1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Slipjoint quality control

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by beef, Mar 20, 2013.

1. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Of the USA made stuff GEC is without a doubt the most likely to deliver a quality product.
    If you can get Buck off the shelf in Australia I would definitely look into that. If not I would consider them #2 as far as getting what you pay for when buying blind. Buck are a little utilitarian though compared to the others. Not a bad thing, but nothing new there.
    Case, and Queen including all their house brands (unless and until they prove otherwise under new ownership) are too risky to buy sight unseen IMHO, you are gambling when buying these brands.

2. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    I should qualify my previous statement - the 4 GECs I currently own have been excellent and without issue. I only own one Queen, and it is also excellent, though it needed some edge work to be serviceable. The two S&Ms I have are nice looking, and I got them for a really good price, but I would have been pretty disappointed (poor blade alignment on both, edges dull as butter knives...) had I paid normal retail for them. Especially when compared to something comparably-priced from GEC.

3. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    German-made Boker pocketknives.
    Pre-2004 Schrade Old Timers.

----------------

P.S. If I ever have the chance to take a non-work trip to Australia, I'm definitely planning two days in the Blu-ees. Drive through there all the time, but never have time to sight-see much except out the windshield.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    X 2. For the money, I've been consistently impressed at the attention to detail and quality of my Boker "Tree Brands"

5. Sharpnessis

Sharpnessis

Aug 11, 2012
    Man, I was really hoping to see someone say how great canal street Cutlery was! No one? I thought those would be pretty great?

6. Have they made stockmans?

7. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    I only have three. The first is a swing guard - not horrible, but not up to the quality of similar knives from AG Russell (Boker) or Case. The second is their ring lock, and the quality is excellent. Lastly I have one of their fixed blades, and it's beautiful and well-made.

8. PaulBosley

PaulBosley

Dec 3, 2012
    I haven't seen a canal stockman but they may have made one. All the CS I have ownd were really nice but for some reason I can't put my finger on I never keep them

9. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    I have a Queen amber carved stag bone stockman that's rather nice. Seems well put together, the scales are beautiful. Has a light pull on the main blade but it has a good snap upon opening. Of course it came butter knife dull but for $55 I couldn't complain too much.

I have a couple GECs and they were close to flawless. The only issue with both was out of box sharpness. Easily remedied.

The one Case I have is a Prime Stag trapper. It's quite nice but the blades aren't centered so they rub on the liner. I got it for a pretty good price and I don't want to lose the stag on them by sending it in and having them swap it for a new knife, so I don't mind a tiny bit of rubbing near the tip.

Overall from what I've read over and over on here, I'd say GEC is probably the least gamble when buying sight unseen, if you exclude Victorinox, that is. I am always amazed when I pick up my Vic Farmer or Tourist. They're both more or less flawless and they came sharp. If I could get a Tourist or Farmer in stag I'd be quite happy.

10. akadave2

akadave2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I really love the Queen and Schatt & Morgan patterns. They are just classic! I also love all the outsourced knives made by Queen. What I dont like is that 1 in 3 knives will have a wobbley blade. I cant say if this will be a pattern with the new owners but right now its a problem and a particularly irritating one to me. An otherwise beatifully made knife with a wobbley blade...just sad...:confused:

11. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    I only have a couple modern Queen folders, namely a Schatt and Morgan File & Wire and a Heritage, and the quality is excellent. However, given the frequent complaints I've read here on BladeForums I wouldn't describe their quality as "consistent," and I would not recommend them to someone ordering from overseas.

Their traditional fixed blades on the other hand, I've purchased several and absolutely would recommend.

12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, they have. Same pattern as the Queen #9, but with long bolsters and 440C steel.

[​IMG]

13. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    The GEC #66 Calf Roper (stockman pattern) was my 1st GEC and has been a perfect companion.
    Since then, I've picked up 16 more GEC slipjoints and have yet to find a problem with any of them that couldn't be easily fixed on my own...and im NOT what you would call a handyman.
    I've had issues with newer Case, Queen/S&M, and Boker.
    Victorinox is another company that has excellent QC.

14. fatcorgi

fatcorgi

Nov 12, 2011
    I'm a native of that region to. I miss it sometimes, but when I am visiting I do miss the somewhat easier access to good, economical knife purchases :)

15. Sharpnessis

Sharpnessis

Aug 11, 2012
    On a website they have it listed but none are in stock

16. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    I will vouch for the Canal Street ones. They are now one of the most consistent, smooth and generally beautiful knives I have seen. GEC is also tops.

17. akadave2

akadave2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I have yet to try a Canal Street. Not a big fan of their shield. But a good knife is a good knife. Do you know if they pin the shield?

18. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I don't believe it's pinned.

19. TomTerrific

TomTerrific Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Go to the DropPointHunter site and ask him the question directly.

20. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    One option might be the TAYLORS EYE WITNESS "Australian Stockman", made in UK, but available in Australia (there's a surprise! :rolleyes:).

Just google it, should be easy to find. At least this way, if it's not up to standard, it'll be easier to send back. Heard quite good things about Taylors Eye, but never owned one.

Good luck! hth, John