1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Spring Hiking Adventure Part 1: A Ghost Story

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by DocT, May 30, 2016.

1. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    My friends and I used to go camping and hiking about every two weeks. One weekend we decided to hike through a few mountains. We figured it would take us three full days. In those days, there were no telephones and few houses along the highway. The nearest telephones were ten miles in each direction, as a crow flies. The area was pretty remote. We checked the weather forecast and it was predicted to be sunny, with only a 20% chance of rain. It was perfect Spring weather. It was cold enough in the mountains to need a fire at night, and about 60 degrees F during the hottest part of the day. It was beautiful. So, we got my father to drive us in to the head of the valley where we would disembark.

The head of the river flowed on one side, cold and rocky. Two tributaries flowed down from the mountain and joined it from the other side. One came down a beautiful silver waterfall. We started along an old overgrown dirt road that ran alongside one of the tributaries. We soon came upon an old house built back in the 1800’s sometime. It had three floors and was long abandoned. As it was getting on in the day, we decided to spend the night in the old house and hike on into the mountain at dawn the next day.

While one of the guys gathered firewood for the coming night, I went about scouting the house with the other guy. It was a huge old house and it would have been a grand sight in its day. Then, however, it no longer had any paint or varnish. It was just brown, rough, weathered wood. In one of the large rooms on the third floor, we found some old newspapers from the early 1900’s. The main story concerned an affluent family that lived in the area at that time. The wife had lost her mind and killed her husband and two children with an axe. We thought that was a pretty cool find and took the paper downstairs to show the other guy.

Darkness comes early in the mountain valleys and we were surrounded on three sides by peaks. By 3:00 it is already getting dark in those valleys, but is bright up on the mountains. As we sat on the front porch of the house, just enjoying the evening, watching the light die, I suddenly was startled by the sound of voices. The hair stood up on the back of my neck as they seemed far away, but all around us. There were four people talking. I whispered in alarm, “I hear people talking!” He told me I was crazy as there were no people for many miles in any direction. Suddenly, I saw him stiffen and his eyes grew wide. He said, “I hear them, too!” It was eerie. We could hear them speaking as plain as day, but they were too distant to understand. What was worse, they were in the house with us! With our hearts pounding, we all grabbed our shotguns and started scouting the entire house, then, we started looking outside. We found nothing. Nor, did we hear the voices any longer. That was strange.

We decided that there might be some hobos or moonshiners nearby, so we decided to rig warning tripwires and booby-traps all around us. We found some old string and some vines and ran them between the trees outside and put old cans with pebbles in them on the strings. We also put some old glass jars on the strings so they would fall and break. These things would warn us if someone approached the house at night. But, talking it over, because the voices seemed to be inside the house, we rigged the windows of every downstairs room and every door, inside and out, with tripwires to warn us. I found a huge old log and two of us hefted it over the door of the room we were going to sleep in and rigged it with a tripwire. We barricaded ourselves inside.

Feeling safe, I pulled out my Buck 120 that I had been using to cut string and vines, carefully washed it, and began cutting bacon into the pan for supper. During the evening, we heard something moving about and when we looked out into the room where the noise came from, we saw nothing at all. We explored a bit and seeing nothing, we went back into our room and sat beside the fire, feeling disturbed. Finally, things seemed to have settled down and we decided to go to sleep.

Along about midnight, suddenly, something set off the log trap leading into our area of the house!. We jumped up, and grabbed our guns, but there was nothing in the door and no one smashed under the log! But, something set it off. We were now scared because none of the tripwires and booby-traps outside or on the widows had been disturbed. So, whatever set off the log trap was in the house with us!

With hearts pounding and guns in hand, we set out with our flashlights to find whoever was in there with us. We searched the entire house, top to bottom and found nothing and no one.

We finally got settled down and we back to our sleeping bags. As we lay there trying to sleep, suddenly something hammered on the floor between one of the other guys and me, three times with such force it shook the room! Bam! Bam! Bam! like someone chopping with an axe not 6 inches from our faces!. The other guy jumped up, and fired a shotgun round through the floor. We rushed outside and looked under the house and we could see the firelight from the hole the shotgun blast had made in the floor. But, there was not enough room under the house for a man to fit.

Now we were really frightened. At 4 O’clock in the morning we decided we had had enough of that haunted house and we packed up our gear, put out the fire, and high-tailed it out of there. We went up that mountain the dark, risking a broken leg or a fall, rather than spend one more minute in that place.

2. MercyfulfateXX

MercyfulfateXX

Mar 2, 2014
    Another great story Doc! Man, you should write a book! Awesome! Thank you Sir.

3. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    :thumbup: Thanks, Doc.

4. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    A good story. DM

5. gsea

gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    Can't wait for part 2. What region was this in?

6. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    We later found out that the house, was, in fact, the house where the woman killed her family. This was in the Appalachians. The house is gone, now. Somehow it burnt to the ground back in the early 1990's or late 1980's.

7. tom19176

tom19176 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Great story! DocT do you believe it was a ghost?

8. mauser9

mauser9

Mar 1, 2016
    Most enjoyable Doc. Glad you guys had scatterguns.

9. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks everyone. It was an exciting night but the adventure was not over! Wait till part 2.

Tom, what do you think? Was it a ghost?

10. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    I don't care about the ghost. What happened to the bacon? Please tell me it survived. :D

Good story, Doc. :thumbup:

11. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    HaHaHa! No, I am afraid the bacon did not survive our trip. It met with a timely (and delicious) end. :D However, the Buck 120 did survive and is with me to this day.

12. tom19176

tom19176 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Doct, not sure about it being a ghost....I am 56 and never believed in that stuff till a few years back when I was witness to a few things that made me say "maybe"...that is why I asked you....seems like you feel it was....

13. Catherine_Montana

Catherine_Montana

Sep 10, 2014
    Good story and thank you!

Cate

14. dpowers311

dpowers311

Jan 23, 2014
    Nice story. Made the hair on my neck stand.

Dave

15. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I'll give you my take on it all a bit later in the week.

If you thought this was scary, just wait till part 2 of the same adventure!

16. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    nice story, can't wait for part two. :)

17. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    BTW, what year did this take place?

18. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    About 1977.

19. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks. Okay, stop answering my questions and get back to writing Part 2. :D

20. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Based on more mature reflection, here is what I think happened. We were young and in a spooky old house that had seen better years. So, things that would have not seemed out of the normal took on a whole new light. For example, people who travel in the wilderness know that voices carry for a long distance. Added to that, we were surrounded by peaks and ridges, with one to our immediate side and one to our immediate rear only a hundred yards or so. I think the voices we heard were ginseng hunters up on the mountain opposite us where it was still full daylight (it was getting quite dark down where we were). The sound of their voices focused right at the point where we were sitting. I have heard people on that mountain when I was up higher on the ridge behind us, at other times. I think the moving about we heard in the house was probably a family of raccoons or opossums, as it was Spring and such places are sought out by these animals. I think the log trap was simply the house settling and it shifted enough to move the log so that the peg holding it was not enough. I also think the knocks were most likely caused by the large fire heating what had been a cold, damp room enough so the wood started expanding.
    Anyway, that is my theory. I do not believe in actual ghosts (demons are another matter). Though, I will say, that based upon what we know of time, today, some sightings of ghosts could be windows opened in time, so to speak, so the person sees what was in the past as a shadow, but does not realize what is happening.