Smock KnifeJoy exclusive

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Jlindauer, Apr 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jlindauer

Jlindauer

Feb 22, 2020
    Just got my new KnifeJoy exclusive smock in 20cv today. Within 3 flicks it slipped out of my hand, nearly took off the tip of my toe and bent the tip of the knife. If you really want the 20cv like I did plan on getting aftermarket scales. The slick G10 makes this knife difficult to hold onto while fidgeting. Very disappointed, as if 2020 couldn’t get any worse.

2. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    I dont think you can blame the knife for this. Maybe you can, but it was advertised as "Smooth G10"

I also got a 20cv Smock for myself and I also did drop the knife, more than once. Mine survived.

I've considered getting new scales but then I'd lose the ability to get it in and out of my pocket so easily.

I've dropped other knives too, even ones with extremely grippy handles.

The smooth G10 has it's advantages

Roy Batty likes this.
  3. Jlindauer

Jlindauer

Feb 22, 2020
    I didn’t read the smooth G-10. I was hiding from my wife in the bathroom when I was ordering it for my physical well-being. Too pressed for time to review the details. I still would have bought it anyways just for the 20cv, didn’t realize smooth G-10 would be so slippery. And of course I dropped it right over tile floor. Gonna get some new scales from sharp dressed knives. Just blows to drop the sucker in less than 5 minutes.

4. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    How bad is the tip of the knife?

5. Jlindauer

Jlindauer

Feb 22, 2020
    Barley bent. After I cleared the tears from my eyes I realized it wasn’t as bad an I had thought. I was able to use a steel to get it back 90% and sharped the rest out that I could without taking a lot of material off. It’s about 99% back to normal.

slimshaneee likes this.
  6. Jlindauer

Jlindauer

Feb 22, 2020
    Barley bent. After I cleared the tears from my eyes I realized it wasn’t as bad an I had thought. I was able to use a steel to get it back 90% and sharped the rest out that I could without taking a lot of material off. It’s about 99% back to normal.

7. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Was about to buy until I realized it’s smooth G10. That isn’t inherently bad (like on the Cruwear manix) but I can’t see that working for the Smock; there’s just not much grip to begin with.

8. Jlindauer

Jlindauer

Feb 22, 2020
    It definitely makes it harder to manipulate. Debating on new scales or trying to add traction to the smooth scales.

9. Jlindauer

Jlindauer

Feb 22, 2020
    Anyone have any experience in sanding/bead blasting G10 to add more traction?

MessOnAMission likes this.
  10. pcguy23

pcguy23 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2014
    I bought the Smock for the 20CV steel since it's very close to M390 which is my favorite at the moment,
    but I agree on the factory scales, too slippery
    RC Bladeworks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Huge difference, that and the clip

11. DA170

DA170 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2020
    I thought I read of someone sanding a little "texture " into one of the Smooth G10 Knife Center Exclusives, Not sure where though!

woodysone likes this.
  12. Jlindauer

Jlindauer

Feb 22, 2020
    I was thinking about trying some bead blasting on the scales. Don’t really want to fork out another $70 for scales.

GerBill and woodysone like this.
  13. dcycleman

dcycleman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2009
    you could probably just sand them with like 80 grit, that would give them some grip

woodysone likes this.
  14. Roundg

Roundg

Apr 20, 2020
    Interesting. I have the Manic Cruwear with the smooth G10. I find it’s very pleasing.

15. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    The Smock doesn’t have the hand fitting design or the metal jimping like the Manix though, I agree smooth G10 can be fine, but I don’t think this is a case of it.

16. Buellrider

Buellrider Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I just picked one of these up off the sales forum. Loving everything about the knife except the scales even though they look great. I read that they were smooth, but I didn’t expect them to be this smooth. I have an MCusta with very smooth Micarta scales and was able to rough them up some with sand paper and they still look nice. I don’t think the G10 would have the same result.

Will be looking into a scale swap very soon.

GerBill likes this.
  17. DWood

DWood

Feb 3, 2007
    I really like button lock flippers and picked the Smock up from Knifejoy as well. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like the scales and went with a set of Sharp Dressed Knives brown micarta. Now I really like the Smock and since Knifejoy didn't raise the price for their exclusive I didn't think spending $69 for micarta was too bad.

GerBill and woodysone like this.
  18. Samarix

Samarix

Jan 4, 2014
    For those who might have missed out, this was on the knifejoy Instagram earlier today.

[​IMG]

dcycleman likes this.
  19. Buellrider

Buellrider Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    So I had some time to spare today and decided to do something about the slick scales on my Smock. I used a polar block and essentially took the shiny clear coating off of the G10 which turned out better than I had hoped. The scales are more matte, which I like, and there is considerably more grip now than before. Granted, their not as grippy as textured G10 or Micarta but I feel more comfortable fidgeting and using this knife than I did before.

[​IMG]

Sanded on the right.

[​IMG]

GerBill likes this.
  20. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    Personally I like the smooth g10. I never had any issues with the slipping, but I keep a good hold on the pocket clip with my fingers while opening.