Shirogorov help

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jason Huiting, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Jason Huiting

Jason Huiting Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2019
    Hello, I recently acquired my first shiro (a neon ul) and love it. I have decided to buy another shiro, but I want something larger. Spending $1000 on a knife is a lot for me. I would greatly appreciated some advice. The 3 I am looking at are the Hati R, F3 NS, and the Quantum. I am only going off pictures and YouTube videos. I have not saw any of these in person. Are there any of these 3 that is better or worse than the others. The Quantum is $300 more than the others. Any information and/or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Jason

2. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    JAB, Jason Huiting and marchone like this.
  3. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    You really can’t make a bad choice with any of those. One thing to consider is that the F3 is a linerlock and is considerably chunkier than the other models (even more so when compared to your NeOn.) I recently received a G10 version and absolutely love the hand filling feel of it and the fact that the opening action isn’t at all affected by my grip which isn’t always the case with the framelocks - my F95NL is very sensitive to lockbar pressure while my NeOn and HatiOn Lites are somewhat less so but it’s still something I need to constantly be aware of.

4. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    ^^^ I fully agree. There is no difference in performance. Quality becomes subjective when viewing finishes.

Choosing which model will depend on your uses. User or closet queen? For a full sized knife an original F3 in Elmax is a solid workhorse. Model upgrades since have increased in prices. But will you gain a performance advantage for your intended uses? Only you can answer that.

For reference I own both a NeOn HatiOn Lite and an original F3. For my typical uses I rarely use a knife outside, and will usually grab a fixed blade at home before reaching for the F3. Just a thought.

CPP, Jason Huiting and Ajack60 like this.
  5. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    coffeereg.jpg
    If you are looking for something on the larger size the 111 is often for sale used here and on the different web sites. (still available new also)
    Great knife! I carry mine the most of all of them. The 95 models are often on the sales pages and are great knives also.
    3bearslanyards.jpg

6. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    If it was me I would make every effort to see and handle the knives in person instead of picking from a youtube video.

Even if it means waiting half a year & traveling to a bricks and mortar store or a show when they start again.

Jason Huiting likes this.
  7. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I have a 111, Hati-R, F3, and a Neon Retro. If your looking for a 4"+ blade grab a 111, they're big, flip like a knife should, and I'm in love with mine.
    If you're only interested in the models you listed, I'd grab the Hati-R. It's my second most carried blade.

8. CPP

CPP

Sep 8, 2014
    The F3 NS and the Hati R are the same size and profile the difference being that the F3 is a liner-lock and the Hati is a frame-lock with a carbon-fiber (or Alutex) presentation-side scale. The F3 is thicker overall and, as @JAB commented, fills the hand better. The Quantum is the same length as both the F3 and Hati but has a different blade shape and contoured titanium scales. All three have Multi-Row Bearing Systems (MRBS) so the action should be similar. Shirogorov is renowned for the high quality and consistency of the fit and finish of its knives so whichever you pick, you've picked a winner.

Jason Huiting and marchone like this.
  9. Sos24

Sos24 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Of those listed, I own a Haiti R and love it.

10. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Here's a comparison pic.
    Top one is the F95 Nudist, F95NL and 111

[​IMG]

11. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    And even though it’s not a carbon fiber NS this should still give you an idea of the F3’s girth compared to a NeOn (Lite).

B9A488E7-519B-4A29-A640-FEBD29A85E1C.jpeg

ETA: While I’ve got ‘em both out...

B118BC18-80AC-48B0-B5CC-CA639BBB4259.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  12. Jason Huiting

Jason Huiting Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2019
    The 111 reminds me of my zt 0452. Thanks for the information guys. I plan to decide by Thursday and call recon 1 or knife center.

Jason

13. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I was looking at the 95, Quantum and Hati R all weekend. I briefly considered a 111 because I wouldn’t worry about lock bar pressure but ultimately ordered a Hati R