Soft Arkansas: too fine? (density)

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Papilio, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    If you use an Aluminum Oxide stone that isn't prefilled and you don't soak, you will find it soaks oil up like a sponge. You may as well be using a dry stone.
    But if you prefer water, you can either buy a stone like Pride that isn't prefilled or soak your stone in soap water. I forgot if you need heat.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  2. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I have found the Norton India pre-soaked from a hardware store. That one I boiled it out. Then oil it at each use. I like it better that way. DM

3. The IB8 India I bought didn't seem obviously 'oiled' when brand new, in terms of seeing it or feeling it on the surface. That said, it still behaved in use liked it had been pre-filled with something. As compared to aluminum oxide and SiC stones I've bought from ACE, which are completely dry and drink up oil like a sponge, the India didn't soak up nearly as much oil in use.

I've always assumed it's a given, that the top-line India & Crystolon stones from Norton were filled, and some vendors of those stones state as much in their product descriptions. But I wonder if it's actually 'oil' per se, or if it's filled or sealed with something heavier, like grease of some kind. The 'Economy' SiC stone from Norton isn't filled, and is ravenously thirsty when new. Oil runs right through it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    David Martin and Eli Chaps like this.
  4. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
  5. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    My local Ace Hardware shows those stones in stock, but the ones at my store I believe are aluminum oxide, not silicon carbide. I have one sitting in front of me that is grey and glazed over on both sides with very little use. The abrasive does not seem to be friable, nor does it shed. I'll have to dress the surface to get it back to cutting. It's nothing like my norton silicon carbide stones.

6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    The Ace stone that is silicon carbide are black. I have 2 of them. A 6" & a 8".
    There was a misprint on the box about the grit of those stones. I think it should have been 80 and 180. As Norton's medium grit is 180 and their std. coarse is 120. But the Ace stone is more coarse than that. I'd say 80- 90 grit. It really drinks oil when using it. I went a coat of Vasoline first then oil. A Great fast cutting stone. DM

7. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    A fast cutting stone sounds good. ACE and Norton are not that easy to find where I live. Plus shipping is too pricey.

Maybe I should buy one of those:
    https://www.hahn-kolb.de/All-catego...-HAHN_KOLB-1521&SelectedFilterAttribut=%5B%5D

https://www.hahn-kolb.de/All-catego...-HAHN_KOLB-1521&SelectedFilterAttribut=%5B%5D

or (maybe better, because they are silicon carbides):

https://www.hahn-kolb.de/All-catego...paignName=CS002&[email protected]

https://www.hahn-kolb.de/All-catego...=CS008&[email protected]

Not the shop with the best price, but I could change the settings to english.

Coarse 100 grit or maybe a combination stone coarse / medium could work, I think.

8. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    There's also a misprint in that ace hardware link above saying those are silicon carbide.

Norton has a good assortment of real silicon carbide stones.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  9. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    You have to find the black one. The grey are not SiC. I have used the black stone a lot and it sheds material as a SiC should and and cuts knife steel quickly. A very economical purchase.. Where as the India does not shed grit. DM

skyhorse likes this.
  10. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Yes I have 2 of the black ones bought 30 years ago which are definately SiC. Ace doesn't have those anymore.

Of those, I'd get the combo (composite by their description) coarse/fine SiC stone.

11. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I purchased both a 6" one and a 8" one in 2018. DM

12. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    Found this one: https://www.amazon.de/Crystolon-Kombinations-Ölstein-Schleifstein-Wetzstein-Körnung/dp/B0847Q8BPG/ref=pd_sbs_60_6/259-8698238-4005650?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0847Q8BPG&pd_rd_r=4a2cab1d-723e-43bf-88ce-bfd15e55c31e&pd_rd_w=3942I&pd_rd_wg=tJks9&pf_rd_p=a03ac387-6e4d-4f6b-96b6-1853da0bb37b&pf_rd_r=TAVPFRRKWV15Q0HEXPH4&psc=1&refRID=TAVPFRRKWV15Q0HEXPH4
    They are also available as 8'' stones. Sorry for the german description. To give it in a nutshell: It is a slicon carbide stone. Rated as coarse and fine. Pre-oiled, but can be used with water.
    Last point is interesting.
    7,50 € shipping is expensive...but would be a good stone, I think.

Ok. As I have a stone that should be an India (unfortunately a soaker), I will take a SiC.

Ok. Good grit progression used before the Soft Arkansas.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  13. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Sounds good, let us know how it works.

14. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    Ok. :thumbsup:
    Thanks.