Short sword for battling zombies

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by agoutihead, Dec 5, 2010.

1. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    After seeing the new addition, do you really think anyone is going to argue with you about a wrong date in a photo? :eek:

Great blade, looking forward to see and read how it performs on 'mere' timber and the like! :thumbup:

2. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    I'm going to hold off on the full review until I can put my leather tassel on the hilt and make a scabbard for it. I've gone over different scabbard ideas in my head and I've decided on a simple design with no snaps or the like. Once I have a good scabbard then I'll see just how sharp I can get it.

3. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Thanks for the info ... patiently waiting for it, sure it will be informative! :thumbup:

4. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    just the blade is 22 inches. The maker, a member here on BF, said the length could vary from around 20 inches to 25 or so, depending on how the Damascus steel worked when he hammered it out.
    The fittings are from the same Damascus steel as the blade, and have the same ladder pattern.
    By the summer, I should have a companion 10 or 11 inch knife, of the same steel, and made in the same pattern. Sheath for the Langsax is traditional wood, as will be the sheath for the knife.

5. MassMatt

MassMatt

Apr 2, 2006
    Well, sword-wise you can't get much more old school than ancient Egypt!

6. Storm Crow

Storm Crow

Apr 12, 2006
    This is one I did a while back for a Knife in the Hat exchange on another forum. The idea behind this one was that you were caught in a junkyard when the zombies attack. Your vehicle is outside the gate, and you only have enough water for a day. Using the resources available, you have to make a blade that will get you through the undead horde to your vehicle. I made the wakizashi and saya in a day's time using what would be available for me at my local junkyard, Ashley Salvage in San Antonio, Texas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More data here, including links to some videos of it:

http://helmforge.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

And a lengthy short story I ended up writing involving the hypothetical circumstances of the wakizashi's creation:

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69286

7. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    This King Cane sword made by Silver Stag was made for killing wild hogs. I think it would slay a few zombies too.

[​IMG]

8. MTHall720

MTHall720 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I really like the Japanese looking blade! What web sites do you think would have the best prices usually?

9. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    So far as I know Himalayan Imports pieces are only available through Himalayan Imports...

10. TheAznInvazn

TheAznInvazn

Jul 28, 2010
    The scrapizashi was totally impressive
    I might just have to get one when I get enough money

11. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Some teaser pics of an ongoing project. :D

[​IMG]

12. Hesparus

Hesparus

Oct 31, 2004
    ^ got my attention.

13. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    It'll be a while yet before this project bears fruit, but I think it'll be worth the wait. ;)

14. wrxguyusa

wrxguyusa

Sep 4, 2010
    What happened to pics? Too busy practicing for the zombie horde?

15. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    I still call dibs on one of those, by the way. :thumbup::D

16. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Whenever I get the darn things done you'll be the first to know! PM sent. :D

17. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    Was that the Gladius project alluded to by you several months back?
    Nice

18. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Yes. Not so much a true gladius, but patterned after a sword that was used in a similar manner. It's patterned after the Swiss baselard. I'm working on these, but it's a matter of time and money. They WILL happen though! :D

19. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    What is the thickness on that stock?

20. JTR357

JTR357 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007

That is one badass blade!:thumbup::eek: