1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Im_your_huckleberry, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Im_your_huckleberry

Im_your_huckleberry Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 14, 2014
    An EDC classic and for good reason! Here's my review of the Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight.

Attached Files:

ckdexterhaven and bigolegator like this.
  2. coop1957

coop1957 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Huck,
    I got to agree with you on the BD1 steel. I find that I can get a very sharp working edge
    that holds up well. Easy to sharpen and maintain. I have both the BD1 and S110V.
    The S110v is great but once dull it is a pain to sharpen. Super Steels can be a super pain in the butt.

Joshua25 and Im_your_huckleberry like this.
  3. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    I like my LW Manix 2 a bunch and prefer it to my standard Manix 2. Both are great knives though.

Im_your_huckleberry likes this.
  4. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I have a lw Manix 2 with s110v steel, and one with cts xhp steel. The s110v version pretty much stays in a drawer. It is so hard to sharpen when it gets dull. I much prefer the xhp version. If I had the bd1 version, I would probably prefer that to the s110v blade. Of all my knife steels, the s110v is the hardest for me to sharpen.

5. Im_your_huckleberry

Nov 14, 2014
    I've heard that a lot about S110V, it's a nightmare to sharpen evidently. BD1 is a pretty good everyday working steel from my experience. Same with XHP.

6. Im_your_huckleberry

Nov 14, 2014
    As far as blade length to weight ration the Manix II Lightweight is hard to beat!

Joshua25 likes this.
  7. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Look forward to picking up one of the new CTS-BD1N LW versions.

As for S110V being hard to sharpen,I have to disagree.Been using a Dmt aligned sharpening kit with no problems,except for the polka dot diamond hones that made sharpening the very tip a challenge.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 3:04 AM
  8. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    S110V responds well to DMT Dia-Sharp ultra-coarse (220 grit), followed by DMT red or green to finish.

9. Joshua25

Joshua25

Mar 16, 2018

Now that would be sweet. It seems the bd1n is a vast improvement from the original. Jealous of the new ones but I can't fault my original bd1 blue lightweight, even if my s110v feels that much better in hand.

At the end of the day, i also really like blue! So regardless of the steel i probably would have picked the blur manix