So called "Real damascus" for under $100?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by AshesFall, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I stand corrected. Most antique weapons collectors I know make a distinction between Wootz(crucible steel) and Damascus (pattern welded steel). This is to distinguish method of production and appearance of the steel.

Thanks for the excellent article.
    Rich

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  2. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    All Damascus steel was Wootz steel
    Not all Wootz steel was Damascus steel.

All Damascus steel, was processed by the Wootz method, but the ore from which Damascus steel was made had a specific composition which resulted in the formation of the "Damascus Pattern". You can make steel with a different composition using the Wootz method and it still won't show the pattern.

So you have to use the Wootz method, but you also need the correct composition in order to end up with Damascus steel.

3. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019

Ahhh ok. Some of the things I read didn't really distinguish that wootz was the method. Just said wootz Damascus. Got it now!

And I will read that article larrin. I believe I have, but it's been a while.

4. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I would phrase it another way:
    All Wootz is Damascus steel, but not all Damascus is Wootz.
    Rich

You live and learn or you don't live long. (Trying to do both)

JDRanger likes this.
  5. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    No. Re-read my above post.
    "wootz" is a processing method to make steel out of ore and carbon.
    The ore must possess a specific composition in order to end up with the Damascus pattern.

6. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I have forged Damascus blades (badly), but never made anything that anyone would call Wootz.

Have a good evening. Bye.
    Rich

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  7. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    It was called 'Damascus steel' because the Crusaders and traders who brought the steel to Europe brought it FROM the city of Damascus. The legendary 'Damascus steel' swords and knives were wootz. Therefore, the term 'Damascus steel' refers to a WHERE, not a WHAT.

Rich S likes this.
  8. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    But are the washers hand fit??

Richard Coyle likes this.
  9. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    I see a company called Albatross selling Damascus knives for under $100.

The knives look pretty good.

Personally, I don’t have interest in low cost Damascus blades but thought I’d mention this company.

10. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Damascus and Wootz are merely more ex-super steels like VG-10 or SV30. Amazing in their time but now merely a rung on the ladder.

11. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    JDRanger -

I saw an Albatross in VG10/Damascus on a site and for the price took a chance.Very pleasantly surprised. It is VG10/Damascus laminate built on the same frame as the now out of production Colt in D2. Also the same as the Damascus Boker Gent I believe. All from the same factory I suspect. The Albatross is very sharp, well centered with no blade play, opens easily with it's thumb stud and locks up perfectly. IMHO a well made, inexpensive VG10/Damascus knife. Quite usable.
    Rich

JDRanger likes this.
  12. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    The Damasteel blades look great but are pretty pricey.

60275C78-C1E2-4DC6-96AE-7B8FE962B791.jpeg

jfk1110 and AshesFall like this.
  13. JDRanger

Aug 14, 2017
    More people should know of them. Thanks.

14. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    That is the neatest damascus pattern I’ve ever seen! I usually don’t care for the stuff, especially for the extra cost. That beauty is worth the price of admission though!

15. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    @4mer_FMF - I think these were only about $70 new but it’s just the steel.... no handles or sheath.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  16. AshesFall

AshesFall

Jul 16, 2019
    This is exactly what I wanted to know. Really good video and thanks.

Richard Coyle and JDRanger like this.
  17. JDRanger

Aug 14, 2017
    Very entertaining and educational.

18. JDRanger

Aug 14, 2017
    I bought an Albatross, a Boker, a Magnum (Boker), a Civivi, and a Kershaw Skyline.

All under $100.

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings but this is a case of “you get what you pay for.” The Damascus on these knives is very inferior to blades in the $250 and up range.

They almost seem like imitation Damascus.

I guess it’s slightly better than nothing but I don’t think many people will have a high level of pride of ownership with any of these knives.

Obviously a $350 knife will have better materials than a $75.00 knife but I don’t think you can get “real” Damascus unless you pay that much or more.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  19. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I get what you mean when you refer to something like the skyline, but Civivis damascus is really nice. Not sure if you got a dud or are just being overly harsh.

I've had the skyline in damascus, and the civivi I have is miles above the skyline. It might not be a 650 dollar sebenza level, but it's a tenth of the price.

20. JDRanger

Aug 14, 2017
    I’m probably overly harsh.