Self-Defense Knife Suggestions

Discussion in 'Blade Discussion Forum Archive' started by tc1, Dec 23, 1999.

1. tc1

tc1

Dec 23, 1999
    Hello! First off, great forum! I'm new here and recently found out that it is illegal to carry my balisong knife around with me. So, I'm looking for a knife to replace my balisong. I need suggestions for a practical self-defense knife thats balanced and easy to work with. I've used fixed blades and my balisongs for martial arts purposes before but would like the convenience of a folder.

Thanks!
    tc1

2. Arizona

Arizona

Jul 21, 1999
    BM Stryker
    Emerson Commander
    Emerson CQC6, CQC7
    Geez, this list would get really long.
    Seeing that this is your first post, let me be the first to welcome you to this great place [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it.

------------------
    The impossible I can do right away, miracles take a little longer.

3. Disco Stu

Disco Stu

Nov 9, 1999
    Spyderco Civilian or Matriarch.

4. Axel Yup

Axel Yup

Nov 8, 1998
    I recommend the REKAT Carnivour.

Axel

5. Q-ball

Q-ball

Dec 10, 1999
    I would recommend any Emerson (production, and custom) Mainly the Raven, or Commander. Or any "tactical" Benchmade.

------------------
    Matt
    If you are not living on the edge, then you are taking up to much room!
    AKTI member# A000233
    NKCA member# 33662

6. Smoke

Smoke Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 1998
    Hi Teq, is that you?

7. Squid

Squid

Jun 21, 1999
    Of the knives that I have

Commander
    AFCK
    Vaquero Grande

Of the knife that I had:

KFF

Of the knife I will soon have:

SIFU

Of the knives I'm thinking about getting:

Carnivour
    Crawford Wortac
    Axis

An important question you need to ask yourself is: How much are you willing to spend?

8. Damon

Damon

Feb 9, 1999
    Depending on cost:

Cheap: CRKT M16
    Moderate: Benchmade AFCK
    Expensive: Crawford KFF

JMHO,
    Damon

9. Jiantbrane2

Jiantbrane2

Mar 9, 1999
    Well, if you ONLY want it for defense, I'm gonna have to say either a REKAT Sifu, REKAT Pocket Hobbit, REKAT Crnivour, or an XL Voyager. These are all very heavy knives, by the way, and I'm not sure about the laws in Fl. Both of these factors should be taken into consideration. If it is really ONLY for defense, you should stick with a fixed blade. There was an article in Tactical Knives about "The Flex Knife", but I forgot who made it. This is a fixed blade knife which flexes slightly, so it can be worn lengthwise along the belt. We also have quite a few regulars here who do custom work. Please take them into consideration as well.

Howie

10. Lynn Grififth Knives

Lynn Grififth Knives

Jul 30, 1999
    TC1,
    Check out the knives in my "Back Up Series". Blades are just under 4" so they are legal in many areas, even if concealed. Flat ground also, for maximum strength.

------------------
    Lynn Griffith-Knifemaker

griffithknives.com
    [email protected]
    Available Knives

11. Jim March

Jim March KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 7, 1998
    What's your legal climate?

In New York, where you can pack any knife concealed so long as it's 3.9" or smaller, a Dozier New York Special small double-edge fixed-blade makes the most sense.

In the states where a 3.9" folder with the clip exposed is kosher, I'd say the REKAT Carnivor is tough to beat. The BM Axis locks with a 3.9" would be another good choice but I'm wary of BenchMade QC of late.

In California where you can legally conceal folders of any length, the Sifu is the current king of the hill. If you can't afford one, the Cold Steel Vaquero Grande will get you through the night, or the 5" class CS folders if you want to go a tad less gonzo.

Texas has a 5.5" length limit on all blade types; the Sifu was designed with a 5.45" blade to slip under the TX radar, BARELY.

Finally, if you're in a state where a CCW "gun permit" allows unlimited cutlery carry (such as Arizona), the Ontario Bagwells such as the Gambler or Hell's Belle are some DAMN fine large, properly balanced fighting Bowies. Ernie Mayer of Black Cloud Knives does handmade large fighters with proper balance too.

It's all about "what you can get away with", and what you're willing to pack. In the 31 states with shall-issue CCW (carry concealed weapons) permits I'd highly recommend scoring the permit even if you're not primarily into guns and the CCW permit for your state doesn't explicitly cover knife carry. In most cases, a valid CCW will tell cops you're "one of the good guys" and make him very reluctant to do a knife carry bust if you're technically over the size or type limits. You milage (and COP) may vary of course. Don't take my word for any of this, look up the actual penal codes for YOUR state.

