Skinner

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by mendezj, Sep 13, 2020.

1. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    So..... we’ll have a run of Skinners for Christmas? (Please write me down for two, thank you).

klugtrane, jus_gus, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  2. ManOfSteel89

ManOfSteel89 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    @Nathan the Machinist i just got my first doe of the season yesterday. The FK does a great job as a field dressing/skinning/quartering knife that I can split the rib cage and the pelvis with.. but I NEED one of those skinners please.

3. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I'd be in for a couple too... ;)

4. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    We do skin game but never gut it anymore. The gutless method works great with way less chance of meat contamination.

5. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Yeah, other than the tenderloin there's really not a whole lot going on inside of the animal that would require gutting it if you've got a way of hoisting it up and processing it immediately after shooting it

Big DJ, Mike157, jus_gus and 2 others like this.
  6. Big DJ

Oct 29, 2013
    You can butcher an animal on the ground without a problem gutless , the tenderloins are easier to get to with a 2nd set of hands however.
    Elk and Oryx are really big and would be hard to hoist an entire animal in the field.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Mike157, jus_gus, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  7. ManOfSteel89

ManOfSteel89 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    The thought of those tenderloins with duck eggs from the coop out back makes gutting my deer worth it every time.

8. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Gutless is great under the right circumstances. Quartering and deboning methods have their place too. But when I can get the animal home to hang up in the garage and work on it there, within a couple hours of the kill at most, I'll gut it and rinse it in the field everytime.

9. Big DJ

Oct 29, 2013
    I understand but we're always miles from my truck, hours from home and I'm tired of packing out big bones.

Odog27 likes this.
  10. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Totally. If I'm miles back and hours from home, I'm deboning that Elk so I can make the fewest number of trips back to the truck. I'm not packing bones that are just going to wind up in the trash.

woodysone, Odog27 and Big DJ like this.
  11. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    Thanks for the detailed post. I enjoyed reading it.

Couple questions, when are you holding a hunting clinic that we can attend?

And did you know....

If you are all about the head shots, with a .50BMG, you can shoot very close to the head, and completely miss the deer, but the deer’s brain and eyes will be destroyed instantly and the deer will fall on the spot with 0 visible damage other than the eyes/brain. Meat is all perfect.

So in summary, the bullet travels by the deer’s head, but does not hit the deer. Deer falls dead on the spot. 0 meat damaged.

Edit: I have never personally done it and it’s controversial! May be BS.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Odog27 likes this.
  12. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Had heard similar stories, but this seems to disprove it.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/can-the-shockwave-from-a-50-bmg-really-kill-you/

Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  13. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    The link won’t open for me. I’m not sure about humans, is that what they imply in the ”you”, I’ve never tested that. Is that what they say? As far as deer I guess it might be a heart attack or some other explanation.

Up here we’re basically taught never to do head shots. There is a big focus on ethical hunting and they teach a head shot as bad practice.

I have seen a deer that looked to be shot in the jaw, I didn’t shoot it but it was not bleeding and walking around by a house. I worry a bad head shot ends like that.

I know of head shots with subsonic .22LR on farms are night which is against the law here but done to cull pest deer. It doesn’t do much damage but they do drop on the spot.

I have seen a neck shot before, and it didn’t make any crazy damage or any exploding deer. It made a good hole and the deer ran much further than expected. It bled like crazy though.

D5CD10E6-587F-4349-A1F5-C3184FD4E9AB.jpeg
    F88664A2-4A05-41A1-99C3-9B6026D237F0.jpeg

Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  14. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    They test the shockwave theory by shooting near things like a stack of red solo cups, house of cards, even a small flying drone...nothing moves. They even shoot one of the cups and it moves a bit but the stack doesn't topple.

Odog27, JustinFournier and Mike157 like this.
  15. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    That’s consistent with the neck shot. Like I said it made a hole, nothing blew up like some speculated. I’d read that it’s not ethical because of the loss of meat. Lots of talk is made about that.

Odog27, woodysone and Mike157 like this.
  16. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    If you were asking for real, the answer is, "No. The guy who made that claim is an idiot".

There was a partial video of it. The bullet hit the deer's head from the side, going in one eye and out the other. There was a short segment where examining the dead deer, you could see the top of the skull move.

If he'd skinned the skull and cleaned it, we'd have seen that the bullet impact had fractured the top of the skull (and the through-and-through bullet hole going through both eye sockets). No, the shockwave didn't kill it. The bullet did.

17. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    In one eye and out the other, pretty crazy shot!

Mike157, bluemax_1 and Odog27 like this.
  18. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I once did that by pure luck, 'slingshot fishing' when I was a dumb kid.

Me and my buddy came up with the dumb idea after seeing something about bowfishing. We took the strongest fishing line we could find and tied it to a ~3/8" lead fishing weight, then tried to shoot fish in this really murky lake we used to bike 30-45 minutes to.

The water was murky enough that we'd only see the fish in the split second when they came to the surface, so the task was made even more difficult by trying to react fast enough to the ripple of a fish randomly surfacing to snatch a bug, and trying to hit where we thought the fish might be :rolleyes:.

Dozens and dozens of shots of 'not even close' (and we discovered the dangers of trying to take shots further than the length of line tied to our slingshots, as the deep sea fishing line turned into a giant rubberband and the lead weight came whizzing back past us).

We were about to head home when I decided to try one more shot, and decided I'd aim lower and to the right. Waited for a ripple and snapped off a shot. I felt the weight on the line when I went to pull the line back in. The lead weight had gone in one eye and out the other and the line was strung through its head. Don't even remember what kind of fish it was, but fish that live in murky/muddy water don't taste very good :(

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    woodysone, Odog27, vkp78 and 2 others like this.
  19. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    And at that moment, you discovered your true talent!

Thanks for sharing the story!

You are gonna be like my CPK forum Snopes.

20. klugtrane

klugtrane

Aug 16, 2020
    I'd be in for at least one, too.

Odog27 likes this.