Some Recent Work

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thought I'd share a few pics of some recent work.

First up Mac's chinks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of the carving:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pair of chinks has been beneficial to us already. Had some folks from Switzerland stop by and the lady walked into the office saw these hanging and instantly ordered a similar pair, just changing the colors up some. Her husband ordered a pair too.

A notebook cover for our son in the Army. Has his unit emblem tooled on front:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had made several of these with generic tooling over Christmas time and they had sold very well.

See you are always suppose to read your order forms completely. When you don't sometimes you get them backwards. Like this was suppose to be a roughout scabbard:

[​IMG]

So then you have one for In Stock to sell on your website and you make another roughout one. Water Buffalo straps for the scabbard.

[​IMG]

So then your next order form you check real well and you see that it too is roughout. Not only is it roughout but its for a large loop lever Henry which means a pattern adjustment too:

[​IMG]

A guy has got to finish off some knives as well once in a while:

[​IMG]

And their sheaths:

[​IMG]

Another pair of chinks:

[​IMG]

Roughout split suede, these went to NV:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, in between projects and storms we find our cattle:

[​IMG]

Worry about the goldfish escaping from the water trough into Laguna de Anos Ocha. Who put a water trough in the middle of a lake? Well.....hasn't been a lake there for eight years:

[​IMG]

Say Hi to Scotty. He's the guy that does all the work on this outfit. He replaced three other bulls and does a better job:

[​IMG]

Rope and brand our calves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finished the last one just as the rain started again:

[​IMG]

Hope ya enjoyed this little tour of what we've been up to the last few weeks and questions and comments are always welcome.

2. claude scott

claude scott making custom sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 28, 2011
    Nice work Dave makes a guy want to get to work. See if I can do something that nice Thanks for sharing

3. Macan

Macan

Apr 7, 2014
    I love this posts:thumbup:

4. golfer1

golfer1

Nov 24, 2016
    Had no idea what a chink was before this web site. Not only do you show them off beautifully, you show how they are used as well. Beautiful work as usual Dave. I assume those are Nicole's chinks as it seems you showed that as her saddle earlier. Interesting to me is the rope thru her belt, I assume so she knows where it is and can get to it quickly.
    Your pics are a real education to this guy.

5. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    Dave,

Did you make the saddle Mac is riding in as well?

Jason

6. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder

Aug 12, 2005
    Gorgeous work, but now we know why your cows keep running away. ;)

7. Knife freaky

Knife freaky

Dec 1, 2016
    Great work as usual! Just about to work some calves here as well. Had a massive fire right by our house that's delayed us a bit. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope your son stays safe!

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Dave, as i've said before, i love seeing your posts. real good stuff. love the detail on the chinks. :thumbup:

9. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks Claude and Macan!

Good eye golfer. Yep that is Nichole's saddle and Nichole is modeling Mac's chinks in those shots. Mac is our soon to be daughter in law. While we didn't make the saddle in those pics we did make, besides the chinks, the knife and sheath, her spur straps, the carved belt, and her wool vest. That rope through her belt is the lead rope for the horse. In our style of horsemanship you would never lead a horse by the reins so there is always another rope, a lead rope or as we call it a "get down rope" cause you use it when ya get down. They are about 16 ft long and one end is is tied around the horses neck just behind the head using a bowline knot. The tradition is if you are getting down a lot, doing groundwork or whatever thats where it goes. If you aren't gonna be getting down and leading your horse a lot than it goes around the chest and can get re tie as needed later. In the very fist pic ya can see the end hanging down from her belt it has a braided pineapple knot and a leather popper. This get down was made by Steve Harris and the leather popper has lots of swivel knife cuts in it in a kinda Celtic pattern, very cool. Mine is twisted mane hair from two old horses we had it was made by Merlin Rupp.

Jason the saddle was made by John Willasma. Its just an every day working saddle. Ya wanna see what he does when he's showing off, check the saddle video on his TCAA page:http://tcowboyarts.org/members/john-willemsma/ He made my roughout saddle in the pic with the rifle scabbard too.

Thanks guys. JDM if they were pets wouldn't be any fun.

Daniel glad ya guys came out ok on that deal. I'd seen it on the news. Fire is something we deal with here almost annually.

Thanks TPVT!

10. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Very nice work as always Dave! Thanks for sharing; I always enjoy seeing your work.

11. Mason Knives

Mason Knives

Jan 24, 2015
    Lovely work Dave, its always a pleasure to see, great pictures as always. Thanks!!:thumbup:

Have a great week

paul

12. just-a-hunter

just-a-hunter

Nov 5, 2015
    Those chaps are unreal! I love it all!

Todd

13. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    Fantastic workmanship on quite a few levels. What a treat to see this craftmanship. Gotta be more special to own and use.

14. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.

15. kaizo

kaizo

Oct 17, 2014
    Lovely work as always Dave! I particularly like the colour of the notebook cover. :)

16. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Good to see ya kaizo. What work you been up to? Been a while since ya've posted some. That color is just that Wicket and Craig russet saddle leather 8-10 oz with a coat of warm neatsfoot oil. Then if its been carved we antigue it but wih our own propreitarty mixture. In fact all carving and some tooling (carlos border stamp etc) gets this treatment. So in the pics both chink tops and belts, the leg plates on the second pair, the notebook cover and two of the sheaths got treated this way. We make a mixture of Fiebings Hi Lighter and Bagkote and use that as our antique. Its way more subtle and doesn't wax cake everything like regular antique does. We mix it about 20 parts of Bagkote to one part of Hi Lighter but that can be changed due to your preferences nothing in stone there. Dab it on pretty thick with a foam brush and immediately wipe it off with a paper towel. I put a coat of Bag Kote on first as a resist and that helps keep the color uniform in the non tooled areas. Nichole does not do the resist coat. She built our Gladiator notebook here so that one doesn't have it. Then a thin coat of Bag Kote over the top and call it good.

The eyes of the gladiator she dyed with Fiebings USMC Black and a small paintbrush.

17. kaizo

kaizo

Oct 17, 2014
    Hi Dave! I've been making a few simple belts for myself recently in tan, black and dark brown (I've embarrassingly outgrown my old one :p). Nothing fancy but I'm working on a carving project (clutch bag with carved crest for a relative) and I'm also saving up for a navy or dark green cordovan to make a long wallet. Thank you for the help with the colour I'll definitely give the neatsfoot oil a go! :)

p.s. sorry about the late reply!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  18. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Good deal I'm interested in seeing the carving with the crest. That'll be cool. those cordovans aren't, cheap ya know what us cowboys say: "If you're gonna be a bear...might as well be a grizzly" Ya bet.

19. kaizo

kaizo

Oct 17, 2014
    Absolutely! ;)

Thanks for your help again Dave :)

BTW you might be able to find some from Horween as well but my cordovan supplier Clayton Leather has some interesting colours like dark green, navy and maroon cordovan:

http://www.theclaytonleathergroup.com/

[​IMG]

20. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thats a cool link! Pretty leather. Sure sorry to hear of the attack today.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017