1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Stabilized wood source?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by CPM3V, Jul 12, 2019.

1. CPM3V

CPM3V Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    I am looking for a source of stabilized wood. I have checked all the sticky's and did several searches and was not able to find an updated list of suggested manufactures. I would prefer to buy scales already stabilized rather than buy the wood and send it to be stabilized. (I am just a hobby maker)

K and G and WSSI came up as the places to send scales to have stabilized, Neither has much of a selection of inventory currently. There are a lot of websites on the internet that sell stabilized scales I am just not sure how many are of quality. Any advice or recommendations? Would I be better off to just buy wood and send it out?
    Thanks.

2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    K and G is always worth a phone call. Often they have stock that is not on their site. I have bought from Az Ironwood in the past too and was pleased with it. Check Ben Greenberg's site as well.

CPM3V likes this.
  3. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Greenberg and burlsource are the two I have used in the past.

CPM3V likes this.
  4. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
    +1 vote. Both of these guys are great.

CPM3V and Willie71 like this.
  5. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I would still use them, but I have two drawers full of wood right now. I simply don’t need any!

6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Dang forgot Mark at Burlsource. Have used in the past too. Great stuff.

CPM3V likes this.
  7. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
  8. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Mark at Burlsource

Ben Greenberg

The Timber Joint

Kim Garbutt (@kghardwood on Instagram)

Kiran Abrams (@kiranskoa on Instagram) - Jaw dropping stuff and very expensive.

CPM3V likes this.
  9. Greenberg Woods

Greenberg Woods Wood Fanatic and Rosewood Addict

Dec 27, 2013
    If you would like you can send me an email

razor-edge-knives and CPM3V like this.
  10. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Pete’s kustom koa

CPM3V likes this.
  11. CPM3V

CPM3V Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Thanks, I will have to check them out.

I have bought a lot of iron wood over the last few months from them. They heave been some of the best people I have worked with! I have recommended them highly to several people.

Thanks! I will check them out.

Thank you all for the help!

12. argel55

argel55

Oct 30, 2005
    Terry Dunn is one who comes to mind immediately.

13. danhowl

danhowl

Aug 22, 2017
    KOTJMF likes this.
  14. KOTJMF

KOTJMF

May 4, 2011
    I just ordered a few pieces off Etsy. A search for "stabilized wood knife scales" turned up way more results than I expected. There are quite a few small family-owned shops there that would probably love your business. Thanks for asking the question, it's nice to hear where other people are getting their stuff and I'll definitely be checking out some of the sources others have mentioned.

15. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
    Be careful when buying from places like Etsy or eBay as the "stabilized" wood may just be cactus juice "stabilized" and not professionally stabilized. Greenburg and Burlsource are both on here and you know they had their wood stabilized professionally.

16. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    I do agree that you have to be careful buying from a seller on eBay, Etsy, or social media but there are some sellers there that use K&G or WSSI for stabilizing their wares. And they'll often advertise that's who they use.

There's nothing wrong with stabilizing with Cactus Juice or the other commercially available stabilizing resins depending on how it's done and the wood being stabilized. Some woods like maple and koa will take up a lot of Cactus Juice/stabilizing resin and stabilize easily, whereas others like redwood and amboyna don't stabilize as well.

Ken H> and DanF like this.
  17. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
    Yes, if they say thats who they had them stabilized by. But just stuff that says stabilized, be careful especially if using for customers. Cactus juice vs K&G stuff is very different.

18. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    I am curious: i understand that process can make a huge difference, BUT, with equivalently “good” processes with K&G versus, say, cactus juice, just what differences have been seen in the result (ex. Machinability, sandability, finish, dimensional stability over time, robustness against damage, etc). Just what does “professionally stabilized” buy you?

19. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    All depends on the wood and how it was done. Using an open pore wood that readily takes resin the Cactus Juice blocks I've done will sink in water, or at most float level with water showing it's taken up plenty of resin. That is the same with the K&G blocks I have, either sink or float level in water. Either K&G or Cactus Juice blocks seem to finish about the same and work about the same.

With that said, if I'm ordering stabilized blocks I want K&G or WSSI stabilization because I won't know until I get the block how well it was done, and when ordering there usually isn't enough difference in price of "home stabilized" vs K&G stabilized for me to take the chance. K&G I KNOW I'm getting good stabilization.

I've seen what's called "stabilized" blocks that when asked the seller will say they were "properly soaked" in some type of stabilizing liquid. Nope, that don't work - got to be under a good vacuum, and NOT a hand vac pump for bleeding brakes.

DanF likes this.
  20. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    Professionally stabilized buys you name brand recognition. I can stabilize my own, and I have the right equipment and process, but the name recognition on the K&G quality is what I use in my higher end knives. User basic knives can be cactus juice.

milkbaby, shqxk, kdnolin and 2 others like this.