1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Second "First Knife"

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by CWknife, Mar 18, 2017.

1. CWknife

CWknife

Dec 27, 2015
    Hey guys I am posting some pictures of my first knife build. I made this hunting knife from 1095 and some micarta. It is my first time grinding bevels and the whole nine yards. I sure made plenty of mistakes, got heavy on the belt sander in an area, the scales were thin to start with so the finish turned out uneven, I also have the bevel a little uneven. The jimping was put it after it was hardened with a dremel and of course it skipped a little. I haved learned a lot from you guys to help me make this happen. So thanks for the tips, keep em coming. I think I am going to make a couple smaller knifes just to get more practice out of a piece of steel.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. DavidHoback

DavidHoback If you see me posting, remind me to STFU & leave.

Dec 10, 2014
    Great job CW! That is a fine looking first knife. Keep it up. Your skill increases with each one.

3. 51 Bravo

51 Bravo

Feb 4, 2017
    Nice! I'm on my third knife now so I know how hard it is to get a full grind that nice! Do you have a belt grinder? So far I'm using a file jig.

4. CWknife

CWknife

Dec 27, 2015
    I used a file jig, it just took a lot longer. It actually was meant to be a scandi type grind but I screwed it up and switched gears to full.

5. Budkeywest

Budkeywest

Feb 1, 2017