1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Small EDC fixed blade with decent handle ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by C_Becker, Jun 8, 2013.

1. C_Becker

C_Becker

Oct 7, 2012
    So what I'm looking for is a nice little fixed blade for EDC. I really like the Boker/Krein PSK, but the handle is too small - I hate 3-finger grips.
    I already own a BK14, if that handle was just a little longer it would be perfect

So maybe someone can recommend me a knife that fits my criteria:

I was thinking 3" max blade length
    decent handle size (I have glove size 9, so not really large hands)
    full flat or at least high flat grind
    not thicker than 4mm
    "stainless" steel (at least D2 level of corrosion resistance)
    micarta, g10 or other "modern" handle material

Thanks in advance and looking forward to you recommendations :thumbup:

EDIT: Forgot to add, under 100€ would be nice

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. Wevil

Wevil

May 11, 2010
    The smallest fixed knives I have found that have a useable handle are the Izula II and the Fallkniven WM1. Any smaller than that does not work well for me.

3. Nick18

Nick18

Dec 11, 2012
    My favorite small fixed blade would be the Candiru, but you have to invest in a better sheath and scales.

Edit: forget it, grip will be too small, I have really small hands so for me its a 4 finger grips, for you probably a 3 finger grip.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  4. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    You are looking for a BK24.

5. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    OP already said his BK 14 handle was too short, and the handle on the BK 24 is the same. I agree that the Izula II has the best handle of the bunch. If BKT had opted for the Izula II handle instead of the shorter Izula handle, the 24 would have been in my left hand while I typed this with my right.

You could try a Tops Mil-Spie 3 in 154cm, but the blade is 3.5". Entrek Badger is a smidge bigger than your specs. Another option is a Buck Paklite. It's hollow ground, which is not my favorite or your preference, but the handle is bigger than the BK 14, it's stainless, it's comfortable with a paracord wrap, and it's $20 or less with the Buck warranty. I prefer the Izula II, but when I want to go stainless, the paklite is hard to argue with.

6. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    Another vote for the Fallkniven WM1 or Izula.

7. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    spyderco enuff

[​IMG]

8. 2manyknives

2manyknives

Aug 9, 2006
    It's outside the price range (not by a huge amount) but the best small knife I own is the Dozier Personal. The grip is excellent - even for big hands, workmanship is superb and it comes with one of the best kydex sheaths around. Blade is D2 and is hollow ground rather than flat - not sure how important that is to you. For most tasks it outclasses my other small blades. You can get the specs from the Dozier website.

They are not that convenient to buy but AG Russell often has some in stock.

9. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    And a special thanks to goodeyesniper for adding one more item to my Amazon wish list. Dammit.

10. Dan57

Dan57

Apr 8, 2012
    I really like the looks of the Boker Ridgeback. It's not widely available yet, but will be soon. There's also the Boker Kwaito, though the blade's probably too large for you.
    And, if you liked the Dozier that 2manyknives suggested, Boker also makes a model similar to that one, and for a much lower price.

11. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    One of this, or this. Both are good makers, and the blades fit your requirement.

12. Wevil

Wevil

May 11, 2010
    Ditto

13. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Izula 2 is supposed to be coming out in stainless "soon".
    otherwise, get a BK24 and have some over-length after-market scales made.

14. C_Becker

C_Becker

Oct 7, 2012
    Lots of good suggestions so far :thumbup:
    I'm trying to avoid carbon steel and coatings,its gonna be used for food prep at work mainly and I prefer stainless for that.

The Spyderco Enuff looks quite good, but its 180€ over here :grumpy:
    BK24 with larger scales is a great idea as well, maybe I'm gonna go for that
    I'm drooling at a Cuscadi WM1, but its too expensive for me :cry:

15. Brisket

Brisket

Aug 2, 2009
    Here are 3 of my favorite small fixed blades all small enough overall for pocket carry yet with big enough handle to wrap my sausage fingers around:

ESEE Izula II with TKC Micarta handles
    Fallkniven WM1 3G
    Koster K6 Karda CPM-3V

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. mrynecy

mrynecy

Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  17. C_Becker

C_Becker

Oct 7, 2012
    Nickturbo, man you pretty much nailed it. Those knives look awesome !
    Now I gotta get one :D