1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spydercos that are slim and lightweight

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by carrot, May 8, 2018.

1. carrot

carrot

Jan 9, 2006
    I recently got a Bugout despite just not being a "butterfly" kind of guy. I have dozens of Spydercos and nothing I have is quite the same as this knife.

It's light and thin, disappears into your pocket, and packs a really nice length of blade into a comfortably long handle. And despite being so lightweight, it still exudes a feeling of robustness. That said, the locking mechanism really isn't my thing and I strongly dislike thumbstuds over the Spyderhole. Congrats to the blue butterfly for finally making a knife that agrees with me, but I gotta find a new Spyderco to restore balance to my world.

What Spydercos would you guys pit against the Bugout, past, present, or upcoming? If it doesn't exist, how would you go about designing a light and slim Spyderco EDC?

Kreyzhorse likes this.
  2. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The Centofante 4 is a slim, lightweight option, that's about the size of the bugout. Endura/Delica is very slim, unobtrusive and lightweight too.

The Manix in the LW is also lightweight for it's size and for power to weight ratio, not much can beat them.

3. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Slim in what dimension? The Chaparral has a broad blade for it's size, but it's very, very thin and a wicked slicer.

4. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I have to agree,I own a Bugout and find that the best alternative is the Delica or Centofante.

Kreyzhorse likes this.
  5. luke2236

luke2236

Oct 1, 2010
    The stretch is what you seek. It’s an amazing knife and will serve you well.

RipD, Knifeoholic and Kreyzhorse like this.
  6. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Ah yes,how could I have forgotten the Stretch,it's closer to the same blade length.

7. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    LW Manix

Kreyzhorse likes this.
  8. darth_cholo

darth_cholo

Mar 29, 2010
    Native LW. I think they even make a Maxamet versiom

ucfgrad93 and Kreyzhorse like this.
  9. CoryMc

CoryMc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Caly 3.5

10. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    I’m going to offer a different answer. If you want a thin, lightweight knife that disappears in the pocket while still offering a fairly large blade, get an Advocate. My custom is VERY thin and carries better than many smaller knives but still manages to comfortably fill the hand in use.

Kreyzhorse likes this.
  11. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Endura, Delica, Spydiechef, Mantra 2.

The list can go on of course, but there are numerous options to fit your requirements.

dc50 likes this.
  12. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    Are you talking thin as in width, spine of blade to back of scales? Or are you referring to overall thickness of the knife, as if measured when it's laying flat on a table? Due to the Spydie hole, not many are thin wrt to the first description I mentioned. That's one of the reasons I don't carry a PM2 all that much any more. There are better EDC options if one is looking for a slim carry. For those times, I prefer my (*GASP!*) ZTs; namely my 0450, 0450CF, or 0460.

13. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    I like the Kiwi 4 when I need a slim, light weight knife.

toxophilus likes this.
  14. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Chokwe

L.H.S likes this.
  15. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Contunuing Gringo’s slightly different track (...and at the risk of sounding like a broken record...)

The Spydiechef is actually slightly thinner than the Bugout (and Delica) overall/scale wise. Blade wise it’s slightly thicker, but over a much greater breadth. Admittedly it’s taller and heavier, but it’s a lot more knife that is undeniably thin and light given it’s construction and materials.

...thread needs pics :) ...
    2933443E-3412-41E1-A580-F65AF12533A0.jpeg

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    lieferung likes this.
  16. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    For those suggesting a Delica, keep the Mantra series in mind. Similar handle dimensions, but more cutting edge length and less ricasso length makes for a great daily thin carry option.
    spyderco-mantra-hap-2.jpg

17. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Spyderco Military. If we proportionally shrink the Military to the height of any spydercos, it would be among the slimmest and lightest.

18. SaintZe

SaintZe

Dec 20, 2013
    UK Penknife for overall slimmest and lightest, Mantra 1/2 for slim but a little chunkier.

kniferelatedname likes this.
  19. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I was going to recommend this. The blade is a little shorter than the Bugout but the UKPK is a very satisfying knife to own. It doesn't lock but has a strong detent like notch action when open and part way it stops too. One would not think this is such a good one hand closer or fiddle / fidget knife but they would be wrong. it's a really satisfying knife all around.
    . . . aaaaaaaannnnnnd it comes in S110V for not much more if you like that sort of alloy.
    IMG_4516.jpg

ejames13 likes this.
  20. neffarious

neffarious

Jun 23, 2012
    Silverax? Jess Horn? Police? Pattada? Caly 3.5