1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Southwest Bowie WIP

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by El Mucho Hombre, May 10, 2016.

1. El Mucho Hombre

El Mucho Hombre

Apr 16, 2013
    Finished forging this one earlier today, trying to get all my forging done before the weather gets much hotter so it'll probably get ground next week or so.

This was as forged.

[​IMG]

After cleaning up the profile on the grinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally managed to forge the choil behind the plunges to set up a nice plunge when I grind it.

It's looking like it's gonna finish out around 9.5" from guard to tip, and I got a decent distal hammered into it. Left a little material at the clip to get clean lines after grinding.

[​IMG]

Steel is 80crv2, doing a stainless guard and some torched curly maple for the handle.

2. Tuchaka

Tuchaka

May 8, 2016
    Very cool thx for showing us

3. El Mucho Hombre

El Mucho Hombre

Apr 16, 2013
    Just did the rough grind, still need to finish setting the tang and fit the guard and handle for it before I do heat treat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    Nice forging skills man! Grinding looks great too. I'm really liking the profile on this, it'll be nice to watch it come together and see it all finished up. :thumbup: :)

I've also enjoyed the other knives you posted here in the recent past as well, you have a good eye and a style that I like. :cool: ;)

~Paul
    [HR][/HR]My YT Channel Lsubslimed
    ... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

5. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Looking very nice so far.

6. El Mucho Hombre

El Mucho Hombre

Apr 16, 2013
    Got my new quench tank setup today so I heat treated.

81mm mortar ammo can, pretty good shape. I use a blend of corn, canola, and olive oils for quenchant. I pre heat my oil, and my 80crv2 blades come out hard enough that a new file won't even try to bite, it's like trying to cut carbide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did 3 blades, 2 small fighters and the southwest Bowie in this WIP.

[​IMG]

Burned the tang slot in the handle wood too. Plan on shaping that tomorrow and getting the other 2 bowies I have in the works heat treated. Guards will probably be next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tapforge

tapforge

Dec 11, 2015
    Nice forging! looks like this is gonna be a cool build.

8. Highlander86

Highlander86

May 26, 2016
    Very nice work!!

9. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    I like the lines of that blade.

10. El Mucho Hombre

El Mucho Hombre

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks folks. Having some health problems so I haven't been working much lately, but it'll get finished in a reasonable time frame.

11. MadBug

MadBug

Apr 25, 2009
    I'd like to see you make a rack to hold your knives up so they are not laying flat taking the heat on one side during the temper.

12. El Mucho Hombre

El Mucho Hombre

Apr 16, 2013
    How thoughtful of you. Always gotta be one.

13. MadBug

MadBug

Apr 25, 2009
    Lol! Didn't mean to ruffle those big Texas feathers. I should have began that post with: I'm A sucker for SW Bowies, and yours looks like it will be a beaut. After all that work why take the chance by pouring the heat to one side of it? Hope we get to see it when it's done.

14. El Mucho Hombre

El Mucho Hombre

Apr 16, 2013
    Not from Texas but thanks for the stereotyping.

You should have began with not being a facetious prick. That would have worked out just fine.

My feathers aren't ruffled, I just can't stand internet big shots who think they know better than everyone else. I don't even care if this gets me banned, you're a prick and I'd like to say it to your face.

15. MadBug

MadBug

Apr 25, 2009
    Sorry, Mucho Hombre, just ran onto this again. Stereotyping? Did they move College Station out of Texas? Look up facetious before you use it again. I've been at this since 1972. It looks like you are doing okay, but why tempt fate at the very end. Only someone who has very limited experience would heat a blade from one side. Probably sooner than later your going to pull a blade out and say "why the hell didn't I stand it on edge". I don't give a flying fuck what you think of me or how tough you think you are, just stand or prop them up and have a happy knife making life.