Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by VermontEdge, Mar 15, 2017.

1. HopalongCassidy

HopalongCassidy

Sep 22, 2019
    He's got his own name on his own thread here, with 15 pages of comments.
    89K subscribers on Youtube.
    He's certainly carved out his own niche, and appears to be having a great time with his hobby.
    We are exact opposites; he appears to be a city scientist, I've been a farrier for 43 years.
    I get the biggest kick out of when he mentions "hot spots." LOL
    My hands are swollen, bleeding, and calloused like boot leather; I don't get hot spots!
    I like him.

loon#r, Peakbagger46, AntDog and 4 others like this.
  2. ScottsBad

ScottsBad Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2015
    He is just another YT knife guy. I'm not a huge fan since my interests have moved from urban/suburban folders to outdoor fixed blades.

I got bored with folders, and I just carry a 3.5" Gen 6 XM18 or Benchmade Contego with carbon fiber scales as my EDC. I've got a couple small assisted Benchmade gentleman's knives for business meetings, but otherwise that's all I need in a folder.

Nick is entertaining, but I don't take any reviewer's opinion as gospel anyway. And frankly, knives are mainly tools to me and I just don't have that many uses for a folder other than random stuff I could do with almost any competent knife, such as opening packages/boxes, cutting apples, and possible self defense.

Outdoor fixed knives are presented with a MUCH more diverse and difficult environment and uses, that's why I find them more interesting.

3. kingston73

kingston73 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2013
    I’ll admit, I do like his videos for the most part, they are helpful mainly seeing sizes and opening and closing actions. Having said that, some of my dislikes are generally dislikes for most knife reviews. I think it’s silly when a complaint is that a knife is “too heavy” because it’s an ounce larger than another knife. Another thing I think is a little useless is when he talks about the balance point...I’m not throwing my knives and where they balance is meaningless to me.

colin.p likes this.
  4. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    To properly balance a knife for its intended purpose is an important design attribute. It can make a task easier such as a blade heavy chopper.

newblade12z and NickShabazz like this.
  5. Seadaddy1970

Seadaddy1970

Dec 3, 2018

6. Seadaddy1970

Seadaddy1970

Dec 3, 2018
    I like Nick’s reviews a lot. In fact, if I’m considering purchasing a new knife, I’ll try to find a Nick video review of it before I make the purchase. I can remember a couple times where his reviews made an impact on my purchase decision. He has a good sense of humor too and I find his accent actually entertaining.

elde66, bryan123, newblade12z and 2 others like this.
  7. expidia1

expidia1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Nick Shabazz . . . He’s a beautiful “ting” :D

8. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    He talks funny, but is insightful most of the time. I don’t always agree with what he has to say, but he talks funny, so I stay entertained. :D

jeepin likes this.
  9. Sigguy

Sigguy Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2006
    I enjoy his reviews. Seems like a guy who loves knives and wants to share his feelings about them. Nothing wrong with that.

newblade12z and NickShabazz like this.
  10. Seadaddy1970

Seadaddy1970

Dec 3, 2018
    He also does reviews on other products such as, believe it or not, mechanical pencils. And, he does a good review on them too. And he does it with good humor and that New York accent of his!

11. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I enjoyed him on the recent knifenuts podcast. He really won me over. I guess I never gave him a solid chance before. But now I’m a fan.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  12. Bluedevils 59truck

Bluedevils 59truck

Jan 18, 2020
    Generally, just about every one of his videos have at least one info tip for everybody.
    takes a little getting used to his voice. All in all, " THE NICK " is pretty cool and a help,
    especially novices like myself.

13. dezent

dezent

Sep 7, 2012
    If we would do a knife reviewer review he would come out as a gem and he would be the Slysz Bowie of knife reviewers.

I am Swedish and do not want to be rude to US people but I do appreciate that he speaks without the "uuhm" & "eeeeh" and is not constantly repeating what he just already explained 5 times just a minute ago (sorry guys but this drives Swedes nuts).

NickShabazz and Tigerfan like this.
  14. Rolex John

Rolex John

Dec 4, 2010
    I’ll share a few random thoughts in no particular order.

-it took some time to get used to that accent (they usually get on my nerves) But I’m getting OK with it. I believe it’s a Philadelphia accent.
    -As others here has suggested I do think the accent is fake. For some reason he’s taking great pains to conceal his real identity, which seems very odd.
    -Nick seems like a very odd fellow. Which I think he would agree with wholeheartedly.
    -I get the impression he has a PHD. He’s certainly not dumb despite his frequent attempts to convey humility.
    -He reviews a lot of stuff I’m not interested in, but when the material he puts out intersects with my own interests I generally do watch his videos and find them both entertaining and informative.
    -for a channel of his subscribership, his production value is laughably low. Come on Nick… Invest in some decent lighting, backgrounds, etc. I get the impression he still records all his videos from his phone too.