Spyderco 2020 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by RamZar, Jan 2, 2020.

1. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    39 new Spyderco knife models were delivered in the first 4 months of 2020 (JAN-APR) with 20 of them (51%) being Sprints or Exclusives (number of new models by month delivered are listed below):

1. JAN 2020: 8
    2. FEB 2020: 10
    3. MAR 2020: 11
    4. APR 2020: 10

Elgatodeacero likes this.
  2. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    It's nice to see all the S45VN PM2s that everyone ran to buy available on the exchange. There are 5 separate listings on the first page alone. It seems so odd that so many bought this knife without knowing what it was and now they are selling. Well, unless they're all flippers. :rolleyes: Buuuuut, that's a debate for another thread. ;) It's a buyer's market. :thumbsup:

3. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    The PM2 S45VN is one of the coolest knives Spyderco has offered in a while. Good color, great texturing pattern and awesome steel. These will be very difficult to come by in a month. I am already anticipating the PM3 version.

4. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Is the s45vn steel going to be that different then the s35vn steel?

5. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    s45vn is closer to s30v than it is to s35vn (as far as performance goes), but no. They're not all that different.

I know a few people who have purchased them just because of the scales though.

loon#r, Roy Batty and Brett Sisco like this.
  6. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    I have read it is an improvement/refinement over S35VN and S30V.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/11/01/crucible-s45vn-steel/

Knife steel nerds say:

“S45VN shows improved toughness and corrosion resistance relative to S30V along with similar edge retention. Or slightly reduced toughness relative to S35VN but with improved corrosion resistance and edge retention. It shows a better overall set of properties, I think, making S45VN a good upgrade to either S30V or S35VN.”

Brett Sisco likes this.
  7. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Well as i own an s35vn i hope i dont regret passing on that. On a side note, my native 5 lw rex 45 just arrived from National Knives. And wow what a nice knife and i must say national knives did a great job. They made sure my blade was centered and they wrapped it in an orange micro cloth. Im impressed national knives... and spyderco, but thats just expected.

Wharn likes this.
  8. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    I dont think through use most people would see a meaningful difference in performance between S30V/S35VN/S45VN in a production folder. At least not enough to repurchase the knife.

With my personal use in consideration, it's hard to even justify a repurchase in M390/20CV/CTS-204P... the performance gains are not enough for me.

The REX-45 that you just got likely would Rockwell at 65 or 66 HRC whereas all the mushy stainless options listed above will typically be around 59-61 HRC on most knives.

REX-45 opens a door to a world where your pocket knife can actually hold a fine edge while being very strong at the edge.

loon#r and Brett Sisco like this.
  9. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I can definitely seem a massive difference in 13c?lmnop and hxp, elmax, d2 etc; and a difference between the d2 and elmax. But the difference isn’t as big.

10. SubMicron

Feb 2, 2020
    I agree completely. Many of those steels do not have a huge spread in terms of performance.

What sets REX-45 apart from all of that is the big addition of Cobalt. With Cobalt, it let's you achieve a significantly higher HRC without becoming brittle. It also causes all of the other ingredients in the alloy to come together better. Everything about it basically becomes better.

With higher HRC comes significantly more strength at the apex. The edge retention and abrasion resistance of REX-45, in part, come from it's high hardness. Depending on how you test it, REX-45 isnt far away from K390, 10V, etc. Meanwhile through normal use, its toughness will be competitive with M4.

REX-45 is a heavyweight super steel for sure.

Brett Sisco likes this.
  11. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Well with that said about cobalt...what do you think of the spy27 coming out? Im pretty sure that has tons of cobalt

12. SubMicron

Feb 2, 2020
    I dont know a whole lot about it, at least not enough to speak intelligently, and I have not used it.

With that said I've heard it described as having performance somewhere around the S30V territory.

Looking at the compositions side by side, some differences stand out.

Screenshot_20200513-170147_Knife Steel Compositions.jpg

As you can see, REX-45 has significantly more Cobalt, which helps it get very hard.

Meanwhile SPY-27 has a lot more Chromium making it more stainless. Chromium also forms carbides. Simultaneously SPY-27 has less of other things that form carbides such as Molybdenum, Vanadium, and Tungsten which means even more Chromium carbides will be formed. Because of that, it's hard to know exactly how stainless it will be.

The carbides formed by Molybdenum, Vanadium, and Tungsten generally have better performance.

SPY-27 seems like a good steel, and for some might be the better EDC steel due to the added corrosion resistance.

REX-45 on the other hand is oriented more towards being a performance monster.

Brett Sisco likes this.
  13. Srtr

Srtr

Feb 9, 2016
    I'm enjoying the people getting rid of their s45vn pm2s. No idea why they are but more for me. Forest green g10 with the diamond arc pattern is hands down my favorite.

Tigerden likes this.
  14. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    deleted

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  15. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    That might be because they thought s45vn was “15 better than S30V and 10 better than S35VN”.

sliceofaloha, on_the_edge and loon#r like this.
  16. Thomson95

Thomson95 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2019
    I personally bought and sold mine based on the new scale pattern. Ive never been a fan of the standard G10 pattern and was hoping the Diamond Arc
    would feel better. It didnt feel great to me so I moved mine along.

17. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Me too, didn't care for the handles either, so I moved mine along as well.

18. tulsamal

tulsamal

May 14, 1999
    Come on... where the heck is the Bombshell?! I like all you guys but checking this thread several times a day is getting old!

SubMicron and orangejoe35 like this.
  19. Peacedivision

Peacedivision

Sep 4, 2018
    22, 25, 26, waved endela, and the pac salt 2's are showing available at some dealers.

20. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    In stock at some dealers:

• Endela Emerson Opener VG-10 Black FRN C243PGYW (Japan)
    • Pacific Salt2 PlainEdge H-1 Yellow FRN C91PYL2 (Japan)
    • Pacific Salt2 SpyderEdge H-1 Yellow FRN C91SYL2 (Japan)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oloung1 and 353 like this.