1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Sprayon truckbed liner..walking staffs..handles..

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Barrabas, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Barrabas

Barrabas

Feb 8, 2005
    All,

If you are looking for something to give extra protection/durability to wooden handles etc, check out the spray on truckbed liners (in paint section of kmart here).
    It is listed as for metal only, but took a gamble and have found it bonds well to wood (Oak specifically that had no finish, another with a base coat of linseed oil and another portion that had a coating of clear epoxy).
    Ever-since I saw the cool staffs in Lord of the Rings (yeah.. I'm one of those..:rolleyes:), I've been making them for fam & friends and for a while now I have been looking for the most durable finish to put on the bottom 2-3ft sections, since that is the place that hits the brush the most, or is used to knock off small dead tree limbs if needed etc..goal being that with the right solution, I would not have to refinish overtime (or at least for a very long time) to protect all the beauty in a favorite staff.

In any event, I am pleased with using it in applications like this, as of course is very durable, and thought that it would also be good for the wood connecting to axe/shovel heads etc. When applying it, if you use a little painters tape to cover the section that you don't need the extra protection on, it can look very nice.;)

It is textured somewhat, but a pretty smooth finish considering. I wouldn't want it on the part of the handle itself that would be held, but for the parts that take a beating, it would work well.

All the best,

seth

P.S. I can't figure out how to post pics, but you want to get an idea of how a staff could turn out in using the coating as a final step when you are making your own staff, just shoot me over your cell # and I'll text some pics.
    My email is [email protected].

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. darthstrevel

darthstrevel

Dec 21, 2006
    This is a great tip - thanks I just finished a walking stick and have duct tape covered with electrical tap on the tip now...as I haven't been able to find a rubber tip locally. I will use the spray paint liner idea that you suggested.

OBTW - to post photos just go create an account at www.photobucket.com - it is very self explanatory after you upload your photos there is even a forum code "one click" for photos

3. Barrabas

Barrabas

Feb 8, 2005
    Thanks Darth! If you have a CVS near you, check them out for cane tips - have got all mine from them. They have steel liners in side and great for non-skid. The spray liner would be kinda slick on hard surfaces (rocks in streams etc). Walgreens may have them too? The steel lined ones have good rubber, and stretch well for a snug fit.

4. B.Mauser

B.Mauser

Jul 22, 2011
    Spray on truck bed liner is great stuff.

I sprayed this shotgun 5 years ago and it has held up great. I have done a couple rifles and some AK magazines also and it really lasts. I sand and prepare my surface nicely first then spend several days spraying on 3 or 4 coats letting it dry pretty good in between coats.

I have also found you have the choice of making the texture a nice smooth surface or rough and bumpy as you want for more grip. Keeping the can in kind of close (but not enough to make it run) gives it a smooth surface and bringing the can out far away on your last coat leaves is bumpy and textured.

Its cheap too. About $6 a can and it will do 2 firearm sized projects at least.

[​IMG]

5. darthstrevel

darthstrevel

Dec 21, 2006
    @ Barrabas,

Again - thanks for the clue about the cane tips at CVS --- I will check it out as ther is one a short drive from my house.

@B.Mauser -

Your stock turned out awesome! ...is that sprayed-on over wood? if so, it looks great! I have beat up stock on my Rem. 870, deer gun that I would be interested in finishing that way...vice buying new synthetic stocks. Doesn't look like I'd have much to lose by trying the stock already looks horrible. (I bought it that way ...it's a tack driver though!)

6. B.Mauser

B.Mauser

Jul 22, 2011
    Yes that is the original wood stock. It works great on wood. I got that shotgun at a pawnshop for $30 with a very beat up stock. Turned it into something fun.

A coat or 2 a day for a few days letting it dry well in between coats. I also like to give it about a week to dry before using it. Even though its dry to the touch it stays wet underneath and will scratch easily until its really dry. Thats when it gets tough.

Here is an AK that I did the wood and the magazine with truck bed liner also.

[​IMG]

7. kfgk14

kfgk14

Jun 18, 2010
    Plasti-dip is good stuff too. Very grippy and durable.