SNKs Red G10 4V Paramilitary 2

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by DA170, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    Site did not run for me, I was logged in to account before drop time and put in cart immediately, and when payment went I was told “waiting in line to checkout” and then when I was sent to checkout “sold out”.

2. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Yes, sold out in under 2 minutes and I read that it started with 900 knives. I got my info in and then it was sold out.

3. Wolfpack79

Wolfpack79

Mar 25, 2020
    Those went quick!

4. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    What's the point of having a spot in line while waiting to check out if the knife is gone by the time they let me try to pay?

sliceofaloha and Elgatodeacero like this.
  5. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Legit question.

6. crya

crya Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Yeah
    I got same message. Never seen that feature before. Due to high traffic volume etc. but I got kicked back to re-enter cc info and....SUCCESS!

7. Knibes

Knibes

Oct 9, 2013
    Said 901 in stock when I added to cart. I didn't hurry but somehow got one even after double checking my new credit card info. I did "wait in line to checkout."

8. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    I asked St. Nicks this question and one of their employees sent me a short email that basically said there is no cart protection and you don’t have knife unless checkout is completed. This doesn’t make sense because if I put the knife in my cart and go to check out and get in a line, logically it is not possible to lose the knife.

I am no stranger to quick drops, but I don’t think I will be doing that again at St. Nicks.

Something seems off with that process.

9. Peacedivision

Peacedivision

Sep 4, 2018
    Their system (shopify or esselrate or something) does not track items in carts, only in stock or sold. Putting the knife in your cart doesn't do anything. If you are checking out at the same time as 1,000 other people and they finish checking out first, you can lose your item. This is how basically every ecommerce system works.

DA170 and KP like this.
  10. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Damn this is just crazy.Regardless of how many are available.

11. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    St Nicks should have ordered 5,000.

DA170 likes this.
  12. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    This was the first St Nick's exclusive I tried to buy. Because of the results I've read about from their other exclusives, I wasn't too surprised that it sold out fast again. But... it didn't seem normal. Whatever, lots of knives in the world.

sliceofaloha likes this.
  13. knife_fan

knife_fan Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2012
    I believe Spyderco limits all exclusives to a maximum order of 1,200. Most likely to limit any one dealer's order from taking up to much time on the production floor. Dealers can usually submit another order, but it won't be ran for an extended period of time.

DA170 likes this.
  14. 8-Fingers

8-Fingers Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Also, even a 1200 piece run is a lot of capital for a smaller knife shop like St. Nicks to have tied up into production for a long period of time. As I understand it, they pay the total lot costs upfront..

DA170 likes this.
  15. knife_fan

knife_fan Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2012
    I've heard that as well

16. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    As a small business owner I could see tying up $120,000 for 9 to 18 months to get $90,000 in profit, regardless of how quickly it comes once you release, would be difficult. Larger, more liquid ventures can exploit it to all of our joy. I'm totally guessing costs...

sliceofaloha likes this.
  17. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    I'm definitely not a steel expert but the following is what I believe to be true.

CPM-4V should first be compared with M4 because it beats it for strength, durability, and also seems to have a little more edge retention.

CPM-3V would be the strongest and most durable steel for a knife period, but sacrifices edge retention. CPM-4V is the better balance for a folder... almost like a juiced up Cru-wear. 4V has ridiculously high strength and its edge retention is superior to the other "tough" steels or at least competitive with the top end of that range, of which REX-45 is also in the mix.

sharp_edge likes this.
  18. DA170

DA170 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Congratulations to all who scored! Hats off to ST. Nick's Knives for commissioning successful exclusives and building a website to handle the heavy traffic! Looking forward to seeing the pictures :cool:

KP likes this.
  19. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Same thing happened to me...guess I need to juice up my typing skills :eek:

20. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    OK guys - 5,000 pieces of PM2 won't happen. Can we ask SNK for 1,200 pieces of Military in this exact configuration?

Spyderco folks - It is time to deliver some sort of Military sprint runs / dealer exclusives. I don't care about compression lock Military or Military 2. Just the old fashion linerlock Military with red g10 and black DLC 4V should make me happy.

DMD08, Ajack60, DA170 and 1 other person like this.