1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Snarking On A Tropical Becker Island

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by tanglediver, Apr 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Smack that anvil!!

Xr6x, tanglediver and GeofS like this.
  2. Galeocerdoshark

Galeocerdoshark

May 21, 2011
    Washed some 200kg of clay and silt today. Found some good teeth. Totalled 7 bags of some 20-30kg of clay that I gathered a lot of years ago, finally getting around to washing them and drying the residue. The largest mesh had these in it. 50 more bags to go.
    The two lower ones are teeth of Cretolamna appendiculata. The button-like teeth are Ptychodus. The small top one is definitely Ptychodus mammilaris but I'm not sure yet on the other species. It's definitely the largest of the genus I've found to date. This extinct genus didn't generally actively hunt for fish so they did not need pointy, dagger like teeth like you can see in the examples of Cretolamna in order to grasp slippery food and never let go. Instead they were more passively on the seafloor waiting for prey to pass by so they could snatch and crush it. Hence, mostly shellfish and clams were on their menu. They'd use these hard, ribbed flat teeth to crush the shell and eat the meat.
    Spyderco dragonfly for comparison since it was in my pocket.

[​IMG]

3. GeofS

GeofS Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Extremely cool. :thumbsup:

Xr6x, Galeocerdoshark and tanglediver like this.
  4. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Put the cart together tonight. Not too bad, but the poly tub was thinner than I expected it to be. It said in the info that came with it, that it will handle 600lb distributed evenly, but 300lbs if you use the dump feature. Should still work out okay.

5. tanglediver

tanglediver Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Can you have that poly tub bronzed? :D
    Daizee, I tried a ball bearing drop test last night to test rebound. I was quite disappointed with the result. My ball bearing left marks in the surface and rebounded a paltry 6 inches when dropped from 10 inches. 60% = F
    Gonna need another go-round. Besides, I got another anvil. :p

6. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Dang, how high do you think you can get it?
    Want to move my anvil to my shop and grind the surface clean while you're at it. :-D

GeofS and tanglediver like this.
  7. tanglediver

Sep 2, 2013
    Oh I sure do! :D Except, grinding anvils is not to be taken lightly. Like killing a Mocking bird....
    I guess if it rebounded 70%, I'ld leave well enough alone. I've seen 90%.
    I've had the Russian for 25 years. The first thing I did years ago was smack it with a hammer. That left a dent in the surface just like it was made of wood. :(

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  8. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    IIRC, hard face rod is only good to about 40-45RC.
    have you considered getting it surface ground and re-tempered?

9. tanglediver

Sep 2, 2013
    I used Stoody rod on it, and I will probably lay it on thicker and grind it flat once more before I try to quench harden it. Quenching takes A LOT of water! I was reading in my copy of "The Mousehole Forge", that the source of Mousehole anvils for centuries was their forge built on the River Rivelin, near Sheffield. River water is what quenched their anvils, fascinating history. I have a 99 pound Mousehole that rebounds 90%. As it is, I am not yet worthy to pound steel on a masterpiece like that, I've got chunks of rail, or my farriers JHM basic to work on if I need it.
    ~~

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    GeofS likes this.
  10. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    if you quench it face down, you use a lot less water - and the rest of the anvil helps do a draw temper.

11. DunkEm

DunkEm Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2013
    This is after running the facuet for 2 minutes.

[​IMG]

The first cup came in at 91.6°F after only a few seconds of running the tap.

Tropical Becker Island indeed.

I'm about ready for the Christmas Becker Island.

12. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Just finished off my bottle of laphroaig quarter cask. Holy chitballs am I buzzing or what, haha. Dayum. Last sip went down the wrong pipe, damn near kilt me.

13. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Wheee, Dubz!! :D

re: anvils
    Just bounced mine with an 11/16" bearing: ~80%+, without cleaning the surface. Getting ready to move it to the shop in the next few days.

14. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I am feeling no pain, haha.

GeofS, tanglediver and Xr6x like this.
  15. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    And it's only Thursday :D :thumbsup:

16. tanglediver

Sep 2, 2013
    80% on a dirty surface is excellent!!
    ~~
    In other news, I accepted a job offer this morning, ... from my previous employers. It's been a decade and a half since I left. I've been back to school since then, knowing what they needed and what I might be able to handle. It will involve steel work, lots of steel work.

GeofS, Xr6x and DunkEm like this.
  17. DunkEm

DunkEm Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2013
    GeofS, Xr6x and tanglediver like this.
  18. tanglediver

Sep 2, 2013
    Thank you DunkEm. :)

DunkEm, GeofS and Xr6x like this.
  19. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member