1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 24 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Benchmade 535 Bugout, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Small Simple Fire

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by LostViking, May 5, 2019.

1. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I had a free Saturday afternoon. Which has been rare lately. Even more rare was the fact that it wasn’t snowing or raining.

Some fire prep,
    [​IMG]

Some feathers, some shavings from the spine,
    [​IMG]

I’s been extremely wet here. Between the snow and the rain. So I decided to hedge my bets and add a little birch bark to catch some sparks.
    [​IMG]

I scraped a little off the fire rod on top of the pile before I went for the spark. It took off fairly fast.

Fast enough, that I felt compelled to get Brian’s knife out of harm’s way immediately after this shot.
    [​IMG]

Nothing overly technical or challenging. But it’s a comforting feeling, knowing you can get a fire going in wet conditions, with just a knife and a ferro rod.

Adding more fuel,
    [​IMG]

Sometimes it takes the simple low stress things to recharge my batteries.

j_d, Hard Knocks, buckfynn and 6 others like this.
  2. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Love a good fire... now tell me about that knife!!! :D

LostViking likes this.
  3. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    Deinos,

The knife is Brian’s (Sargent Edged Tools) M3. Stellar Blade!
    [​IMG]

buckfynn, d762nato, JV3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Do you know the species of tree you used for fuel? Seems deciduous from here.

I seem to have more success in the wet season of Spring with non pine and fir trees, even if they have high pitch content like Ponderosa Pine or Douglas Fir.

Nice pictures - thanks for sharing.

LostViking likes this.
  5. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    I don’t have a ton of evergreen trees available in my immediate AOR. Some but not many.

The primary tree species here are Hard Maple, Beech, and Cherry. Poplar and Soft Maple are also prevelant.

In looking back at the fire. I’d say a combo of some Beech, Hard Maple and Cherry. Mostly sourced from what I find on the ground and hanging in the trees. Knowing where I was, the area is heavy with these trees.

Hurrul likes this.
  6. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Thanks LostViking - happy trails to you out there.

LostViking likes this.