1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

SOLD - AEB-L Barong/Seax Hybrid Chopper

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by David Mary, Oct 12, 2020.

1. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Finally, my first one in the tough and dependable AEB-L stainless steel! Expertly heat treated by Jarod Todd, and field tested by yours truly, I am very excited for whoever ends up with this piece. For hiking, portaging, clearing shooting lanes or bike trails, this one will get the job done with ease. This will glide through your vines, palm fronds, and thin branches and limbs (say up to an inch thick or so, maybe more with the right technique). And because of the tough steel, and convex ground blade, if you want it as more of a hard use chopper, then no problem, just reprofile the edge slightly more obtuse (or let me know when ordering and I will do so for you), and it should hold up just fine.

The seax style blade is in my opinion the best choice for trail clearing, as the straight tip is much less likely to slip off during slashes than a bellied tip, which means you take limbs in a single swipe, making your work much easier. This knife is large, but well balanced, and accommodates multiple grips, so you can use it for anything from fast slashes and cuts, to hard chops, or carving and whittling.

Specs
    Steel: AEB-L
    Hardness: 61 RC

Geometry: High convex, 15° per side primary edge, 20 micro, .025" behind the edge

Overall Length: 21 3/4"
    Cutting Edge Length: 13 3/4"

Weight: 25 oz

Handle: Layered camo G10, and brass pins and tubes to accomodate any lanyard configuration desired.

Sheath: Black Boltaron (Boltaron is like Kydex, except it resist heat better so it less likely to deform in hot weather)

Price is $295, via PayPal G&S to the email address I will provide in private messaging (not the one in my sig). First to post "I'll take it" gets priority.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_8303.JPG
    IMG_8304.JPG
    IMG_8306.JPG

Choked up grip for agile and quick slashes and cuts
    IMG_8307.JPG

Back grip for harder committed chops
    IMG_8308.JPG

Thumb supported grip for carving tasks
    IMG_8309.JPG
    IMG_8310.JPG
    IMG_8311.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  2. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    I'm opening myself to reasonable offers on this one, though not trade offers at this time. Please send via PM or email. I assure you I will not take offense to any offer, and the worst I can say is "no thank you".

3. scarysamcary

scarysamcary Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 28, 2020
    I'll take it!

David Mary likes this.
  4. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Sold! To the scary gentleman!