1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Silver Sharpies

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by cjweaver13, Jul 1, 2018.

1. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    Thought I'd pass this along. I accidently found silver Sharpies are a great layout tool. I used it to draw my outline on a piece of hardened steel. Cut the chunk off with my angle grinder and put it in the forge to anneal. Came back and even though the steel oxidized a little the sharpie outline was completely in tact and visible. I'm guessing it survived temperatures at least to 1600*. Noy sure what else you guys used. I've seen ervyrhint from layout paint, blue marker, chalk, spray paint over template etc... But I'll hunt for a few more silver Sharpies after seeing that. I'm happy for any other fun ideas too!

2. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    I use silver welding pencils a lot.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  3. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
    Never even payed attention to these in my shop. I'll have to grab some too

4. golfer1

golfer1

Nov 24, 2016
    I really like the silver welding pencils. What kind of sharpies did you use?

5. cjweaver13

cjweaver13

Jun 19, 2018
  6. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    The silver pencil is easier to see under a welding hood.

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I use the white metal markers. The titanium oxide colorant survives even stainless HT. I label the blades with metal type and any other info so I can ID them post HT.

jll346 and skillgannon like this.