Small Fixed Blade Comparison

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by alliuse, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you very much my friend . I also was able to get the Squirrel in the Tusk also . I want to say again what I nice collection you have .

Harry

2. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    I love knives of this size. I have a sizable stable of these....

Will Power and knowtracks like this.
  3. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    No Dozier?
    My all time, hands down favorite little FB
    [​IMG]
    The Personal Utility.

Here it is with it's stable mates
    [​IMG]

Alliuse, you, collector of fine small knifs, need a Dozier Knife.
    :)

4. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Very nice collection. I know one you need, something from Horsewright knives. I am fond of the Tapadero or Sonoran belt knife, but he has a lot of small ones, and a great sheath too. One of his will be my grail knives to shoot for, and use. Some of the others I like are from Childress knives.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    alliuse likes this.
  5. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Nice thread @alliuse, thanks. I like a small fixed blade. Here's my smallest, compared to a dollar bill and a Buck 110. An Arno Bernard, but, I don't know the name of the model...
    [​IMG]

6. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    I like your Arno Bernard my friend . I do not recognize the model . How old is it ???

Harry

pjsjr likes this.
  7. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Really enjoyed the photos and admired your collection :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:, although I've not allowed myself to investigate fixed blades at all. But maybe that's changing. I'm thinking of buying a Victorinox paring knife and finding a way to carry it in my pocket. :rolleyes: (Or I could always stick it in my backpack.)

- GT

JohnDF, knowtracks and alliuse like this.
  8. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Thanks Harry, I bought it used in the late 90s.

Old Engineer likes this.
  9. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I have looked at the Meerkat for years. Could someone put up an in hand pic? Also, how does it feel in the pocket? Thanks.

knowtracks and Old Engineer like this.
  10. alliuse

alliuse Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Here are some pics. For reference I wear a size large glove. Works great in pocket.

42B217EA-02B0-4F03-ACBB-9266D6B5C9D3.jpeg 141F9745-6F79-454F-B51D-96DE0F00E2CE.jpeg 9B45B129-34F2-4762-9C96-83D6FAA8140E.jpeg

sunknife, knowtracks, pjsjr and 2 others like this.
  11. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    From what I have found , Arno Bernard is No Longer Making the Meerkat . Only the Gecko and Squirrel in the Bush Baby series . So if there are any of the Meerkats , Galagos or Porcupines out there that you want , now would be a good time to get them . Some of my favorite dealers still have some .

Harry

knowtracks, redsparrow and alliuse like this.
  12. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    Great idea for a thread, very useful. Thanks! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

knowtracks likes this.
  13. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    Small contribution with some smaller fixed blades I haven't seen posted (unless I missed them). L - R ESEE Xancudo and Izula, Case Pen and Tribal Lock for size comparison, Bark River Mini Kephart, and AB Meerkat also for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

14. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    LT Wright coyote compared to a GEC 77
    [​IMG]

15. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Great to see your Meerkat again my friend .

Harry

OldHercDude likes this.
  16. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Excellent comparison, thank you! For me the size of the blade seems to be inversely proportional to my age! :D The Runt is an exceptional small blade, I recently acquired for a friend and got a chance to fondle it.

alliuse likes this.
  17. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    Thank you Harry.

I think your posts were what started me down this particular rabbit hole. I love seeing your small collection anytime you post them. :)

Looks like there are a few of us with AB warthog tusk models.

(I hope AB does new runs with the material, it looks great and feels good in the hand as well IMHO.)

Old Engineer likes this.
  18. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Just trying to be a good Enabler my friend . I see that there is still at least One of the Geckos in Wart Hog Ivory out there . They are great Little knives that actually give a person a chance to buy some still Legal Ivory at a still decent price .

Harry

knowtracks and OldHercDude like this.
  19. OldHercDude

OldHercDude

Jun 28, 2020
    Indeed. Depending on how things go this year, I might try to grab a Bongo in warthog tusk.

Old Engineer likes this.
  20. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    alliuse likes this.