1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

seeking advice on a khukuri

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Red Flower, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    30" Kobra. Oh, wait.... :rolleyes:

Somehow I missed this thread the first time it came up. Kudos to Bill for making this happen, even as he was battling health problems.

Welcome Red Flower. I believe we met at the Khonvention in Reno, 2003. I hope you enjoy your BDC. I think it's a good choice for frequent use, and quite beautiful. Although I think you could've gotten any model that was built for use by a Nepali and had a khuk that was well-matched to your body size.

On the immigration issue....is there any way we can help? Having met Red Flower and Howard, I feel comfortable writing my Senators and Representatives about this issue. If others in the Cantina were so inclined, maybe having it on the radar of a half-dozen or more people might expedite matters. I think the best way to do this would be to write a personal letter, attach any specifics that Howard could provide (I have no idea what kind of info a Senator would need to easily intervene in an immigration case), and attach a list of all of the Senators/Representatives contacted about the issue.

Howard - if you think this is a good idea, feel free to email me specifics of Red Flower's immigration application. I'm not sure how much of this you want to put on a publically available forum.

2. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    That's a kind offer. We seem to be 80% or so through the process, with no glitches. The delays are not caused by any irregularities, but rather by the innefficiencies in the unaccountable beaurocracy of the Department of Homeland Security. It takes many months for each step of the process. Each step takes forms. On their website they have a list of all their forms, along with the time in months it will sit on their desks after filing and before they look at it to begin doing anything with it.

Right now we're just waiting for the final interview with the US consulate in Guangzhou, China. If that goes ok she will be free to return to our family.

For now, we will pass on your kind offer. If other problems arise and we can't get her back in the next few months we may take you up on it though.

3. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    Absolutely stunning!!!

4. 45-70

45-70

Jul 10, 2003
    It's the other way around here, My rep either sends form letters or else nothing at all (last three letters I've sent). The senators office sends real letters, perhaps form letters at times, but at least they directly answer my questions or, perhaps more honestly, address my concerns.

Good luck to you Howard and Red Flower, I know you will love that BDC, I think I need another one too.

5. Josh Muller

Josh Muller

Jun 22, 2003
    im 5' 10", but i weigh 135lbs - and my favorite is the 20" sirupati... it seems best for me... i cant swing it all day, but it does any wood work i want, and it can do smaller stuff without wearing me out immediately. it cant chop as well as my 18" ang khola, but the speed and ease make up for it, and its a minor difference to begin with

Yvsa likes this.
  6. Red Flower

Red Flower

Oct 13, 2004
    I finally own my khukuri, a designed based on the recommendations in this forum. Although I can only see my khukuri in the picture, I do like it very much, the color, the size and shape... My dream came true.

Thank you all your good advise on my khukuri, especially thank Kami Sherpa, Yangdu.

Special appreciations to Uncle Bill.

I will use the khukuri safely. Rusty, please trust me. Thank you for your advise too. Prayers sent, hope you have a good journey...

Do I watch the forum closely enought, Howard? Thank you for what you did for me.

Thank you for the offer. As what Howard said "For now, we will pass on your kind offer. If other problems arise and we can't get her back in the next few months we may take you up on it though." Hope Howard and I can see you sometime soon.

7. Howard Wallace

Feb 23, 1999
    30 hours 4 minutes

:rolleyes:

;)

EricTheRedBeard likes this.
  8. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    You know, Rusty's answer was almost exactly what I would have said.

I'm happy for you, Howard. I guess I'm just sad at

damn, I don't know why Rusty's going is hitting me so hard.

9. Howard Wallace

Feb 23, 1999
    Proof tested the khukuri today.

Hard chops into apple wood. Then hard smacks into the apple wood with the spine and flats. No problems. No edge deformation. This is something I always do before trusting a knife. Red Flower's knife is sturdy as well as beautiful.

Then I cleaned it up, wiped it down with Marine Tuff-Cloth, and finally gave it, the karda, chakma, and sheath a coat of Ren Wax. Polished. Now it waits for her.

10. EricTheRedBeard

EricTheRedBeard Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2018
    What a special knife and a memorable post as well.