon kit, or a DPMS if it were me.

4. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    I recently put 600 rounds (a mix of brass and steel case) through a stock Stag carbine with zero issues.

If I were to buy an AR right now, I'd likely pick up a 20" version from Stag as I prefer the longer sight radius.

5. SGTCap

SGTCap

Oct 21, 2007
    Gratuitous pics of my competition rifle for inspirational purposes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. trailbum

trailbum Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I remember there were quite a few years when colt sold very few
    civilian guns( Clinton Years ) and then raped you on price.
    I'm still a little sour on this fact.
    They will never get any of my money at any price.
    Thanks for all the imput.

7. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    COLT! ;)
    A friend had an Olympic Arms AR15 that never did work right, even when he swapped out parts from known good guns to try and isolate the problem.
    I'll never buy one. :thumbdn:
    -Bruce

8. SGTCap

SGTCap

Oct 21, 2007
    Palmetto State Armory probably has the best deals going right now if you don't mind buying an upper and assembling a lower. After that I would look at Spikes or BCM (Bravo Company). Building will save you a bit ouf money since assembled firearms receive a 13% excise tax. There's nothing to assembling as AR, especially if you buy the upper preassembled. Honestly if I already had one AR I would look at spending my money on it. Having one well set up rifle is a lot more useful than two incomplete projects. I say this not knowing the state of your current rifle, however.

9. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    I should have explained the .22LR conversion. It’s actually a dedicated set-up. I found a new/old 1/12” twist A1 barrel and had it cut down to 16” and the gas-tube is closed off to keep crap out of the chamber. The 1/12” twist is excellent for the 40gr CCI bullets that I put through it. It’s my “first-timers” gun for kids that want to shoot an “M16” :D

As mentioned, it’s a regular Ciener .22LR conversion (I would go with CMMG now) on a dedicated upper.

The 9mm is an Olympic Arms upper and bolt that takes 9mm Sten mags. I went with this particular set up as a stumbled into a few dozen new Sten mags a long time ago.

ROCK6

10. tknife

tknife

Mar 18, 1999
    Damn, I want to party with Rock6! I've only shot an AR a couple times, but you have quite the collection sir! :thumbup:

11. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    Ha! Yeah, we have a good time at the range...I'm actually sitting over here in Afghanistan working with Dillon precision to set me up with a new 550b reloader. My son is the ammo-eater! I need to get him to help reload his own habit :D

ROCK6

12. gatorzingo

gatorzingo

Jul 9, 2006
    I have a Spikes Tactical M4 built with a RR upper. I bought it in 2005, if that matters. Great shooting rifle. No problems.

13. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    that's a nice setup! before i joined this forum i was heavy into ar-15s and i reloaded with a single station press to relax...it's like staring at the camp fire - i can just zone out and do it for hours at a time.