1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Small bushcraft knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Indoril, May 27, 2013.

1. MAKnifenut

MAKnifenut

May 14, 2013
    Lapplander 90. Seems to me that fits the bill pretty well

2. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I stand corrected, that Mora does fit the bill. I can't seem to find anyone who sells that model, although it was just a quick google search. Do you know where it can be purchased?

3. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    +1 on the BK24

[​IMG]

4. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    If the handle is the problem with the Fallkniven F1, I'd strongly recommend you look at the H1; handle shape completely different. I've got both and the handle is far more comfortable and hand filling.

5. meanwhile

meanwhile

Nov 20, 2005
    Amazon. And ebay.

Technically speaking it isn't full tang because the tang is enclosed - but it's a huge great slab tang not a rat tail, so it's just as strong as a full tang but thermally insulated and better protected from water (big things for the Scandanavians because snow + coastline.) Even the Mora Clipper is tang failure free under batoning and it has a ting tang compared to the "big" Moras like the Robust, the Black, and the 2000.

6. MAKnifenut

MAKnifenut

May 14, 2013
    I cant find any US sources but i found a site that is selling them in the uk. I also found a site that sells the blades for it.
    http://www.prosharp.co.uk/detail.as...knife+Forest+Lapplander+90<br>90mm/3.5+inches
    http://hwesta.eu/knives-tools--knives--blades/mora-of-sweden-mora-laplander-90-blade/

7. Creaky Bones

Feb 28, 2012
    £138? That's British pounds sterling, right? I never thought I'd see a $200 Mora. Who knew? Weird that the blade blank is only $50, not counting shipping to the US.

8. Creaky Bones

Feb 28, 2012
    The model MAKnifenut referrenced actually is full tang, with wooden scales, and isn't available on amazon or ebay. It does look like a nice little knife, and by far the best looking mora I've ever seen...at least to my jaded old eyes.

9. abolt2

abolt2

Nov 4, 2009
    White river knife and tool backpacker or one of their other models. I'm thinking on getting the one in S30V. They look like a cross between the Izula and the Spyderco street beat.

10. Indoril

Indoril

May 27, 2013
    Wow, now that is pretty much exactly the kind of knife I am talking about. There's even a model with G10 scales, called the Caper. It looks small, light and elegant, yet robust enough for some bushcraft use.
    Here's a video showing them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH47d2VmieE

Kind of pricey though. So the question is, does anyone know anywhere that has these at a decent price?

11. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    You can get a Blind Horse Knives Bushbaby in stainless steel, and they are well under $150. they offer pretty much any of their models in a few steel choices, but the Bushbaby would probably meet your requirements the best.

12. BURNSY56

BURNSY56

Dec 13, 2003
    Enzo Trapper. Great knife (but in 01 steel) Make your own from a kit. Easy, fun and cost effective.

13. parbajtor

parbajtor

Nov 24, 2010
    Boker Plus Bushcraft Knife- does what it says on the tin.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  14. abolt2

abolt2

Nov 4, 2009
    Have you found a knife yet?

15. aguijonmagico

aguijonmagico

Mar 24, 2013

agree

16. Indoril

Indoril

May 27, 2013
    I've been doing some searching, and I think I've settled on the TOPS MIL-SPIE 3. Here's why:

• 3 - 4 inch blade + full tang. . . . . . . . . . . 3.5 inch blade, full tang
    • stainless steel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 154 CM
    • on the thicker side, 3 - 4 mm at least. . . . . 3 / 16 of an inch thick
    • weighs no more than 5.5 ounces . . . . . . . . about 5 ounces
    • deep, prominent finger choil . . . . . . . . . . . prominent choil
    • max budget is $150. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $100

The knife is a bit more tactical looking than I'd like, but it fulfills all my criteria quite well and I'm sure it sure it can perform admirably as a bushcraft knife. I like the traditional drop point shape also. The only thing I'm iffy on is the lackluster scales, but if I really want I might be able to get some more comfortable custom scales made sometime in the future. I know it's somewhat of an unorthodox choice, but if you guys see no issue with it then I'm placing the order this week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  17. abolt2

abolt2

Nov 4, 2009
    My local shop just got some of the Mil- Spie 3's and 5's in. I have carried a Benchmade Griptilian in 154CM for 3 years now, and I really like the 154CM. Holds a good edge and not really all that hard to sharpen. Looks like a good tough little knife.

18. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not an experienced outdoorsman, but I just returned from a 7-day primitive skills course in Boulder Utah. A fixed blade knife is required and all students are required to have it on them at all times on their belt. The school's recommended knife is the Mora Bushcraft Triflex. Both instructors are accomplished and experienced outdoorsman who could survive without any equipment except a knife. They both carried the Mora Classic 1 with the red handle. I took a handmade custom that I bought here on BF which had 5/32" thick blade. Of course my knife performed well. We used our personal knife extensively throughout the day and field sharpened them with 400 and 600 grit wet/dry sand paper block. For the type of work we did, I would say the Mora Triflex was a better performer all around than my handmade knife. Of course I had personal pride in my knife, but from a user perspective, I think the Mora was lighter and faster in the hand and more useful all around than the thicker blade.

Just my opinion from my short experience, good luck in your choice

19. Indoril

Indoril

May 27, 2013
    I just recently discovered another possibility that could put all other options to rest. A CKC 1.X or 2.X series knife. They look extremely comfortable, and are exactly the kind of design I'm looking for.
    However, I suspect they're beyond my budget. Anyone have any idea how much they tend to go for?

[​IMG]

20. Dirtknap

Dirtknap

Aug 23, 2012
    Entrek Forester 440c