1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Smithing hammer from O1?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Bob From Accounting, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Bob From Accounting

Bob From Accounting

Sep 19, 2016
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am going to make another hammer with a hammer. I plan on making a 2lb hammer out of O1 tool steel. I have a 1" diameter rod that I make my drifts out of. I have all the means to heat treat it does anyone have any objections or tidbits over using this steel. This hammer is going to be used for alot of my flat work on my blades and some fine tuning.

2. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    It's really not an appropriate choice .You need tough not high hardness. Good hammer steels are ,4140,4340, S7, 5160,9260.

3. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    As mentioned it will work, just dont leave it too hard. But its not a good choice for hammers.

4. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    The very first hammer I made was out of D2 and I have used it ALOT. And it's been perfect and still one of my favort hammers. When it comes to hammers I think just about any steel can be used as long as it's not harder then your anvil.