Seinfeld?

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by PhilL, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mjdiedrich

mjdiedrich

Mar 9, 2006
    Seinfeld is on an independent station here in the Milwaukee area. It might also be on cable, but I don't have it (100 channels and nothing on). IMHO it was and still is one of the funniest TV shows ever made. It shattered the mold of sitcoms. Old fashioned sitcoms will no longer sell.

2. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Great show...

Man hands, low talker, high talker, close talker :D

Only a show like Seinfeld would have an episode where Newman owns "Son-of-Sam's" mailbag, and lets Kramer bet it against a Texan at the airport.

I was just reading a story how the "Soup Kitchen" chain (I think that was the name), which was well known in NYC, is trying to open some stores in the Boston area. Would they be so popular if Seinfeld had not parodied them with the Soup Nazi?

On daily on Fox and TBS here as well, at 7 and 11.

"top of the muffin to ya"

Glenn

3. C. STORR

C. STORR

Feb 6, 2006
    Larry David also plays Steinbrenner on the show, although you just see the back of his head. One of my favorite shows is the one where Frank tries to revive Festivus. "A FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US!"

4. rebeltf

rebeltf

Jan 29, 2005
    Seinfeld is my favorite show on 'regular' TV , it's also the only show I watch nightly while I make dinner , it makes me laugh no matter how many times I have seen it.
    I dont see Seinfeld as a "New York thing" at all.
    My best friend owns the DVD seasons but they arent as fun to watch as the show when its on TV.
    It is on 3 times a night where I live.

5. tgw914

tgw914

Aug 4, 2005
    It's on 5 nights a week at 9:00pm on the little Fox station from La Crosse. In my opinon, one of the greatest TV shows ever.

6. Dogsmeadow

Dogsmeadow

Mar 3, 2006
    Southern WI. 4 times per day. It's the only show I watch...own the DVDs. Saw him last year live and laughed so hard I cried. Check out Larry David's show, too. WE rent the DVDs. Many similarities and very funny.
    Jim

7. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    I give more credit to Jerry's acting than appears. Part of his ability was to NOT let himself take center stage and let the other characters really stand out. He's a caricature, but not quite as much as the rest of the main characters. If he let his ego force him to be the MAIN MAN all the time, the show would have had a whole different feel.

I think there is more to his acting ability than meets the eye.

Coop

8. I don't think Jerry really is a great actor, but the show couldn't have existed without his particular genius. Never mind that the show was named after him. He was the semi-straight man to everyone else's madness, although he did some really stupid stuff himself, too. He was like the comic gravitational force in the show and basically all the craziness revolved around his eccentric perception of reality.

9. Thomason

Thomason

Nov 28, 2002
    Where I am I can see 1 1/2 hours of Seinfeld in a two hour period. I always though the episode where they all went to India for a wedding was particularly clever how it was done in reverse order. Do you suppose their contracts were the kind where they are paid each time a show is aired? That could be big bucks.

10. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    It's even on in India...one of the only shows I could stand to watch (I guess Bollywood movies are an acquired taste) while I was there on business earlier this year...

11. cockroachfarm

cockroachfarm

Jan 6, 2001
    Personally, I think there's less. :D But my eyes are getting worse every year. ;) It's not a matter of Jerry taking "center stage" at all - he's just not a very good actor. I've worked with, and directed, plenty of actors and announcers and when Jerry delivers his lines, he's "acting" the character. When the others are delivering their lines, they are "being" the character. I was never a big fan of JLD when she was on Saturday Night Live, but on "Seinfeld" I thought she was utterly brilliant. Her whining alone, underscored by brilliant body langauge, is deserving of an award!

12. shaldag

shaldag

Jun 17, 2004
    This got big press in the media. The four main characters were paid by episode--
    if I recall, high 6-low 7 figures.

13. stjames

stjames Sebenzanista

Oct 26, 1998
    We get it on TBS and syndicated to a local channel as well.

My favorite moments are when Kramer describes taking a womans pinkie toe to the hospital on a hijacked bus in a cracker jack box, fighting with the highjacker and having to pull over to let people off. Jerry asks "You kept making the stops?" to which Kramer answers "People kept ringing the bell". Classic.

14. PhilL

PhilL

Oct 1, 1999
    George, "You're Batman!"

I used to live on the Upeer West Side, up where Jerry was supposed to live. I think on the show he was supposed to live on 81st Street, I used to live on W. 78th Street. The coffee shop that they usually go to, "Monk's" is actually on 96th I think, but not called Monk's. Kind of a long walk for coffee if you ask me.
    There's also a bar that they show the exterior of a lot, "J&G's", I've been in there many times. It's on Amsterdam Ave and 74th, I think.

They don't really show the characters on real NYC streets that often. One time they did was when Kramer has to find a men's room because he's perculating. You see him in Central Park and trying to get into a restaurant.

15. Cindy Denning

Cindy Denning

Apr 9, 2004
    [​IMG] The black and white cookie! My brother looks like Jerry, on a business trip to Australia, waiting to board the jet home, he was mistaken for the real one and said he was not Jerry Seinfeld....he ended up signing autographs.

16. JohnG

JohnG Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 6, 1998
    The Soup Nazi episode was on tonight, and it's still funny. I'd rank it as one of the best half hours of TV ever.

In addition to Larry David doing Steinbrenner(it was disappointing to hear the real Steinbrenner's voice after all the shows) he was indeed the candy store guy who gives George back his doodled on $20; Frank Costanza's caped lawyer(the best part is when Elaine's friend is about to jump off the bridge and he creeps up in the cape to keep her from jumping) and I hear his voice saying Hey, Cosmo! in the episode when they find out Kramer's first name and Kramer is walking down the street with Babs, his mother. I'm sure there is more.

17. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    I must be the only person in the world that didn't care a whole lot for the show. Yeah, I watched it once in awhile... but it never tripped my trigger. Although, if y'all could see my dog Hank, you would agree that he is the canine embodiment of Kramer.

18. Ilovetoolsteel

Ilovetoolsteel

Jul 28, 2003
    Do you remember the exchange between Newman and the texan?

Newman explains how he got the bag when he took over Berkowitz's route when he was arrested.

The texan asks him:
    "Any dogs on that route talk to you?"
    Newman answers:
    "Just to tell me to lay off the snacks!"

The Keith Hernandez magic loogie episode is my favorite.

19. fruitbat

fruitbat

Dec 17, 2003
    It comes on during the week at 7:00pm. If I miss that one I can catch it at 11:00pm. I usually watch one or the other. I've seen every episode many times.:thumbup: