Someone truely EDC a Opinel?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by spydutch, Jun 26, 2010.

1. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I have some Opinels. They are interesting and pleasing, and are adequate for most things, but they are inexpensive for a reason. You get what you pay for.

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    All the time!! They are light, cut very well, and usually travel in pairs!
    I like them enough that I often cary one or two.

When I go to cattle roundup to brand and often have to cut calves, I always have at least one opinel.
    I take them camping, canoeing, to the beach....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  3. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    There is always a No. 6 in my pocket, along with a couple of other knives. I think an unmodified Opi is a bit of a lump in the pocket unless it is trimmed down. OTOH, I have trimmed Opis as large as a No.10 to be comfortable in the pocket.

CelloDan and Bloefield like this.
  4. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I keep an Opinel N°6 in a small pocket of my cargo shorts. Usually my oak one, sometimes my carbone beech wood, occasionally one of my bubingas.

[​IMG]

I think I hit the lottery with the one on the far right. Matched grain on both sides, and a bit of chatoyance in the right light.

5. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Pretty good hand you have there, but you need an olive wood to fill it out. An olive wood number 6 would make it a flush in the Opinel game!:thumbsup::D

6. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    There's also walnut. I think I went with oak over walnut because it's harder (I think) and it was cheaper at that time, and both seemed equally unimpressive as far as grain and whatnot. An olive one seems like a good choice though.

7. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    I have skinned a sheep with an opinel no.8. They are far more capable than most give credit to. The blade is a little short for that sort of work. A 9 would have been more comfortable.

8. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Opinels are some of best performing knives for any price ...theyre bulky to carry but still get amazingly sharp and have decent steel easy to sharpen.They should make opinels with flatter handles,zytel or micarta handles,and even make variants with liner or backlock.Blade geometry is superb ,and that cuts,12c27 mod is pretty good.Carbon is good enough,should be little harder.I use them every day,but still overall victorinox is better .Victorinox and opinel are the only knives i im buying and will buy in future,their kitchen models too.I edc opinel garden knife....ecxellent performer.

WhoseWoodsTheseAre likes this.