Should everyone own a Delica at some point?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MSchott, Dec 28, 2017.

1. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Everyone should own a Delica 4 FFG. The latest full flat grind (FFG) models are very nice, 4 way pocket clip is handy, and the color choices make you want to buy more then one. I believe I have 3 or 4 now and have given several away as gifts.

For a sub 3" blade, the handles fit my big hand really well. One reason I prefer them over the Mini Grips. The BM MG doesn't sit in my hand as well.

I'm quite certain the NSA is compiling a list of people who don't own a Delica of some kind.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  2. mattmanyam

mattmanyam

Apr 28, 2010
    I love the Delica...

But (and I don't say this lightly!), Boomer52s "GrindMod" scales knocked it out of the park! To the point that I am not carrying it for fear of losing it, before I acquire a backup...

I've said it before... This is what the Para 3 should have been (in my mind).

lieferung likes this.
  3. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    image.jpg

I've used this delica super blue steel for a couple years at work. It's served me very well, still got a couple more years of blade left, maybe? Lol

jpm2, PWatkins, Grateful and 2 others like this.
  4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Delicas are very useful little knives, which is probably why they sell like hotcakes. I prefer something larger (Para 2) but Delicas are light, extremely tough and beautifully engineered.

5. Krav

Jun 6, 2013
    Orange delica was my first knife. I've gifted that to my father who now lives outside the states. His last visit I resharpened it for him, and it was very obvious it was used a lot, it wouldn't cut a wet turd. I'm sure since then, it needs to sharpened again.

Sharperthansticks likes this.
  6. Valyrian steel

Valyrian steel

Aug 31, 2017
    I prefer the Endura.

kreole likes this.
  7. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I bought my first Delica (AUS-8 steel, integral FRN pocket clip) 20 years and 1 month ago. Since then, I have more Delicas than any other Spyderco, or one-hand opening knives, period. I've never counted how many I own. IMO, the Delica 4 is the best version so far. I like FFG, SG, PE, CE, SE versions. It's enough for most EDC chores for me, without being too much or too little. AFAIK, it's also legal to carry in any county in CA without having to have it 100% concealed.

I also like the Native 5, but for me, the D4 is still more natural and intuitive in the hand than the N5. Also, if I were to lose or break one (which has never happened), it would be easy enough to replace without breaking the bank.

Jim

Grateful likes this.
  8. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    Yup! This is, to me anyways, the only way to Delica. First and only one I own is a D4 FFG ZDP with the Lil Para scales. Absolutely love it, I practically have to force myself to carry other knives because it's just too perfect for my everyday tasks.

9. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    What have you sharpened this on?
    A bench grinder?

10. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    The Delica and the Endura are two iconic knives.
    Plus, they are iconic knives that you can actually afford to try out. :)

Does everyone need to try one out?
    Nah, but if you want to try out various iconic knives to see what the fuss is about, the Delica or Endura in any of their iterations make for a great choice. :thumbsup:

Grateful likes this.
  11. joe90

joe90

Aug 17, 2001
    I've owned a number of spydie's including the Para2, Calypso Jr and delica. Only one I still have and would not part with now is the native. I made the mistake of exchanging one a long time ago but managed to get another one. (phew....) Love the shape and feel of it. Should you get a delica? Absolutely. Great little knife. Wasn't for me, and it may not be for you - but you can then gauge it properly and then sell it on if necessary. The cost is minimal for the experience. I didn't regret getting one at all - even though I don't have one anymore. Good luck :)

12. 19-3ben

19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    I'll concede defeat on that one. That knife is sexy as all hell.

Lapedog likes this.
  13. teddy1093

teddy1093 Gold Member Gold Member

May 12, 2017
    image.jpg I have a few Spydercos(para2,para3 sage etc)always thought the delica wasn’t for me. About a month ago my son gave me an early Xmas gift a delica with s30v and I think it’s a great knife. Great in shorts or just want something that won’t way you down. It’s handle doesn’t feel as cheap as I thought it would and it’s pretty grippy it’s a keeper

Lapedog likes this.
  14. Krav

Jun 6, 2013
    Lol wicked edge. I use this knife just about everyday at work. Some times I misplace my razor knife and I just need to finish a small drywall cut. my razor knife sometimes could end up anywhere, outside cutting the drywall, in a pile of drywall or just lost forever. I'm by no means a expert at sharpening knives, it can dull very quickly, I don't recommend this behavior. Some may say it's abusive, some may say it's what a knife is for. It was more or less convient for me, then I finish what I was doing, get some 5 min mud on the drywall and spend some time looking for that damn razor knife.

jpm2 and PWatkins like this.
  15. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    My first folder was an earlier version Delica, which I got on the advice of a friend who was knowledgeable about these things. I liked it enough to later upgrade to a saber ground Delica 4 that I used for the last 10 years, resisting the ffg version for that very reason ^^^. It kept a good edge and cut well enough that I was in no hurry to "upgrade." Lately, however, reassured by the experiences of those who use them, I decided to give one a try. Without question, the ffg is a better slicer, but not by an order of magnitude. However, I've only had it for a month, and that at a time of the year I wouldn't be using any knife outdoors all that much, so the jury is still out. Come Spring, it will get more of a workout, and we'll see then.

Lapedog likes this.
  16. rak2

rak2

Mar 17, 2016
    Not a knife expert, only owning a PM2, Para3, Endura, and Delica.
    But to me a Delica is all the knife I'll ever need.

Beauty of the FRN scales is that they can look cheap to others and downplay the appearance of quality - downplaying the seriousness and effectiveness of the knife. So, when you pull it out of the glove compartment for some utility task bystanders don't go running in horror. I like purple FRN for a stealth mode.

17. Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

Aug 9, 2011
    The Delica is one of the best edc blades I own. It's ergonomic handles, ambidextrous one hand open/closing, and slicing ability makes it one of the great blades to own.

However, I bought mine back when they were priced $50- $55. Now at almost $70 (and going up at the first of the year), I'd go with other options for around that price (the new Chapparral in XHP for example). I feel the value of the Delica is diminishing with the continuous price increases and other options out there.

willc likes this.
  18. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Same thing happened with most of the Condor stuff that I was so fond of just picking up on a whim and trying out or just handling a lot. I suspect after a breathing spell, you'll be okay with the 2018 prices. Benchmade raised their prices. Folks kicked a bit, but now there is no talk of that now. I used to feel that $70 was a lot of money for a knife. It had to be special for me to pay that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Mountain Mike likes this.
  19. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Having grown up with and carried traditional slipjoints for almost 60 yrs, I had recently come to the reality that my severely arthritic hands were having trouble accessing out of my pocket and opening my old standbys. Enter the Delica. Easy to open and carry/access. Good steel/ease of free hand sharpening. Great ergonomics. Very useful blade shape. Small enough for discrete public use. Ugly as hell.-It certainly has a useful place in my EDC. Plus I got a good deal on BF.--KV

jpm2 and lieferung like this.
  20. Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

Aug 9, 2011
    I get that, but at $68 for a Delica in VG 10 versus $80 for Chapparral in XHP, I'll pony up the extra $12. It's just my personal perceived value.