1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Small thin drop point fixed blade wanted ...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sid Post, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    I'm looking for a relatively small fixed blade drop point. It needs to be thin and needs to have excellent blade and edge geometry for cutting things like food, fabric, light wood (think feathering sticks for a fire) and other generally fine and/or detailed work. No prying, no batoning through logs, etc.

I prefer a modern stainless, no stamped steels please for blade material. I'm not opposed to 440C and similar but, would like SVN35 or similar. The blade needs to have a relatively flat profile (no small wheel 'flats') with a sabre or flat grind preferred. By thin, something around 5/32" thickness and a blade length of 3.5"~4.0" (nothing 3.0" or 5.0") as it needs to be unobtrusive tucked into a pants pocket, on a belt or, in a pack, bags, etc. I prefer something lightweight but, it needs to have a 'normal' sized handle for comfortable extended use.

For reference, the White River Firecraft Pro 3.5" model looks pretty good but, the ring handle and small scales are a bit hard to get past. The firesteel notch and firesteel are not really needed in my case but, I can get past that. If it had a more hand-filling grip, I think it would get me across the finish line in the checkout process. ;)

What do you recommend for a knife like this in the <$150 range of options?

TIA,
    Sid

2. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Spyderco ENUFF -- VG-10, good stuff.

3. `br4dz-

`br4dz- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Have you looked at a lionsteel M1 or M4? What about a bradford guardian 3.5?

4. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003
    I’m not sure if it matches everything you are looking for but check out the Spyderco Streetbeat :)

5. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Checkout some of Duck Childress's 440C stuff on the exchange.

jux t, kagato82 and JohnWE like this.
  6. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    [​IMG]
    The bottom one... but it's only 3/32, and 3.3" blade (m390)

7. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998

What is that bottom one? Looks interesting. On a cellphone so I can't read the makers mark.

8. Bluearcflash

Bluearcflash Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Look for SamuraiStuart on the knife makers exchange. He makes great knives with everything you are looking for .

9. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    I like the Spyderco Bill Moran drop point, and the Gayle Bradley Bowie. I use the Moran as my field knife when hunting and camping. It is an easy carry, good sheath, works well when dressing deer, etc.

10. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Honestly the Street Beat is one of my favourite edc fixed blade but the knife is abit thick behind the edge and also not a drop point.

@Sid Post check out the White River Backpacker pro or Caper for some great edc fixed blade options.

11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Manly Patriot.

Dean51 likes this.
  12. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    buck open season caper pro 3.5" with s35vn - and only $120
    [​IMG]

cbach8tw likes this.
  13. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    You might check out the TRC Knives XS Splinter. Checks most of the boxes, but can be a little difficult to find sometimes. About 3.5" blade, N690/Elmax/M390 options for steel, maybe a little thinner than you want at around .100" thick. The regular XS Splinter (FFG) runs just over your price limit and the 'deluxe' (high sabre grind) runs about 50 bucks over, but still deserve a look IMO.

[​IMG]

Pomsbz, Seesteel and Spikediesel like this.
  14. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

15. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    The Bradford Guardian 3.5, while a good knife doesn't fit my hand well for some reason. The grip and scales are also a bit big for what I want.

16. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
  17. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Would rust be an issue with a BRK Mimi Kephart in 3V? The profile and size seem to be a good fit and prices run ~$150. 3V would certainly take a beating better in this thin stock than some other options I have looked at.

18. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Had the exact same problem with it. Ended up getting a Sheepsfoot 3 in V4E that worked perfectly.

Sid Post likes this.