1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spring position?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jiki, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Why is the position of the spring at half stop important? Or is it just a nit pick?

2. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    It's not important. Like you said it's a nit.

3. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    It's a nit that implies a little extra attention to detail ...

JohnDF and Amir Fleschwund like this.
  4. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    It doesn't bother me, but if it had an effect on function, it might.

Cutfinger likes this.
  5. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    It has absolutely no effect on function. How long do you keep your knife at the half-open? A split second at most when you are opening or closing the knife. A slipjoint is not used at half-open, nor is it stored in that position. Slipjoints that are flush at half-stop, like polished internals on a 1911, do nothing except drive up the manufacturer's cost. That is fine on a custom knife, that extra attention to detail is why you are paying premium, but on a production? C'mon...

Cutfinger and btb01 like this.
  6. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I agree. If it was an important feature then knives without half stops would be inferior, which they aren't.

7. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    A flush half stop is an example of quality and skill. Attention to detail and the skill of craftsman are worth the extra cost in my opinion. It doesn’t matter if he makes one knife a month or a hundred. There are plenty of knives available at every price point. Some manufacturers attain near custom quality (Moki knives as an example). I certainly expect to pay more for a Moki than a SAK.

Elgatodeacero and hornetguy like this.
  8. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    I like it when they stick out. It gives people something to talk about. ;)

hornetguy and redcanoe like this.
  9. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I tolerate half-stops. Don't like them.

10. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Having the spring flat and even with the scales in all three positions is considered a fancy touch that shows off the skill of the cutler. It's an extra "cool factor" which has no impact on the functionality or even of the "fit and finish rating" of the knife overall. Both of my Case Swayback Jacks have it. None of my other knives do.

11. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Hmm... I suppose this is the aim and purpose of a forum...:D

12. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    There’s a thought that half-stops were introduced for strong backsprings as an aid to help prevent getting fingers caught.

One thing I sure enjoy these days are the impressive walk n talk noises and actions on some - quite stunning when it comes right :thumbsup:

JohnDF, Prester John and Dr-Mabuse like this.
  13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    A cosmetic nicety yes, but functionality-none. I dislike non flush springs on open as this affects the handling, doesn't look fit either, same when they're shut.

JohnDF, Matt_WY and Prester John like this.
  14. Joe58

Joe58 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Nov 11, 2002
    This is what I’d heard before too. It’s adds a bit of safety when you’re opening your knife. I’m sure at some point all of us have opened a knife maybe a bit too quickly and ended up sliding your thumb across the edge. Or snapping a knife closed on a knuckle.

Least I’ve had it happen. But I’m one of those guys who’s wife walks by and sees me playing with a knife, then a short time later walks by again and lays a bandaid down next me.

I’ve also read in some threads that on a knife with a really stiff backspring, to leave it laying half open for some time which helps ease the pull perhaps a tad. I’ve not had noticeable results doing this on a nail breaker pull knife. Really tough openers are just something I don’t care for.

Whether or not the knife has a half stop is by no means a deal breaker I should add. If I like the knife, I’ll buy it irregardless. I’ve been pretty lucky here for awhile not cutting myself when fidgeting with a pocket knife, so I’m probably due. Lol. I tend to play with my knife when I’m watching tv or whatever.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    redcanoe, JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  15. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Half-stop?

Shurke, ea42, Will Power and 2 others like this.
  16. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    I think it depends on the knife. I have mostly GECs and I don’t think they pay to much attention to that feature so my preference is to have the spring be proud at half stop, seems like it is under more tension then than in the other two positions and my thought is that makes for a stronger pull and the knife wanting to be either fully open or shut more than it wants to be at half stop. I guess on a custom (of which I have none) I would want it to be flush all around because as others have said it shows an attention to detail.

Will Power and JohnDF like this.
  17. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    That doesn't work for me. Strong springs and a half stop makes it more likely that I'll cut myself, especially if my hands are wet and slippery.

Shurke, seas165, Will Power and 3 others like this.
  18. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - actually agree with you.

Have discussed this very topic with Geoff Hague, maker in UK who is an old hand at all this, and his contention is that a slippie should never need to have a strong spring or a half stop if made correctly and used correctly. Totally agree.

There is a quite an enthusiastic sector of slipjoint users here in UK who prefer a very strong backspring - which they mostly claim makes them feel safer. If I get to the point where the task at hand is making me feel nervous using a slipjoint, I'm either doing it incorrectly or I need a fixed blade.

My Case Bose have semi-circ tangs and therefore no half-stop..........they're just fine :)

Each to their own though, guess more than half slippies made these days - production and custom - have a half-stop.

19. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    The back springs on my 25's are "innies" at half-stop position...:p:D

Matt_WY and JohnDF like this.
  20. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Some of my GEC knives are flush in all three positions, most are not though.
    This makes me think it's just a happy accident rather than something intentional.