Jim March

12. Ivan

Ivan

Apr 21, 1999
    1. CS Vaquero Grande: awesome slashing blade 2. Rekat Carnivour or DA Socom(Socom very expensive at $300.00 but it is a Microtech)

13. SycoticSamurai

SycoticSamurai

Jun 29, 1999
    AFCK, or Sebenza if you want to spend the dollars.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

Joe

14. tc1

tc1

Dec 23, 1999
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I went to my local knife dealer and tried out a couple of the aforementioned knives, specifically the AFCK, SOCOM, a couple of BM tacticals, and Emersons. After handling several of the knives, I found that I preferred the "mini" versions of the AFCK, Stryker, and SOCOM. They felt better in my small hands. I *REALLY* liked the Mini MT SOCOM. It had a nice weight to it and just looked "cool". Unfortunately, it was one of the more expensive knives. [​IMG]

While I was there, I also found out that its legal to buy an automatic knife in Florida. I looked at several of the major brand models and felt that they were REAL nice but outta my budget. I'll stick with a nice folder.

I also found out that I need to have a concealed weapons liscense to carry a knife as a self-defense weapon. BUT it is ok to carry a knife for "utility" purposes. So, it looks like I'm gonna get a "utility" knife now. [​IMG]

BTW, the dealer said he would try to match most of the internet prices. So, can someone list some reliable online dealers that usually have their knives in stock?

Again, thank you guys for all your help! [​IMG]

P.S. These smiley things kick ass!

15. CUTIGER 3

CUTIGER 3

Mar 31, 1999
    Don't think anyone has mentioned the Military yet.

IMHO when it comes to self defense there is no budget [​IMG].

16. Dave P

Dave P

Nov 21, 1999
    tc: You say that butterfly blades are illegal, and "I need to have a concealed weapons liscense to carry a knife as a self-defense weapon. BUT it is ok to carry a knife for "utility" purposes"

I'm no lawyer, but I can't find any mention of a butterfly being trouble. And the reason for carring a blade doesn't matter, just if it is concealed or not. And try to get a concealed permit, because in Florida it is truly a weapons permit, not just firearms.

Checkout the statues: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/citizen/documents/statutes/1998/ch0790/ch0790.htm

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dave P (edited 24 December 1999).]

17. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    Well, maybe too big for your preferences but I really like my plain edged Military, and I really trust that knife for self defense, I also like my spyderco Moran for that purpose.
    Check out the reviews by Fred Perrin, the native should be a good cheaper alternative:
    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/2292/reviews.htm

The Socom is a folder I like for defensive use as well, I can present it very fast and the ergonomics are pefect for my hands, the Mini Socom (both clip point) is also one of my favorites. The Sebenza is my daily utility knife, so it isn't always as sharp as a defensive folder should be, but it's a nice backup. If you want to sped the money, the Sebenza is a folder you won't regret. Besides, although it is not designed as a tactical folder, it is well built which makes it perfectly useful for defense.

[This message has been edited by Mr Blonde (edited 24 December 1999).]

18. shootist16

shootist16 knife law moderator Moderator

Dec 25, 1998
    Let me cast my vote for the REKAt Carnivore. It is a great defensive folder. In my opinion one of the best. It is ergonomic as all get out. The grip is very secure. It also works great in reverse grip. And the rolling lock is super strong. Here is a link to an excellent review of the Carnivore:
    http://bbs.ipass.net/~stringb/Carnivour.html

Complete with pictures. The reviewer compares the carnivore directly with an AFCK and an Endura. I don't believe you will be disappointed. If you want something smaller, REKAT is going to release a Carnivore cub in Y2K.

I absolutely fell in love with my Carnivore. I have tried to carry other knives for defense, but keep coming back to my Carnie.

------------------
    Dennis Bible

19. Mochiman1

Mochiman1

Aug 23, 1999
    a point worth emphasizing, I think, is that Spyderco's Civilian and Matriarch are "slash and run" style knives. I think that makes them particularly useful for people who aren't skilled martial artists. They're not designed for thrusting. Instead, they're meant to inflict considerable superficial damage so you can get the heck out of that situation pronto. That sounds better to me than trying to pierce a vital organ, with the attendant legal complications should your opponent die. Plus, a good martial artist will have spent quite a bit of time mastering how to protect those vitals against a knife.
    My understanding is the Civilian, the Matriarch's momma, was designed for the DEA in response to a request for a backup weapon for field agents. The Matriarch is what I carry when in uncomfortable settings.

20. ProEdge

ProEdge

Jan 12, 1999
    Crawford KFF
    Lightfoot 460 Mag
    REKAT Carnivour

------------------
    "More SWEAT in the Gym - Less BLOOD in the Ring"