1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpydieChef thread

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by VermontEdge, Jul 28, 2016.

1. t5brick

t5brick

Oct 4, 2018
    Looks nice! How do you like it?

I’m currently really liking the stock wire clip.

2. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33

Jul 26, 2012
    What was changed with QCI, just the detent ball?

If I have the original version, any real need for the updated one? Thanks!

3. lieferung

lieferung Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2016
    It depends on how you use it, the detent ball was the only thing to rust on the old version.

4. grumpy514

grumpy514 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2011
    I absolutely love it. Have done quite a bit of food prep with it so far. I do love the wire clip as well but unfortunately it isnt Titanium so it cannot be anodized, same reason I got Ti hardware. Sending it off to get a custom ano job done hers soon.

As stated above. It really depends on your usage. The CQI version you could leave in the ocean and it will be virtually free of rust. The older version used a stainless steel ball for detent so that portion would in fact rust. It's in their "salt" series of knives so really it has to be truly rust proof.

For everyday use for most people it wont affect them, for some it was a must. I believe if you have the previous version and show signs of rust. You can send it into spyderco and they will either replace the detent or the knife for you.

5. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33

Jul 26, 2012
    Ya I won’t be leaving mine in the ocean so I think I don’t need a new one haha

6. PiterM

PiterM Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Today's EDC with Spydiechef as a cutting leader :)

[​IMG]

orangejoe35, Filoso, miso2 and 3 others like this.
  7. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I have one and quite like it! It's up there on my list of favorite folders.

[​IMG]

8. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    Mine is breaking in nicely!

9. K9-1

K9-1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    After looking at this thread I'm starting to think that I need a Spydiechef !
    Would anyone happen to have a picture of the Spydiechef and a Rock Lobster together?

10. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    K9-1 and 4mer_FMF like this.
  11. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Just got mine yesterday. "new" from a dealer but it was either a display sample or a return after being carried based on the amount of snail trails on it. Pisses me off but the action is nice and barely any lock stick. I got it to carry and know it would look just like this after a week in my pocket but still, a "new" knife should still look new when you open the box. (Dealer offered a return and refund, no replacement....pretty sure they knew it was a return). Probably just throw it in my pocket and enjoy it.

All that said probably the best Spyderco model for my needs I have yet owned.

12. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    I think the snail trails are from the factory stone wash, not pocket wear. Mine had quite a few too brand new out the box. Blade and edge and pocket clip were pristine.

13. PiterM

PiterM Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Yeah, it has sort of ‚stonewash-worn’ finish from factory. No fear to carry and use, looks only better with time :)

14. K9-1

K9-1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for!

miso2 likes this.