Slip joints or locking knives...which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by VicAlox74, Apr 10, 2020.

1. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    I like and use both.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    GIRLYmann, Bigfattyt and Alberta Ed like this.
  2. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Both.
    For my normal EDC, I have a Buck 110 and a Marbles MR417 two blade slipjoint folding hunter in my belt, and another four slipjoints of different patterns in my RF pocket.
    This month the ones in my pocket are a GEC 85 Harness Jack, GEC 61 Half Congress, Case tear drop with a Damascus blade, and a Grohmann R350S jack knife.

OH YEAH! I almost forgot. I have a SAK 'Signature' (same as the SD Classic but has a retractable (blue) ink pen in one of the covers) on my key ring, too.

3. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Both, but I will take a good friction folder, too. Lock strength has a
    low priority for me.

4. Fire Beard

Fire Beard Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I prefer a good slipjoint, personally. My favorite lock type is the back lock. But I love and own knives of all sorts, from traditional to modern, locking and non.

5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Locking, with the compression lock probably being my favourite.
    That said, I have been getting more in to "modern traditionals" lately.

anthonycastorena2014 likes this.
  6. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    I like em all! Each lock style has its benefits. Ease of carry, ease of use, strength, size etc!
    Of all the knives around now, since I got my ZT640 & modded it to my desires, I keep getting drawn back to the gitano! In green canvas micarta of course! Lionsteel and Gudy knocked this one out of the.park. I might just wait to see if they do a linerlock though!

7. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    They both have their place to me. I rock both at times, other times I'll throw one or the other in the pocket. I'm conscious of what I have on me so I approach whatever situation I'm presented with accordingly.

8. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Locking hands down. I just like them better. I'd say most can be closed with one hand now a days. That being said I carry a SAK as a loaner,quick flat head, and bottle opener.

9. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    nothing beats a well made slip joint

jackknife likes this.
  10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I love both, for different reasons. I also tend not to like elements of one on the other, stag handle scales on a modern folding knife for example. Kind of a "The East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet" sort of thing. That's just my personal preference. Most days I'm carrying at least one of each, usually more.

11. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Slip joints. I don't even own a knife with a lock. If I need a knife that absolute won't fold in me, then I carry a fixed blade.

I've got a few friction folders around too. A Japanese Higonokami and a Sardinian Resolza gets carried and used often.

Fire Beard and Hickory n steel like this.
  12. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Both are good. Slip joints are my favorite. Frickies are good too. Can't really relate to balisongs.

13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I like slip joints a lot with a good spring. Have little need for most modern locks. But I do like the axis lock quite a bit. No interest in bali's and little interest in auto knives of any kind.

I however do not depend on a lock. If I am concerned about my specific use, I go fixed blade.

Fire Beard likes this.
  14. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I prefer a lock but I do have many slipjoints.

15. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I like both,sometimes lock is handy,same with one hand opening.

16. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I like them all.... slipjoints , no locks , back locks, frame locks, liner locks, plunge locks, one handed , no handed etc, etc

IMG_0675b.jpg

lonestar1979, Edgeoflife and jfk1110 like this.
  17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I own both types of traditional folders, but I do prefer slipjoints.

I love the lockbacks I have, but have no requirements for locking blade and like how there's nothing to do with a slipjoint but push the blade closed.
    With a lockback you have to change grips and depress the lock bar.

If I like or want a knife It's not a big deal if it's a lockback, but I will say that the smaller ones have me wishing more that they were slipjoints .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Fire Beard and jackknife like this.
  18. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    For work and heavy duty tasks, medium to large folders I prefer locking. For light duty and smaller knives either is okay but usually a slip joint is sufficient.

19. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    It depends on the task. If I’m going to put torque on a blade I want it to lock. If I’m only slicing an apple a slipjoint is fine.

Lee D and Mossyhorn like this.
  20. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Both.