Spyderco Smock

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by emjay4248, Aug 30, 2018.

1. eric0822

eric0822 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Good to know. Keep me posted on when you get confirmation that yours ships!

2. eric0822

Feb 19, 2012
    We shall see!

3. buccilli15

buccilli15 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2013
    The Knife Joker is totally legit. The owner posted pics of the Smock shipment to the FB group yesterday. I also ordered one from there.

Alsharif likes this.
  4. eric0822

Feb 19, 2012
    Awesome

5. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Yes I see where you’re coming from. But for legal purposes in some places it is a good idea.

6. eric0822

Feb 19, 2012
    That seems like an odd reason not to buy or like the knife. That’s not how you are supposed to open the knife anyway, and it’s certainly not practical in any way whatsoever. Why would anyone want to open the knife by using the locking mechanism? Nit. Picky.

sgt1372 and mdrgn79 like this.
  7. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Btw, I saw how they did it and they did it sick.

Big respect to whoever came up with that solution and that is why Spyderco will always be lightyears ahead of the competition.

115Italian and mdrgn79 like this.
  8. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I have enough knives already so unless a knife is exactly what I want I won’t buy it.

That said please read my post right above this one. Spyderco handled it gracefully as always.

Gaius Caesar likes this.
  9. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Travis, the owner, is legit :)

eric0822 likes this.
  10. eric0822

Feb 19, 2012
    Anybody know which Lynch deep carry clip fits the Smock?

11. Pompous

Pompous

Dec 24, 2017
    Should be any spyderco, its the standard screw pattern from what we've seen.

12. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    yup...any standard screw pattern as Pompous said.

13. Darkera

Darkera

Oct 22, 2016
    At 8:00 pm I checked my email and had received an email saying the Smock was in stock (6:00 pm). When I checked, they were all sold out (in only 2 hours)! Lots of hype around this one.

14. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Yes, there's a lot of demand for this knife. I've noticed that they are going for over MAP on EB.

It's a nice knife but it isn't all THAT. Easy for me to say, since I've already got one but, after playing w/it for a day, I put it away and haven't handled it since.

There are a lot of other great knives that you can carry/play with and I suggest (to those of you want one and don't have one yet) that you just be patient and wait to get one when they become more widely available.

Crazy Canuck and Darkera like this.
  15. eric0822

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks!

16. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    I also received an email, but was out of stock when I checked as well

17. Darkera

Darkera

Oct 22, 2016
    I'm still a little on the fence about it, mostly because of the choil. I won't pay over MAP or spend all night waiting for it to be back in stock, but I wouldn't mind picking one up. Pretty impressive to see it sell out that quickly though, good for Spyderco and Smock.

18. eric0822

Feb 19, 2012
    I agree that the choil/position of hand relative to cutting edge seems like a big miss to me. But the fidget factor is a HUGE draw for me. Mine is supposed to be in the mailbox today, so looking forward to it! Got lucky and picked one up from Knife Joker thanks to a tip from someone on here.

19. Babyboomer

Babyboomer

Nov 25, 2017
    I’m pretty taken with the Smock, but yeah, I got hung up on that choil more than once while cutting up some boxes.

20. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    It's not really a full "choil" designed to allow you to choke up on the blade for more tip/blade control. It's there mainly to clear the compression lock release button when the blade is closed.

My complaint about it is that, the way it's designed, the "choil" is big enough for you to want to use it as such but too small to actually fit your finger fully in it w/o risking a cut because the forward corner of the "choil" is too sharp/abrupt and the radius of the "choil" is too small.

I would have preferred a more normally rounded choil. I have the option of taking a dremel to it, of course, but won't in order to round out the choil to eliminate this problem but then this would further reduce the cutting edge of the 3.4" blade from only 2.9" to probably 2.75 or less. Not a good thing.

What I wonder about is why Spyderco chose this way to accommodate the release button when that's not the case w/the Smock SK-23, upon which the Spyderco Smock is based, which is designed with a fully rounded blade choil, which is the way I think the Smock should have been designed instead.

If I could afford and was patient enough to wait for a SK-23 that's that knife that I'd prefer to have but I don't, so the Spyderco Smock will have to do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    rpn likes this.