1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Some Becker 1095CV abuse!

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by knifejunkie1928, May 15, 2019.

1. knifejunkie1928

knifejunkie1928 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2015
    So yesterday was my first range day in an very long time! An incredibly nice family member, who sadly could not make it, sent along a prized possession. An original M1 carbine from WWII. Also sent along an ammo can full of surplus .30 carbine on bandoleers clips. So when it was time to pull out the carbine I noticed the ammo can was not the kind I'm used to with the pop off lid, but a completely air-sealed one-time-use can. Upon closer inspection, a can opener came mounted on top...so no problem, right? Wrong! That thing bent and snapped after the tiniest amount of force was applied. I didn't travel to the range in my car so I didn't have any of the tools I keep in my trunk. All I had was my modified bk21 mini kukri. I had it MOLLE'd onto my range bag to clear the over growth down the lane. So I certainly wasn't going to miss the opportunity to shoot this amazing historic rifle just because I couldn't get to the ammo. So I decided to hand baton the can open with the kukri... I thought for sure I would destroy the edge and cause tons of chips. NOPE! the edge help up the entire 5 minutes it took me to cut through the metal. Seriously unbelievable: not a chip or fold!

1.jpg

I certainly don't condone this abuse with knives. I only did it because I was in a pinch and was confident I could fix the edge damage on the grinder when I got home. But what a testament to Kabar's 1095cv and heat treat! I do think my convex'd edge played a part. I would worry about a stock V-egde, but who knows.

Here are some more photos I took when I got everything home.

1-1.jpg

1-3.jpg

1-4.jpg

1-5.jpg

Moral of the story: It seems the more I use my beckers the more I find "high end" steel to be unnecessary.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. The Warrior

The Warrior -Dubzerator- Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Awesome! I agree, 1095CV is just fine and dandy thank you. Good post man.

3. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    1095cv :thumbsup::thumbsup: Works just fine ;)

knifejunkie1928 and azwelke like this.
  4. Boss1911

Boss1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Did you check the bottom of the can for the spare opener? They always have a extra one on the bottom of the M1 ammo cans.... ;) Just kidding, Nice work...

5. bearfacedkiller

bearfacedkiller Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I like the fancy steels too but I have never been let down by Kabar's 1095CV.

knifejunkie1928, Xr6x and Tanker 1/66 like this.
  6. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I would have liked to see a pic of the rifle.....always regretted selling my M1

knifejunkie1928 and Xr6x like this.
  7. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    Nice! They hold up pretty well as it turns out!

knifejunkie1928 likes this.
  8. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Love 1095CV, your Mini 21 and The M1 carbine. I carried one for many years in the Swamps of Florida. 110gr bullet at 1900fps works just fine on piggies.

9. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Fancy-schmancy steels cost more and are oftentimes a pain to sharpen - especially in the field; oh, and they are prone to chipping (compared to 1095) and don't like tough duty.

BK&T's 1095CV delivers ... delivers at a tolerable price point and connects one with Uncle E!

Tanker 1/66, knifejunkie1928 and Xr6x like this.
  10. BRab

BRab

Nov 23, 2009
    That steel is tough stuff; and your modified BK21 looks awesome!

Xr6x likes this.
  11. tanglediver

tanglediver Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2013
    I'm imagining some soldier in WW2 trying desperately to open his sardine can, only to have the tab rip off. :mad:

Tanker 1/66, knifejunkie1928 and Xr6x like this.
  12. knifejunkie1928

knifejunkie1928 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Ill work on getting a good knife photo with the rifle... I'm hoping to see it again soon.

13. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    abuse? ... that's in it's DNA ...and bet it was tastey too. :thumbsup:

tanglediver likes this.
  14. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Great, that your blade got you shooting the M1 carbine.

But a gun thread without a pic of the carbine is like a dog thread sans a photo of the pooch!
    Its just not done.
    :D

What is it, GM Inland Division, Rock-Ola, Winchester or other?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    The Zieg likes this.
  15. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm really not surprised. And I doubt it will take a grinder to tune up the blade. 1095CV is terrific steel. To paraphrase a recently closed thread, "Can we just get 1095 on EVERYTHING?" :p

Zieg

Xr6x likes this.