Spyderco 701 Profiles & Other stones for SE

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by JD Spydo, May 12, 2020.

1. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    For almost 8 years now I've done most of my serrated edge ( Spyderedge) sharpening manually. I've got 3 sets of the older/discontinued Spyderco 701 Profile stones which I mostly use. The 701 Profiles are excellent for sharpening most serrated edges. It takes longer to do it manually but I do like the results. I want to hear from any of you who also use 701 Profiles. And tell us what you use them for. I wish Spyderco would bring back the 701 Profiles in more grit selections.

Also I want to know what most of you use to sharpen your serrated ( Spyderedged) folders?

And it doesn't necessarily have to be a Spyderco sharpening tool. I'm always looking to do the job better. Let's talk about sharpening serrated edges?

2. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    In case any of you are not aware the Spyderco 701 Profiles were a set of stones that had two types of radii on each side, also with a fishhook grove>> they were discontinued around 2014 or thereabout . They were basically meant for doing serrations by manual use as well as using in the field for all kinds of different blades and tool edges.

Now I've heard that one of the new Spyderco Doublestuff stones also have some curved edges to do serrations with. Haven't gotten around to getting one of the new Doublestuff stones but I will get one or two of them before summer. With a lot of the negative stuff you hear about serrated blades I think just boils down to not having them sharp enough.

I also know that a few of you use the 204 Sharpmaker for serrations. That is a good tool to do them with but I like the results of the 701 Profiles a bit better.