1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Spyderco steel question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Puppadore, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Puppadore

Puppadore

Jan 18, 2020
    Hi. I am going to get Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight. But there are too many different steels and I do not know these things.

i want something that would not rust or change color, strop/sharpen easily, and will not chip. Which of these steels are it?

CTS BD1
    CPM S110V
    REX 45
    CPM SPY27
    Maxamet (I won’t get this as this is over budget)

2. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't have any direct experience with CTS-BD1, but of all you've listed I think that one might meet your needs best. The rest are either high wear resistance or patina prone.

3. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    CTS BD1N its nitrogen content allows the chromium to provide more stain resistance and it should be easy to strop back to sharpness. And it has good tougness.

As for SPY27 I am not sure havent gotten my hands on it yet. But should be pretty good as well.

REX 45 and MAXAMET are both Tool steels and will patina/stain/rust if not taken care of so that takes those 2 off the table. (I'm aware that maxamet is out of your price range.)

jlauffer likes this.
  4. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Have they switched over from BD1 to BD1N yet?

I like both and agree that either would suit what you describe very well. That said, I'd prefer BD1N but my daily carry for some time was BD1 and I had few complaints.

5. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    BD1 out of those choices and your needs. Although I think you'd probably end up with BD1N, depending on which knife you're referring to.

Alberta Ed likes this.
  6. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    CTS-BD1!!! It will have the least edge retention out of the others on your list, but it does meet all of your requirements.

7. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    If you buy a new one it should be bd1n. It has much better edge retention than bd1, but sharpens really easily and is very stain resistant. I would choose it. My para 3 lw has it and it has been good for me.

BD1 is by no means a bad steel, and if you find one with bd1 I wouldn't shun it.

8. cistercian

cistercian Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I have found their S30V excellent. FWIW.

buckeyejake and vba like this.
  9. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Out of your choices, I would select S110V.

But I think you would be better off to bite the bullet and get Maxamet.

I have a Manix 2 in Maxamet, and it's awesome. Or like the young folks would say. "Like totally awesome, man!":)

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  10. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    If you're gonna be rough with it, rex45... if not, maxamet (regardless of being over budget).
    But since you want stainless, BD1 or 1N meets your requirements. Personally, I'd wait for Spy27.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  11. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    S110V is a fantastic steel -- I have a Military in S110V -- but it is challenging to sharpen and you need diamond hones. But it does hold an edge a long time.

12. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Unfortunately the one you are looking for was a dealer exclusive a few years back.

[​IMG]

I agree with the group that says BD1N will be the best of the present lineup at meeting your desires. (BD1N is going to be in the M2LW this year, right?)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  13. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    You've got a loose definition of "young folks." I think most of the people who used that phrase have AARP cards now.

Also, you're recommending that someone who wants a knife that wont rust or patina, sharpens easily and won't chip buy a Maxamet blade? I'm glad you like yours, I like Maxamet too, but that's terrible advice.

Maxamet is almost a photo negative of that description. It's a pain to sharpen without the right abrasives, it's doesn't even pretend to be stainless and is brittle.

I'd go with the CTS-BD1(N) variant. It's the cheapest, looks the coolest with the poliwash blade and translucent handles, sharpens easily with granddad's Arkansas stones and won't rust or chip in normal use.

ShannonSteelLabs and orangejoe35 like this.
  14. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    QUOTE - "Hi. I am going to get Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight. But there are too many different steels and I do not know these things. i want something that would not rust or change color, strop/sharpen easily, and will not chip. Which of these steels are it?
    CTS BD1
    CPM S110V
    REX 45
    CPM SPY27
    Maxamet (I won’t get this as this is over budget) I don't think you could go wrong with any of them." QUOTE

My personal opinion is that they are all very good knife steels and will perform to your satisfaction I'm sure. Here is one of my favorites but I'd be happy with any of them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  15. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    @GatorFlash1, I recently bought a Spyderco Maxamet folder. I have not done any serious "destruction tests," I just slipped it into my pocket and use it as an EDC.

The best thing I can say is that it came sharp and stayed sharp.

upload_2020-2-22_10-0-22.jpeg

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  16. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    All good steels but given your criteria I think it's between S110V and BD1 with BD1 being closer.
    If you can learn to sharpen decently and use diamond stones the S110V isn't hard to sharpen and it holds an edge really well.
    I'm sure it isn't rustproof like H1 steel and BD1 probably has better rust resistance.
    But for the leap in edge retention you get with S110V and minimal to no rust, I'd just make sure you have a diamond sharpener around and you'll be the most pleased.

I love using my S110V Manix and it's never been hard to sharpen with a diamond sharpener and I've never had any rust like you get on plain carbon steel like 52100.

17. danthaman1980

danthaman1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2014
    BD1N or SPY27.
    (I'd wait for the SPY27)